Author Topic: Sherco WP Suspension  (Read 31946 times)

Clay

• Global Moderator
  • Vet
    • View Profile
    • Email
Sherco WP Suspension
« on: March 27, 2014, 11:31:41 AM »
Last fall I sold a 2013 300i to a guy that works in the industry. I have never talked to him but I talk to his partner quite often. Yesterday I was dismayed to learn that he had sold his Sherco and when I asked why he said that he could not come to terms with the fork. He said it was too harsh. He had emailed me and asked to buy a certain weight (.44 if I remember correctly) fork spring and I never questioned his decision on that spring choice. He rode it with those springs but did not like it. He told me that he gave the fork to a suspension guy who put .46 springs in it and he still was not happy with it. His partner told me that he weighed 210 pounds. He should have been using at least a .48 spring. The bike was harsh because it was too light and letting the fork ride down low in the harsh part of the stroke. Had he called me I would have swapped out the first set of springs with the correct springs and I am certain he would have been happy with the fork.
This past weekend I rode the Concho National Enduro in west TX. I was really pleased at how well the fork worked over there. I am now running a progressive .46/.50 spring and it really soaked up the rocks and roots but was good in the big stuff.
The point I am making is this:
1. We have been racing the Shercos now for a year and have a really good handle on what works. Call us and ask!
2. Unless you are super fast, you don't need to send the forks to be re-valved. They are really good stock if you spring them correctly.
3. If you do send them to a suspension guy, make sure it is someone who has experience with this motorcycle. If the put the valving in it that they use on the similar orange bike, it won't work correctly. This bike ain't the same as the orange brand and it does not work the same.
4. Don't be afraid to turn the clickers! Four clicks in one direction or the other makes a big difference. If it feels worse, go back and then go four more in the other direction. Four clicks will allow you to feel the difference. I am often surprised at the number of people who tell me they never turn the clickers.
5. If you want we are happy to set the bike up with the proper weight springs front and rear before we ship it to you.
My point is this...if you need suspension set up advice we can help. Don't be afraid to ask.
Clay Stuckey
Sherco Offroad  www.shercooffroad.com
email: clay@shercooffroad.com
cell: 615 347 6519
Tennessee, USA

Powercat

• Novice
    • View Profile
Re: Sherco WP Suspension
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 04:57:05 PM »
I only have one race on my '14 300i but I think the suspension is every bit as good as any of my orange bikes.  I'm looking forward to getting a few more races in on it and then I'll be able to provide better feedback.  I'm 200lbs and went with the springs that Clay recommended and set up on the race settings. 
My local Sherco dealer...http://www.motoadventure.com/ Great shop and great people!

terrible1one3

• Junior
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 06:44:05 PM »
I am one of those guys that doesn't mess with suspension much. I adjusted my street bike to recommended settings and that is where it has been for 8 years.

I bought a '13 se300i and haven't touched a thing and I am very happy. I was coming off a heavy dual sport and before that MX bikes. Riding woods most of the time I am very happy. Some day I may take up fiddling around but only if I'm really bored waiting for an orange to catch up... (J/K I'm not very fast).

weantright

• Vet
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 05:44:15 AM »

5. If you want we are happy to set the bike up with the proper weight springs front and rear before we ship it to you.
My point is this...if you need suspension set up advice we can help. Don't be afraid to ask.

Add this to my order for next month!
2017 6 days 300sef-r w/DalSoggio and flow (Stolen), 2016 XTrainer w/Rekluse & KYB's, 2014 Husky FE250
Ohio, USA

Ridge rider

• Junior
  • 423-525-0919
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 06:33:47 AM »
At a buck-75, the stock springs work great for this 50A rider.  As Clay says, play with the clickers, spring sag and you'll be happy.   From the slow gnarly root & rock gardens to high speed fire roads, I have complete confidence in my suspension. 
Lebanon TN
USA
2015 300SE sold
2013 300i sold
2015 300i sold
2017 300i 6D SOLD
2020 KTM 500EXCFW 6Days
2020 KTM 350 XCFW

Nitsuga

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 08:18:18 AM »
I have always sent my WP forks to be done at Race-Tech. I have to say that on the Sherco the effect was hardly noticeable. Gold valve + valving but not worth the money.

