Author Topic: Sherco 2018 SER 300 - Radiator fan stays on when the bike isn't running.  (Read 778 times)

dario_leonetti

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hey guys!

I've not long picked up my first Sherco... a Factory 2018 300 SER.

I came into the garage the other night to do some standard maintenance and i heard a loud ringing noise that sounded like it was coming from the radiator fan. I disconnected the battery, cleaned up the wiring and connections and re fitted the battery. The ringing has gone away but the fan stays on the whole time.

For now i have taken the fuse out but i would like to know what i could do next to try and fix it? :)

Thank you in advance!

Dario

Strosek

• Novice
    • View Profile
My first guess and that's all it is would be that the relay is bad.

Good luck!

Caffeineo

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
    • Email
Did you find a fix for this? I went to the garage and found the fan running on my 2019 300 SEF. Started it for a minute and shut it off and the fan turned off. Only happened this one time that I know of...
2019 300SEF-R
2014 Husaberg FE501
2013 Beta Evo 300

Trailrider383

• Junior
    • View Profile
Did you find a fix for this? I went to the garage and found the fan running on my 2019 300 SEF. Started it for a minute and shut it off and the fan turned off. Only happened this one time that I know of...

It was trying to tell you that you should have taken it for a ride today with us!  8)

Caffeineo

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
    • Email

It was trying to tell you that you should have taken it for a ride today with us!  8)

I found a new area in the Owyhees to ride and spent Friday finding all the dead ends. Rode the 500 so a bit worn out Sat. I see you had a great ride.

Checked and found out my fan relay is bad = always on. Searching for a new one now. This is why it is good to have 2 dirt bikes. ;)
2019 300SEF-R
2014 Husaberg FE501
2013 Beta Evo 300

Caffeineo

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
    • Email
Found them on Digikey. Panasonic brand relay. Getting a couple to have an extra.
2019 300SEF-R
2014 Husaberg FE501
2013 Beta Evo 300

woodsguy

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
I just bought a new 250 and having this problem. Battery was dead from it. 1 hour on bike.
TORCS #70
2 X over 60 champ
2 X Runner up over 60

woodsguy

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ended up replacing battery, all good now. Got 3 rides in, starting to really bond with it. Happy with my decision. Thanks Ronnie Jones.
TORCS #70
2 X over 60 champ
2 X Runner up over 60

dhally

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
    • Email
My battery turned up dead for unknown reasons, and the fan relay was almost melted. I am sensing a trend... Shorai warranteed the battery (prorated) and got relays from Digikey.
2013 SE-300i-R
Husqvarna 701E

Southeast Washington state

eagle

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Email
When my battery melted, it was the voltage regulator that caused the issue :(
KTM 453
 Sherco 6Day 300i
Old man out there having fun;):)!
Nyora Victoria
Australia

woodsguy

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sherco 2018 SER 300 - Radiator fan stays on when the bike isn't running.
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2020, 02:24:53 AM »
Ended up replacing battery, all good now. Got 3 rides in, starting to really bond with it. Happy with my decision. Thanks Ronnie Jones.

An update, all wasn't good as the new battery ended up cratering too. Took to dealer and they replaced the fan and all hardware. The thinking is the fan had a problem somewhere. Nothing else should be drawing battery down when it sits. So I'll see what happens over the weekend. I've lost 3 weeks riding now because of this, hopefully solved.
TORCS #70
2 X over 60 champ
2 X Runner up over 60

woodsguy

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2020, 10:15:23 AM »
Well this is getting old! Went to ride today, although voltage is up still no go. Sounds like a loose battery cable as there is a static like sound for 5 seconds or so then nothing.
TORCS #70
2 X over 60 champ
2 X Runner up over 60

BryanZg

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2020, 06:43:36 AM »
Something that also happens on these are the 2 relays under the seat and left side number plate get corroded or go bad.  Same relay as the fan.  I was having a battery problem.  Started looking at the engine and I could hear the power valve clicking very softly.  Didn't happen all the time.  So I cleaned, replaced and grease both relays and no more clicking, no more battery problem. 

woodsguy

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2020, 03:09:03 AM »
Well this is getting old! Went to ride today, although voltage is up still no go. Sounds like a loose battery cable as there is a static like sound for 5 seconds or so then nothing.

Update, dealer was out of town so I had a buddy look it over with me, check voltage, couldn't find anything. Came home and next day just doing some searching on KTMTALK, someone mentioned the starter ground on the engine, sure enough it was finger tight only. Tighten it up, bam fired right up. Sometimes it's the simplest things, just finding them is hard, lol.
TORCS #70
2 X over 60 champ
2 X Runner up over 60

burner25!

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2020, 03:57:07 AM »
Well done lad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk