Author Topic: Reliability and Satisfaction Updates for 250/300 2-Strokes?  (Read 39682 times)

Speedblitz

• Novice
  • Calgary, Alberta
    • View Profile
    • Email
How is everyone making out with their 2-strokes?  Any starter or other engine issues?  Leaks?  Do you feel that the engine is reliable?  Any recommended work-arounds/improvements that some of you have done (e.g. did anyone install a more accessible fuel shut-off valve?).  Some of you must be getting up there on hours by now.

I recall kjettro indicating that after 40hrs he had no issues (this was in February).  I recall he indicated that the starter requires a quick push, as opposed to holding the starter button down, otherwise it works well.  I don't recall any other major comments (good or bad) about the starters on the 2-strokes.

I'm starting to look for another bike (currently I have a '14 Beta 300rr).  I'm planning on keeping the Beta and I'm debating if I should get the Sherco or another Beta.  It would make sense to get another Beta from a spare parts perspective, but I'm intrigued by the Sherco, although I'm still hesitant about the lack of a kickstarter for a bush bike.  My local dealer has a 250 demo which I hope to take out for a ride later in July when I have some time and ride it back-to-back with my Beta on trails I'm familiar with.

Any inputs would be appreciated.  Thanks guys.
14 Beta 300rr / 06 YZ250 / 03 WR450F (for sale) / 03 XR250 / 82 PW50 / 91 Enfield Bullet350 (Indian model) / 82 Honda CB200 (Cafe Racer project)

kjettro

• Junior
    • View Profile
Re: Reliability and Satisfaction Updates for 250/300 2-Strokes?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 01:25:56 PM »
Hey ya'll....
75 hours and counting....piston change this week...getting ready for Romaniacs...
Engine seems bulletproof....i was wery skeptical to a two-stroke with no kick....but i never even think aboth it anymore....never re-charged the batteri once either.
Map switch is magical......
Overall build quality is wery good....as good as any other brand.
Wery good suspensjon stock..
Clutch pull is a tad harder than KTM's....
Breakes..it's Brembos.....nuff said.
I have only one issue..some of the bolts on the bike...like the 6mm on the plastic is not up to the quality with the rest of the bike..
All of the washers on the bike is so low quality that they actually breake If you tighting the bolts to given spec...i have changed All bolts and washers from my KTM spare bolt kit...
I changed the front brake rotor today,and had to remove the caliper, and the caliper bolts was also of the same low quality.....this is wery suprising, cause this bike is really great...
Buy a euro bolt kit...and you god the best 2 stroke there is as of today.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 01:27:28 PM by kjettro »
Kongsberg
Norway--- that's in north of Europa...

Speedblitz

• Novice
  • Calgary, Alberta
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 05:50:14 AM »
Thanks kjettro.  That's a pretty glowing review!  I will definitely need to take the demo out for a test ride.  A little concerning about the fasteners, but easy to change.   Let me know if you feel the same about the fasteners on the engine when you do your piston.

Thanks
14 Beta 300rr / 06 YZ250 / 03 WR450F (for sale) / 03 XR250 / 82 PW50 / 91 Enfield Bullet350 (Indian model) / 82 Honda CB200 (Cafe Racer project)

Clay

• Global Moderator
  • Vet
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 06:59:04 AM »
Some of the washers and flanges on the bolts, like the ones on the front fender, seemed to be designed to break away to save the plastic. If you catch the front fender hard enough on a tree, like I did at the national enduro in TN in April, the flanges will break off the bolts and the fender will come off over the bolts and not break the fender. It takes a hard hit to do it but not hard enough to break the plastic. I have noticed that the rear fender parts have the same bolts. I haven't asked the factory if this is intentionally done or if those particular bolts are just low quality.
I don't agree with Kjettro that all of the bolts are low quality. Other than the above mentioned fender bolts I believe all of the other fasteners are the same type/quality as found on the orange brand. They definitely are above the quality of the other brand I sold.
Clay Stuckey
Sherco Offroad  www.shercooffroad.com
email: clay@shercooffroad.com
cell: 615 347 6519
Tennessee, USA

Speedblitz

• Novice
  • Calgary, Alberta
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 11:09:33 AM »
That's interesting if it's by design.  That would sure support the frequent comments I haver read about the attention to detail on the Shercos.

Clay, have you had any failure reports on the 2-strokes you have sold so far?  Also, when are you expecting info on the 2015s?  Are they going EFI on the 2015 2-stroke or will that be later down the road?

DG Harv

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 11:38:21 AM »
On the 2014 "Factory" edition bikes they have used different Bolts on all the Plastics.
These now have the "Washers" built into the Bolts . Much Better  :)
2014 Factory SE300 4St.
East Anglia, ENGLAND.

gasrider17

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
    • Nova Scotia Off Road Riders Association
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 12:51:36 PM »
I have had great luck with mine so far. My only complaints are the fact that they do boil easier  than the gasgas. But I expected that given the lack of weight witch is the big trade off. And the overflow bottle saves the day on that one. The fuel petcock is in a horrible location, but you get used to it after a bit.   On the plus side, the bikes are very easy to work on and the fit and finish is nicer than the Beta in my opinion.
2015 Sherco SER 300 Factory
Nova Scotia, Canada

GlennE

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 05:00:17 PM »
Doesn't boil as easy as a KTM hopefully?

I swear KTMs, 2 and 4 stroke overheat more then any other bike made!

I noticed the Sherco has 1.8 bar cap, like the GasGas.  Could probably run the 2.0 bar CV4 cap. 

Also, they have a ton of stator power so you could easily run a fan.
2018 KTM 250 XC-W
(Sold)2014 Sherco SE-R 300, 12 GG 300, 11 300 XC, 09 CRF450R, 09 450 XCF, 00 RM 250, 95 YZ 250
Bozeman, Montana

tomthumb

• Junior
    • View Profile
    • www.southernwoodsrider.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 07:09:36 PM »
My 300 has never overheated.  My orange 300's all overheated all the time.  No issues with 40 plus hours.  I dropped the needle a notch and it has been a great machine.  The lack of starter is a non issue.  Put a good battery in it and forget about it. My bike starts so easy it amazes my ridding buddies with Austrian two-strokes.

It's a great scooter from top to bottom.
Support Your Local Riding Clubs
Tread Lightly, Quietly, and Legally
USA

Clay

• Global Moderator
  • Vet
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 07:05:51 AM »
That's interesting if it's by design.  That would sure support the frequent comments I haver read about the attention to detail on the Shercos.

Clay, have you had any failure reports on the 2-strokes you have sold so far?  Also, when are you expecting info on the 2015s?  Are they going EFI on the 2015 2-stroke or will that be later down the road?
I have had no failure reports on the production 2T models.  Sherco is doing a press launch next week on the 2015 models and I was told we would get the info on them just after that. There won't be any EFI/DI two strokes this year. Keep in mind, when the Euro factories put EFI or DI on the 2T models it won't be for performance. It will be for emissions and the bike will likely be pretty plugged up. Guys looking forward to EFI/DI will most likely be disappointed, not happy, with the results. I will probably ask Sherco to give me another year of bikes with carbs on them while everyone else sorts out the issues with making those bikes run.
Clay Stuckey
Tennessee, USA

JLow

• Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 02:03:20 PM »
EFI will not make it through emissions. DI can. You have to inject the fuel mix after the piston is above the exhaust port so that none of the mix goes downstream like with a carb or EFI. Evinrude and SkiDoo(both owned by Bombardier) have the DI technology in place on 2t boat engines and snowmobiles. Evinrude won some award from the EPA for their efforts. They inject enough fuel mix down into the crank to lube it, but it is such a small amount that most of it burns off.  You have to use a high quality premix oil with a lower flash point. I would hope that performance would not suffer since others are making it work, although they are doing it on larger CC engines. JMO. Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread. We can start a new one if anyone so desires. JLow.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 02:18:20 PM by JLow »
'19 FSE 300
'14 Sherco 300 SEF-R (Miss Sweets)
'14 Sherco 250 SE-R (Miss Spicy 3Huney)