On the orange bikes it made a huge difference.
Sherco 300 Sef-R 2017
Sherco 300 Sef-R 2015 (going)
Sherco 300 Sef-R 2014 (Gone)
several orange bikes before seeing the light

Temuco, CHILE

JLow

• Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 07:23:33 PM »
When I got into bikes at a young age, I learned to just ride them and never, ever, adjusted the suspension. My latest bike is an 08 WR450(bought new in early 09). I revalved the forks and shock due to crappy stock suspension. Over the past several years I have been tinkering and readjusting to get the best, predictable, all around settings for the East coast woods, rocks, roots, hill climbs, etc that  I ride. On the demo rides of the Shercos, one of the first things I noticed was how well the stock suspension worked without any adjustment on my part compared to my modified WR450. For someone to not take the time to ask the questions and  try to sort out a suspension setup is a complete idiot. I just wish I could have gotten that bike for a good price. I have cleared my first big hurdle and have the Boss's(wife)approval for a new Sherco. Now to round up the $$$ and harass Clay.
'19 FSE 300
'14 Sherco 300 SEF-R (Miss Sweets)
'14 Sherco 250 SE-R (Miss Spicy 3Huney)

Nashville, TN USA

DannyB

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 02:00:44 AM »
210 lbs is just on 95kg - sherco manual says a 4.4 fork spring is needed - are you saying the sherco recommended spring rates are two steps too light?

I am 90 kg and have just put 4.4 fork springs and a 54 shock spring in - yet to ride though

Don't know what you'd do if you weigh more and need an even heavier shock spring - because of how tight everything is in there WP could only make it stiffer by lengthening the spring. Mine was near 280 long and barely fitted on with the collars wound right off !

Clay

• Global Moderator
  • Vet
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 06:31:58 AM »
210 lbs is just on 95kg - sherco manual says a 4.4 fork spring is needed - are you saying the sherco recommended spring rates are two steps too light?

I am 90 kg and have just put 4.4 fork springs and a 54 shock spring in - yet to ride though

Don't know what you'd do if you weigh more and need an even heavier shock spring - because of how tight everything is in there WP could only make it stiffer by lengthening the spring. Mine was near 280 long and barely fitted on with the collars wound right off !
This info was for the 300 4T. The 2 strokes don't work the same with the same springs. They need lighter springs than the 4T.
Clay Stuckey
Tennessee, USA

dazzabb

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 01:54:15 PM »
Will the springs from 2010 WP OC forks fit the 2014 OC forks?
2016  KTM 250F Six Days
2009  Gasgas 280 Trials

Chiang Mai, N. Thailand

Clay

• Global Moderator
  • Vet
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 08:01:03 AM »
I don't know. I have no experience with the 2010 models.
Clay Stuckey
Tennessee, USA

paxx

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2014, 03:11:06 PM »
Will the springs from 2010 WP OC forks fit the 2014 OC forks?

I think they do, not 100% sure.

clydesherb

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2014, 08:29:46 AM »
I got the fat guy springs for my 300I from Clay last week. great improvement, much more stable in the rocks at all speeds. had to slow down the rebound some front and back. left every thing else the same.
I'm 200lbs an carry a lot of tools.

made a great bike even better

Thanks Clay
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 08:40:35 AM by clydesherb »
Mt. Pleasant, Pa  15666
USA

2013 300i
2005 scorpa trials
2011 390 Berg

Nige1233

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2014, 10:23:17 PM »
ive fitted a trax shock on the 2014 250 2 t now shes  good love the bike a total transformation does exactly what it says on the tin well worth the money 

Pancho Villa

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2014, 08:46:27 AM »
Two questions in regards to the trax shock.
1: where did you get your trax shock and approx what was the cost of the shock?
2: does this shock require maintence every 20hrs(rumor I'd heard)?

Brian Villanueva
Johnson City,TN
2015 Sherco 300 SE-R