Author Topic: adjusting my new Sherco  (Read 596 times)

Mischa

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
adjusting my new Sherco
« on: April 30, 2019, 12:26:05 AM »
Hi All

So this past weekend, I had my first ride on my Sherco SEF-R 300 Factory 2014 I have bought used. What can I say, I absolutely loved it, the engine is so smooth and controllable, the bike feels light and the overall ergonomics worked great for me. However, there were a few things that jumped out to me and would like to improve. I gathered as much info as I could find, but some things are not quite clear to me, so hopefully you experienced folks could guide me a bit:

- I saw that there are taller seats, but are there lower seats as well? I am not very tall (5'8''), so in rougher terrains I had trouble reaching the ground with my boots, which caused me to tip over a few times. What do smaller people like me do in this case? I know, improve my riding, obviously, but can a lower seat assist me? I don't want to lower the bike in general, because I don't want to reduce ground clearance.

- Are there any aftermarket brake and gear pedals? Or do only the original fit? My pedals are badly worn and not in great shape, so i would like to replace them. Also I would like the tip to be a bit bigger/adjustable even maybe.

- My bike has the Akra exhaust on it as standard, and it is a bit on the loud side. Any way to silence it more? Can it just be repacked with dampening material, or how does it work?

- What are the correct steps to switch the map? Unfortunately the manual does not say anything about it at all. I managed to switch it, but I just don't know what exactly needs to be done. The engine has to be off I think? The master ignition switch off too? Any amount of waiting required?

- on steep climbs I noticed that the front forks topped out occasionally and clearly hitting the end of the stroke hard (opposite of bottom out). Is this a normal behaviour? I know from street bikes that they often have a small top out spring to avoid that hard bang. Do dirt bikes don't have that?

- clutch is very light, but I'm always looking for ways to make it even lighter. I've read a lot of things about removing clutch springs, changing them to softer KTM ones, etc, but I think this all referred to 2 stroke bikes only. Do you guys do anything on the 4 stroke bike?

- I have some chipped away paint on the frame which I would like to cover up, I'm a bit worried about rust. Does the blue of the frame has a known color code, such as RAL or Pantone?

- the throttle tube is worn out, do I need to purchase an original piece, or is this a standard throttle tube replacement part I can buy anywhere?

These are the questions I have for the moment, I would be very grateful if you could answer some of them. Many thanks!

Mischa
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 04:16:07 AM by Mischa »

alang

• Vet
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: adjusting my new Sherco
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 10:23:32 AM »
I would buy ODI grips & throttle tube and get the sherco cam as well.
Maybe reduce pre-load on the forks?
2017 Sherco 300 2T Factory
2016 Aprilia Tuono 1100 Factory
2019 Santa Cruz Tallboy Carbon R
Azle, Texas

clw

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 08:29:17 AM »
http://www.midwestme.com/products.html#Clutch  One of these will make your clutch a lot easier to pull.

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/how-to-cut-down-motorcycle-saddle  This is how we used to lower seat height

2018 300SER-F
2017 ktm 300xc

Nitsuga

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 09:14:08 AM »
Lots of questions for just one post, but a few ideas:

- The factory models usually have a higher seat than the standard model. You might try shaving the foam as getting a complete seat might be expensive.

- AFAIK only Sherco pedals fit.

- Repack that silencer with new wool. Packing should last about 2 years so it's long overdue. And if you need it to be even quieter, put an insert.

- The Throttle command has a switch just above the e-starter. It's not hard to brake it. To use it just flip it when you want, engine running and even when accelerating hard. To the left it's low power good traction. To the right is full power.

- Forks, get the air out every ride. It builds in there and increases the preload. And decrease pre-load.

- Clutch: follow CLWs tip about midwest levers.

Sherco 300 Sef-R 2017
Sherco 300 Sef-R 2015 (going)
Sherco 300 Sef-R 2014 (Gone)
several orange bikes before seeing the light

Temuco, CHILE

VxZeroKnots

• Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 12:05:09 PM »
Pre 2016 OB/WB brake tips are the same as shercos

Mischa

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 05:44:18 AM »
thank you all for your answers, very helpful. Midwest lever is on its way as well as ODI grips. Not sure the original Sherco cam will fit, I haven't been able to install yet.

Since I have a 2014 Factory, I assume I have a factory seat, though I compared it on pictures with the standard racing model, and could not see a difference in height. Maybe I do as suggested and just re-shape that one.

- The Throttle command has a switch just above the e-starter. It's not hard to brake it. To use it just flip it when you want, engine running and even when accelerating hard. To the left it's low power good traction. To the right is full power.

Are you sure about that on a 2014 bike? Or is this for newer bikes? I could've sworn flipping the switch while the engine was running or even when I was riding did nothing. I'll be riding again this weekend and will try again.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 05:46:12 AM by Mischa »