Author Topic: 2019 300SEF Factory Flameouts  (Read 2835 times)

Dangermouse

• Intermediate
  • Everything looks better when you're on a dirtbike
    • View Profile
2019 300SEF Factory Flameouts
« on: March 26, 2019, 12:07:30 PM »
Hello all,
I have a new 2019 300 SEF Factory, loving the bike as it's even better than the 2017 I traded.

Unfortunately, as I I've had the previous version to compare, this one flames out fairly regularly....
At first I thought it was me trailing too much rear brake, or not enough clutch over logs etc, but now at 20hrs and it's still apparent.

Ive reset the TPS resistance to the middle of the range by the handbook and cleaned the idle stepper motor and MAP/IAT sensor.
 My dealer here in Aus suggested I change the spark plug (I argued that it is perfect as you'd expect, but have changed it none the less) I haven't had a chance to ride it since.
Ive also tweaked the idle screw up a smidge.

Anyone else having issues & found a fix?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 12:09:04 PM by Dangermouse »
2019 300 SEF Factory
2011 TE449
Admin - Sherco Riders & Owners FB group
Just an old quick trail rider having a go.
From Qld Australia 🌏

JD79

• Junior
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 2019 300SEF Factory Flameouts
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 02:43:45 AM »
I found mine was a bit rough just off idle/at the crack of throttle and had the odd flameout. The TPS adjustment didn't seem to change much but adjusting the idle screw up has made it sweet now. If I'm in first on hard flat ground doing only walking pace with the clutch out and throttle off, the bike will just about be pushing itself along pretty much and the transition to throttle opening is smooth. I was a bit unsure if I'd gone too far but everything felt good and smooth on the last ride.
'19 300SEF Factory
'14 300SEF Factory
Australia

Twerp

• Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 07:13:15 PM »
Interesting trying to dial in my 19' Factory 300sef. Always felt the idle was high as it is but im coming off a 2t.

GCBC

• Novice
  • Do you even BRAAP?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 06:52:56 AM »
Have you tried adjusting the tps to a slightly higher v to end up making the bike run slightly richer like everyone is doing with the ktm for flameouts?

JD79

• Junior
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2019, 05:32:58 PM »
Interesting trying to dial in my 19' Factory 300sef. Always felt the idle was high as it is but im coming off a 2t.

Do you feel much engine braking? My 2019 had a lot more than my 2014 which led me to adjust the idle screw.

The screw is pretty touchy so it doesnt take much and I think it only moved by 1/8th of a turn. Mine could have been a one off.
'19 300SEF Factory
'14 300SEF Factory
Australia

Twerp

• Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 01:07:06 AM »

Do you feel much engine braking? My 2019 had a lot more than my 2014 which led me to adjust the idle screw.

The screw is pretty touchy so it doesnt take much and I think it only moved by 1/8th of a turn. Mine could have been a one off.
My bike has pretty heavy engine braking. Wheres that idle screw at?

JD79

• Junior
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2019, 02:34:33 AM »
Idle screw is circled in the pic below. The tank needs to come off to get to it properly and it is a torx screw on the left hand side. It is tight to turn and you turn it clockwise (tighten) to up the idle. Funnily enough the earlier bikes people had the opposite issue and were dropping the idle - thread here http://shercoforum.com/index.php?topic=960.0
'19 300SEF Factory
'14 300SEF Factory
Australia

Clay

• Global Moderator
  • Vet
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 10:09:26 AM »
Guys that ain't an idle screw. Its hard to turn because its not supposed to be turned. I sent an email to Sherco to ask about this and got this reply:
First thing to do, is to remap the ECU with the last mapping.
After I see that he have touch the idle screw, this is a bad thing… I hope that he don’t have damage the injector body (by the contact between the butterfly and the body).
Clay Stuckey
Sherco Offroad  www.shercooffroad.com
email: clay@shercooffroad.com
cell: 615 347 6519
Tennessee, USA

Twerp

• Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 01:14:35 PM »
Guys that ain't an idle screw. Its hard to turn because its not supposed to be turned. I sent an email to Sherco to ask about this and got this reply:
After I see that he have touch the idle screw, this is a bad thing… I hope that he don’t have damage the injector body (by the contact between the butterfly and the body).
Thanks Clay but what does some guy in France who built the bike know.. :P

JD79

• Junior
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2019, 04:17:54 AM »

If it aint an idle screw, why did he call it an idle screw??  :o :P

It is a stop position screw which obviously sets the stop position of rotation of the butterfly and the direction it is being turned to up the idle sends the butterfly away from the body further opening it. The guys adjusting it the opposite way on the 2014's etc were backing the screw off allowing the butterfly to close further. Maybe not the ideal fix but worked for me. There is no way I'm taking it back to the shop for remapping. My question would be how is the map crap to begin with if the throttle body is set correctly?
'19 300SEF Factory
'14 300SEF Factory
Australia

bhuizer

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2019, 11:54:02 AM »

It is a stop position screw which obviously sets the stop position of rotation of the butterfly and the direction it is being turned to up the idle sends the butterfly away from the body further opening it. The guys adjusting it the opposite way on the 2014's etc were backing the screw off allowing the butterfly to close further. Maybe not the ideal fix but worked for me. There is no way I'm taking it back to the shop for remapping. My question would be how is the map crap to begin with if the throttle body is set correctly?

Curious, why are you hesitant to remap the engine if Sherco has made improvements? If your dealer has the diagnostic tool, it is literally a 3-5 minute job to upload a new fuel map.
Current:
2019 Husky TX300

Former:
2017 Sherco 300 SEF-R
2015 Sherco 250 SE-R

Monroe, Iowa

Twerp

• Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2019, 12:34:02 PM »
Yep remapped mine took 5 min.

Clay

• Global Moderator
  • Vet
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2019, 01:16:47 PM »

Probably because DM called it an idle screw. Most of the time when we have this mapping issue its because the bike has a Race map instead of an Akro map. And I have three mapping tools/computers and will send one of them to a customer if he needs it. No charge. You pay shipping. You don't even have to go back to your dealer.
Clay Stuckey
Sherco Offroad  www.shercooffroad.com
email: clay@shercooffroad.com
cell: 615 347 6519
Tennessee, USA

Twerp

• Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2019, 04:05:48 PM »
Spark plug gap a big deal on these 4t? Would it help decreasing gap?

JD79

• Junior
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2019, 02:49:49 AM »

Curious, why are you hesitant to remap the engine if Sherco has made improvements? If your dealer has the diagnostic tool, it is literally a 3-5 minute job to upload a new fuel map.

No issue with trying a remap actually, more about the shops/dealers I've dealt with here in Australia not inspiring me with confidence. If we had a great distributor like Clay and a good dealer... or even Clay's offer of just paying the postage I would happily give that a try.
'19 300SEF Factory
'14 300SEF Factory
Australia