Author Topic: Im New to Sherco's  (Read 727 times)

GaryB

• Novice
    • View Profile
Im New to Sherco's
« on: April 12, 2019, 01:17:53 PM »
Hey all, as above im new to Sherco's,
Ive got a 300 SEF-R 300 2018 Six days, bought with 12 hrs on it.
now it has 42hrs, pervious owner got injured so couldn't ride it.

Ive moved from a Beta 300 2T racing edition, all I can say is wow what a great move, 2T to 4T took a bit of getting use to, engine breaking takes some getting use to also, & a MAP Switch that works well!.

Anyway I need some help with some thing please, I do basic maintenance, when do I need to get maintenance on the engine done approx hrs? I'm only doing trail riding, and what maintenance do I need get done! im doing the air filter ever other ride, oil at 25 hrs, just done the spark plug at 38 hrs, but nothing else.

Add ons, I need a fan kit, radiator protectors, and a exhaust front pipe protector its got a full akrapovic exhaust I've already put a dent it in, I would prefer to buy in the UK but I don't mind buying from another country, Im asking on here because you guys have probably done all the tests what works and what doesn't work.

Thanks Gary

GCBC

• Novice
  • Do you even BRAAP?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Im New to Sherco's
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 06:49:36 AM »
Call my crazy but I wouldn't go 25hrs on oil in a DRZ let alone a race bike

david.bergen

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 11:36:17 AM »
Can you explain the difference between the bikes a bit? I am also considering the change to the 4st . ( sefr 250)
At the moment also on a rr250 racing my 2016

Hey all, as above im new to Sherco's,
Ive got a 300 SEF-R 300 2018 Six days, bought with 12 hrs on it.
now it has 42hrs, pervious owner got injured so couldn't ride it.

Ive moved from a Beta 300 2T racing edition, all I can say is wow what a great move, 2T to 4T took a bit of getting use to, engine breaking takes some getting use to also, & a MAP Switch that works well!.

Anyway I need some help with some thing please, I do basic maintenance, when do I need to get maintenance on the engine done approx hrs? I'm only doing trail riding, and what maintenance do I need get done! im doing the air filter ever other ride, oil at 25 hrs, just done the spark plug at 38 hrs, but nothing else.

Add ons, I need a fan kit, radiator protectors, and a exhaust front pipe protector its got a full akrapovic exhaust I've already put a dent it in, I would prefer to buy in the UK but I don't mind buying from another country, Im asking on here because you guys have probably done all the tests what works and what doesn't work.

Thanks Gary
Husky wr 125 (2013)
Ajp pr4 (2014)
Beta xtrainer 300 (2015-2016)
Beta rr 250 racing (2016-2017)
Belgium

GaryB

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 01:29:52 AM »
Call my crazy but I wouldn't go 25hrs on oil in a DRZ let alone a race bike

The manual says ever 20 hrs and that's in a racing environment, im not racing, and are using a very good oil.

Benzene_77

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 10:46:50 AM »
My 2016 300sef has about 250 hours and 5000km.  Change the oil probably at 10 hours only because i find it therapeutic working on the bike and theres not much else to do other than clean it. I send it in for an annual checkup. Valves havent been adjusted yet, plenty of life left in the top end. The only thing thats needed attention is the throttle body which seems to need regular cleaning. Riding a mix of multiday trail rides and technical singletrack. 

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Dangermouse

• Intermediate
  • Everything looks better when you're on a dirtbike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2019, 06:36:06 PM »
I do engine oil every 5hrs and oil filter at 20hrs.
It only contains 1lt of oil to do the engine and transmission, it gets worked pretty hard.
You will also find the oil dark from fuel contamination at around that 5hr mark and beginning to dilute. (confirmed by oil sampling)
Oil is cheap and easy to do, change it often.
2019 300 SEF Factory
2011 TE449
Admin - Sherco Riders & Owners FB group
Just an old quick trail rider having a go.
From Qld Australia 🌏

Clay

• Global Moderator
  • Vet
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 05:17:21 AM »
Also shifting seems to get notchy if you go too long on it.
Clay Stuckey
Sherco Offroad  www.shercooffroad.com
email: clay@shercooffroad.com
cell: 615 347 6519
Tennessee, USA

devans

• Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2019, 10:51:49 PM »
Also shifting seems to get notchy if you go too long on it.

Yes, I noticed that when I was originally only changing the oil every 10 hours. Hence I now change my oil after 8 hours.
2015 300 SEF-R Factory
Australia