Author Topic: If you were building a new motorcycle......  (Read 36086 times)

Clay

• Global Moderator
  • Vet
    • View Profile
    • Email
If you were building a new motorcycle......
« on: April 21, 2014, 05:25:39 AM »
.......What are some of the things it would absolutely have to have?
Obviously top shelf components like:
Brembo or Nissin brakes
WP, Showa or Kayaba suspension (Would Marzocchi fork or Fox shock be acceptable?)
3.2 gallon tank
e start and kick start
Lights but option of number plate?
Kehin or Smart Carb?
Obviously different seat heights
Adjustable foot peg height?
Adjustable bar positions
FMF exhaust as standard equipment
What about guards (rad and disc guards) as standard equipment? (Remember that things like this as standard equipment add to the price of the bike.)

One of the things that has always irritated me is that when you buy a bike the things that you replace you pay for twice. In other words, if you buy a bike with Renthal bars but you replace them with Flexxbars, you have paid for both sets of bars. Wouldn't it be cool to have the option of ordering a bike with some things as options like tires, wheel color, seat height, footpegs, etc. For quick delivery, the bike would have to be 85% built and then those items could be added.
What do you think?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 03:26:53 PM by Clay »
Clay Stuckey
Sherco Offroad  www.shercooffroad.com
email: clay@shercooffroad.com
cell: 615 347 6519
Tennessee, USA

Boom Boom

• Expert
    • View Profile
Re: If you were building a new motorcycle......
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 06:52:34 AM »
My BYOB Beta trials bike came that way.
A bunch of extra bling for only a little more $$$.
Great idea.
Is there a tax advantage or disadvantage if you were to import just the frame & engine? Could that be considered parts and not a motorcycle?
Build the bike from that?
Carlisle Pa
2016 Sherco 300 SE-R
2016 Scorpa 300 Factory
Bultaco 350 199b

weantright

• Vet
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 07:00:09 AM »
Like BYOB with Beta?? Hopefully you would give a realistic credit on the parts being replaced unlike Beta. The suspension options would be huge in this sport if the options were plentiful and much less expensive that buying it yourself and selling the take offs. Fox shox is a very nice option on any bike. Tank option that gives a 100 mile range should be standard,,, period!

For you to make money you would need to get the bikes without wheels, suspension, seat,,,,,, then purchases items per buyer's request. Otherwise you would have a bunch of stock items laying around costing you money while not being able to give the buyer a good discount for these options,,,, like Beta.
2017 6 days 300sef-r w/DalSoggio and flow (Stolen), 2016 XTrainer w/Rekluse & KYB's, 2014 Husky FE250
Ohio, USA

Palito

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 08:02:05 AM »
Get a bike the exact way I want it right out of the box, pinch me I must be dreaming! Oh if that day ever comes...sign me up.
What about gearing, auto clutch or how about a full on Automatic transmission, OK now I am dreaming.

Great idea, nightmarish logistics I would think.

Bob Billyard

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 08:37:25 AM »
Car manufactures offer it why can't motorcycle manufacturers offer the same. I see 3-5 option packages.

Currently Sherco offers three packages. One without WP forks (Racing), one with Sachs forks (Standard) and the Factory version with clear tank, FMF, Akro etc.

Why not expand that package to include other options. Why not offer the packages through the entire year?

We know there is no demand for a Sherco standard model, Racing for sure and I know now that the Factory model will sell well also. Why not offer other options?

weantright

• Vet
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 10:33:51 AM »
Your not dreaming because Beta does it but before all run out an buy one, the prices can be found online for the same and some less. You will need to do the labor to install and also the take-offs are now a spare or sell them for cash. If Sherco can eliminate these draw-backs then it is an advantage for them vs. Beta or other brands.

Bob Billyard, what you are offering is just more models and not options as posted by Clay. I would love to have a different fork and shock package but not an exhaust. Going back years when I was in snowmobiling the manufactures had "snow check" deals. These were advertised as build you sled when it was just another model which are now known as snow check models. For this to blow away the market, you would need to build from the frame up which not only be a logistics problem but cost will go crazy high. Throw in frame color, DLC, anodizing,,,,, and you are a manufacture vs. a importer/reseller/dealer.
2017 6 days 300sef-r w/DalSoggio and flow (Stolen), 2016 XTrainer w/Rekluse & KYB's, 2014 Husky FE250
Ohio, USA

Boom Boom

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 12:02:44 PM »
It would be interesting to see if Sherco would offer a "in house" bike.
Just what they produce. Nothing that the have to purchase after market would be supplied. Then each guy wanting his dream bike can build it without any cast away parts to be sold or stored.
If the price was reasonable enough you might have an interesting edge on the market.
Carlisle Pa
2016 Sherco 300 SE-R
2016 Scorpa 300 Factory
Bultaco 350 199b

Bob Billyard

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 12:44:37 PM »
My contracted territory is Canada and I cannot and would not sell into the USA. Clay and I discuss regularly how to better support our dealers and customers. My guess is Clay will give his opinion on special order bikes and I will approach the factory to get their opinion.

I am in favour of always pushing doors open and I don't much care for the saying "this is the way its always been done".

cheers

gasrider17

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
    • Nova Scotia Off Road Riders Association
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 01:48:42 PM »
It would be interesting to see if Sherco would offer a "in house" bike.
Just what they produce. Nothing that the have to purchase after market would be supplied. Then each guy wanting his dream bike can build it without any cast away parts to be sold or stored.
If the price was reasonable enough you might have an interesting edge on the market.

That is a way simpler way to do it. No rad louvers, rear sprocket , chain, grips, bars, graphics, skid plate or tires. Then put an extra set of wheels in the box. A true racer package.
2015 Sherco SER 300 Factory
Nova Scotia, Canada

Clay

• Global Moderator
  • Vet
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 02:15:41 PM »
Holy cow! We're still on page one and you guys are worrying about how to do this and not answering my question. Let's get back to the question here....what do you want on a bike? Let me and Bob and Sherco worry about the logistics. We're trained professionals here!   ;D
Weantright.....100 miles minimum? Racers don't want a tank that big. I realize you don't have to fill it all the way up but just that much plastic alone would be a lot. That's my opinion but if enough people want it I would build it in my dream world here. I really do want to think out of the box and I do want to know what the options you guys feel are necessary for the perfect bike here in the US. I also especially want to hear from you guys who own orange bikes and who read the posts but usually don't comment. Now's your time!!
Just to add some food for thought....
How about things like a side stand with a big enough foot on it so it doesn't sink into the ground? How about a swingarm with a mounting bracket so you could bolt a steel or aluminum disc guard to it rather than replacing the stock aluminum caliper carrier? How about a swingarm with a beefy mounting tab for the chain guide so that you did not have to add a tab strengthener?
These are the things I want to know.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 04:12:09 PM by Clay »
Clay Stuckey
Tennessee, USA

DaveR

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 04:20:07 PM »
How about side,front and rear air bags?  Trees wouldnt hurt so much.  A pause button would be great also so that way you can change bikes with other riders so they hit the trees and not me.  Just some suggestions for you Amazing Blaze.  Couldnt resist. 
Nashville Tennessee
USA

Clay

• Global Moderator
  • Vet
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 04:32:21 PM »
How about side,front and rear air bags?  Trees wouldnt hurt so much.  A pause button would be great also so that way you can change bikes with other riders so they hit the trees and not me.  Just some suggestions for you Amazing Blaze.  Couldnt resist.
I've seen you ride. You certainly could use more protection! Haaaaaaa!  :)
Clay Stuckey
Tennessee, USA

john01

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2014, 04:52:49 PM »
Biggest thing I hear/read is e-start and no back up kicker.  It's not going to stop me from getting a Sherco but I hear it's a deal breaker for some.   BTW I don't want no big ugly gas tank but an option for some would nice.  The new Sherco's sound like they have every thing I could want but thanks for asking,   
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 06:53:57 PM by john01 »

johnafero

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2014, 05:16:40 PM »
Just a few thoughts for now, Four stroke Race bike. No odo computer, Graphics into the plastic, Stronger rear brake spring, Clear tank 3.2, Tighter rear link, Quicker starting for dead engine races, no guards as standard, Suspension seems fine it's something that can be worked with. No mention of Ohlins by anyone, just wonder why.

Clay

• Global Moderator
  • Vet
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2014, 06:23:40 PM »
John,
After working with Ohlins stuff on the Gas Gas brand, I think that their quality has gone downhill some. The support from Ohlins was definitely below expectations for me.
Also are you saying you don't want an odo/computer or do want one?
Clay
Clay Stuckey
Tennessee, USA