Nashville, TN USA

Clay

• Global Moderator
  • Vet
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 05:51:19 PM »
Its been explained to me that DI on off road motorcycles is the most difficult application because of the incredibly varied throttle setting, high temperatures and dirty operating environment. Outboards, personal watercraft and snowmobiles are in clean environments with cool water or temperatures and fairly steady throttle settings. The goal for DI on the Euro motorcycles is to meet the new, tough Euro emissions requirements. Those bikes will be like the Yamaha WRs with stopped up pipes, throttle stops and plugged up air boxes. I was told by the other brand that I sold that they expect to have to offer a "race kit" that will cost probably $1000 or more to make the bikes run correctly. American think in terms of major changes like DI being for performance. The Euro companies are making those changes so they can still license a large part of their production for street use. Why do you think all of the brands are putting this off? If any of them were confident that it was ready to go they would already have it on the market. Remember....I sold a brand that screwed up a new airbox design. My faith in that company being able to produce a correctly operating DI bike is pretty low.
The current bikes we have in the US with EFI still do weird things occasionally. The orange brand has had all kinds of EFI issues. Mike Lafferty lost an enduro in TX three years ago on a Husaberg because his bike wouldn't run in the 100 degree temps on that day.
One of the things I learned from the thread I started that asked you guys what you wanted on a dream motorcycle is less complication not more. I did get from it that you want to be able to adjust for altitude easily but to have less electronics that can break, not more. I personally think the Smart Carb approach is the best solution for this here in the US. If a carb works when you leave the parking lot it will continue to work and it can easily be adjusted for altitude without disassembling the carb. I have to tell you that I sometimes get really confused by what you guys really want. I constantly hear you want back up kick start because you don't trust batteries and starters but then there are guys who want more electronics in DI  stuff. Huh?
I may be wrong about the DI bikes. They may rip right out of the gate but I will admit that I don't expect DI off road 2T models to be problem free when they first come out.
Clay Stuckey
Tennessee, USA

Speedblitz

• Novice
  • Calgary, Alberta
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2014, 06:59:18 PM »

I have had no failure reports on the production 2T models.  Sherco is doing a press launch next week on the 2015 models and I was told we would get the info on them just after that. There won't be any EFI/DI two strokes this year. Keep in mind, when the Euro factories put EFI or DI on the 2T models it won't be for performance. It will be for emissions and the bike will likely be pretty plugged up. Guys looking forward to EFI/DI will most likely be disappointed, not happy, with the results. I will probably ask Sherco to give me another year of bikes with carbs on them while everyone else sorts out the issues with making those bikes run.

Thanks for the update on reliability Clay and others.  Also, I'm really glad to hear that EFI/DI IS NOT coming yet.  I wanted to know if I had to make up my mind really quickly and get a 2014 carb model before they run out.

I also believe that the 2-stroke should be kept as simple and light as possible.  I believe a Smart Carb would be perfect for a 2-stroke instead of a complex DI system.  I have one on my YZ, which I love, and I plan to add one to my Beta (although it runs great with the Keihin now).  If I get a Sherco, I also plan to add an SC to it down the road.

GlennE

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2014, 08:04:48 PM »
Any more feedback? 

Only two 2 stroke riders out there?

I can tell you guys that EFI, at least throttle body EFI works great on snowmobiles.

DI, as in the Ski Doo Etec is much more complicated and heavier. The stator is large and heavy to run the injectors. Everything is expensive and complex. It adds quite a bit of weight.

I personally would rather just have tbi instead of di.

If and when injection comes out on 2 strokes, I hope they offer carb and injection on the same engine.

People are always telling me they won't buy a 2 stroke till they have injection. I personally would wait a few years after injection comes out to try it.

I really like the carb for simplicity.
2018 KTM 250 XC-W
(Sold)2014 Sherco SE-R 300, 12 GG 300, 11 300 XC, 09 CRF450R, 09 450 XCF, 00 RM 250, 95 YZ 250
Bozeman, Montana

gasrider17

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
    • Nova Scotia Off Road Riders Association
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2014, 02:33:47 AM »
I can tell you that the Sherco 300 has been a very easy bike to jet. It idles like a dream cold, warm or hot. The carb has a an extra jet and it obviously helps. The dual map works great. When it's really tight or slick, just flick the button and it's like turning the bike into a 200. You can just flog the throttle with out the extra risk of all that power putting you in the trees.
2015 Sherco SER 300 Factory
Nova Scotia, Canada