Author Topic: Sherco Ergos and fitting  (Read 672 times)

Sfade

• Junior
    • View Profile
    • Email
Sherco Ergos and fitting
« on: May 20, 2020, 08:24:28 PM »
Just some thoughts and things I've done/doing to customize fit others may find useful.  This is in regards to 2020 300 SEF Factory but probably applies to most of their lineup.  I'm very particular about all my dirt/adv/dualsport/mtbike ergos and can't rest until I get the feel I'm looking for.

Shercos feel compact from the get go and unlike mtbikes its a one size fits all approach.  I am just under 6' but a 35" inseam so all legs with a neutral ape index.  Rake and trail is steep on the head angle and the front also seems low compared to other brands. The bars on the Sherco are also low like a 70ish rise with a 45-47 sweep.  To slow down the fast steering front I tightened my headstock nut a bit and lowered the forks to the very top of tube (I also ride sand so that was another reason--add some rake/trail for stability).  I put on Mako 360 mounts and added 28mm of risers.   This really helped the height but it also pushed the bars back.  I mounted them in the fwd. mount and also in the Mako's offset fwd position to elongate the cockpit.  I ended up buying a used Renthal 821 bend to gain a tad more rise.  So height felt good, but just too far back.  Determined I need to get my height from bend not risers as risers bring the bars back at the angle of the forks to your lap which shrinks the cockpit.  I ordered 5x Pro Taper EVO bends in various rises/bends to mount each in the Mako mounts and see what I like best (returning the others).  I ended up going with the Pro Taper KTM/Suzuki stock bend without any risers for my mounts.  Its got the height I need without the sweep.  I realized I hate a lot of sweep.  Not natural for my wrists and beach cruiser feel especially when standing--awful feeling for me at least. With the new bar I feel neutral, stand/hinge comfortable, and still get forward without overweighting the front.   

Footpegs.  Put Tusk pegs on for better bite to my boot and really like them except peg to top of seat is only 24".  Tried Fastway's in the low position and my old boots were getting hung up in the kickstand.  Really want to get my legs further down.  Saw Cody Webb put some Flo pegs on his bike to get his feet down an extra 12mm.  I may order a pair.  If my newer boots get hung up in the kickstand I'm just going to take it off as its too short anyway.  I've spent a lot of time, energy, and money getting the ergos dialed.  The bike is worthy of it so that's why I don't mind.
2020 Sherco 300 SEF Factory
2019 KTM 250XC
2019 KTM 690 Enduro

alang

• Vet
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sherco Ergos and fitting
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 04:18:02 AM »
Nice write up.  I like Renthal 997 bend, and also like
The ktm suzuki (Windham) bend. I run phds
Mounts which add a teeny more height.
I have 34" inseam and also dont like too much
Sweep. Running stock pegs.  Mario says S3
Pegs are 5mm down and 5mm back; that
Sounds like a nice change.
2017 Sherco 300 2T Factory
2016 Aprilia Tuono 1100 Factory
2019 Santa Cruz Tallboy Carbon R
Azle, Texas

burner25!

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 05:24:01 AM »
Iím in the middle of the same problem, the bike will be great when I get the bar height right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sfade

• Junior
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 02:18:33 PM »
If it doesn't fit then the best motor and suspension can't make up for it.  To experiment, I did a 3hr ride the other day back with the stock setup.  Man, I had to really be conscious of not over-weighting the front, especially in the sand, as I was so far over the front.  My hands were so sore afterward from hinging so far over.  There's the fine balance of too low bars and too high where you lose the ability to man-handle the bike.  I found, for my ergos, that my 19' KTM 250 2T fit like a glove.  I used that as my baseline to try and get my Sherco there--which I'm there now minus the footpegs.  I hit up Cody Webb about the Flo footpegs on a comment in his YouTube about lower pegs getting his feet tangled in the kickstand.  Like I thought, he said he took his kickstand off--which I will most likely have to do.  12mm drop would be perfect.  Flo lower pegs for Sherco are out of stock for another 3/4 weeks I was told today.
2019 KTM 250XC
2019 KTM 690 Enduro

Jjamb

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 01:04:55 PM »
Flo offset footpegs are great!  Made a big difference for me.  I'm 6'4" with a 37" inseam and a size 13 boot.  Right now I have Enduro Engineering risers and a Mako 360 with stock bars on a 2020 SE300 Factory.  Also have a Seat Concepts Tall Foam kit.  Feel like I fit reasonably well now for a tall skinny guy.  I run the bars in the far forward position and then rotate them quite a ways forward.  I might try a higher bend on the bar.  What all EVO bends did you try? 

Jjamb

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2020, 09:00:31 AM »
Does anyone know what the stock bend on the handlebars on the 2020 300 Factory bikes is?

paxelive

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2020, 09:16:17 AM »
Does anyone know what the stock bend on the handlebars on the 2020 300 Factory bikes is?
Looks like MTB handlebar, put a Renthal Twinwall 996 and become perfect.

burner25!

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2020, 07:25:47 AM »
So Iíve taken off the Roxí, and fitted these scar risers. Iíve  also connected to the front holes !
They feel ok, but Iíll not tell till I ride out and test them!

Sfade

• Junior
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2020, 01:24:35 PM »
Flo offset footpegs are great!  Made a big difference for me.  I'm 6'4" with a 37" inseam and a size 13 boot.  Right now I have Enduro Engineering risers and a Mako 360 with stock bars on a 2020 SE300 Factory.  Also have a Seat Concepts Tall Foam kit.  Feel like I fit reasonably well now for a tall skinny guy.  I run the bars in the far forward position and then rotate them quite a ways forward.  I might try a higher bend on the bar.  What all EVO bends did you try?

I tried the EVOs in: SX Race, CR High, Carmichael, Woods High, and KTM/Suz stock (kept those).  I seem to like a sweep sub 50mm.  Maybe it's that I'm used to 8/9 degree mtbike bars for 23yrs or my wrist ergos in particular fit that profile, but I feel like I'm steering a beach cruiser with anything more than 50mm backsweep--don't feel in command of the front sorta feeling.  Looking fwd to getting those Flo pegs.  I can't imagine how jammed up taller guys must feel when dirtbikes are probably made for 5.7-5.10" market.  Glad you were able to sort out the fitment. 
2019 KTM 250XC
2019 KTM 690 Enduro

burner25!

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2020, 10:57:33 AM »
Was out for a ride today , the bike was much better with the 50mm rise in the front holes. Iím 5í10Ē, and it now fits fine!