Author Topic: 2020 sef 300 factory suspension  (Read 577 times)

Ridgepounder6

• Novice
    • View Profile
2020 sef 300 factory suspension
« on: June 08, 2020, 07:52:28 AM »
First time owning one of these bad boys and was wondering if any of you had recommended clicker settings for forks and rear shock, I set my sag to 104mm and the rear seems to kick sideways a little and the front feels a tad harsh. Iím 190lb in street clothes and a c class weekend warrior rider, nothing terribly fast yet. Any suggestions appreciated

Ridgepounder6

• Novice
    • View Profile
Re: 2020 sef 300 factory suspension
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2020, 07:52:52 AM »
Majority of riding done on Idaho single track

alang

• Vet
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2020, 08:10:32 AM »
I've heard draining 20cc from each fork leg
Softens them a bit.
2017 Sherco 300 2T Factory
2016 Aprilia Tuono 1100 Factory
2019 Santa Cruz Tallboy Carbon R
Azle, Texas

Ridgepounder6

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2020, 10:09:51 AM »
Ill check it out

Sfade

• Junior
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2020, 06:01:57 PM »
My clickers are close to the standard setting plus/minus a few each way.  Set sag obviously 100-107mm-ish.  I drained 10cc then went to 20cc out of each leg and it softened it up a lot.  I'm 175lb in gear.  Also, adjust to speeds and terrain your riding.  Fast=stiffer, slower=softer.  If you haven't put a zip tie on one of your fork legs to see how much travel you're using do so.  You don't want to leave much on the table or be bottoming out.  I also took a black sharpie and colored the Rr. shock shaft to see how much I was using, left over ink showed me.  If you're riding softer/sandier terrain I highly recommend you lower the forks a line or two.  I have mine lowered to the cap.  Rake and trail is steep and it was good on normal surfaces but would push/knife into the sand.  I raise to second line when on normal dirt. Hope this helps. 

Also, I have a 2020 300 sef fac as well and the bike kicks ass.  Very planted and is awesome in the tight stuff and pretty good at speed.  She's a little heavy but I think it does really well in all but hard enduro--will do it but you will feel that heft.
2020 Sherco 300 SEF Factory
2019 KTM 250XC
2019 KTM 690 Enduro

Trailrider383

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2020, 07:13:04 PM »
The suspension on my 2020 300 SEF Factory didn't break in until 20 plus hours.  It is a lot plusher now. Idaho rider also.

Sfade

• Junior
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2020, 07:54:11 PM »
Suspension break-in...not saying you didn't notice a difference but have heard that this is older thinking for suspension systems of yesteryear.  The guy on dirtbikechannel actually did a segment on this and he spoke with many in the suspension and suspension service industry and they said within (I believe first 20min-1hr) your suspension is broken in.  I know I didn't notice an actual real difference in both of my new bikes I bought this year from first ride to 20hrs.  I did notice that I got used to the feeling of each and maybe that's what one may mistake for breaking in??  Taking 20cc of oil out of my KYB was the real game changer for my weight.
2019 KTM 250XC
2019 KTM 690 Enduro

Ridgepounder6

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2020, 07:07:07 AM »
Suspension break-in...not saying you didn't notice a difference but have heard that this is older thinking for suspension systems of yesteryear.  The guy on dirtbikechannel actually did a segment on this and he spoke with many in the suspension and suspension service industry and they said within (I believe first 20min-1hr) your suspension is broken in.  I know I didn't notice an actual real difference in both of my new bikes I bought this year from first ride to 20hrs.  I did notice that I got used to the feeling of each and maybe that's what one may mistake for breaking in??  Taking 20cc of oil out of my KYB was the real game changer for my weight.

Iím a little heavier than you though so Iíd need to not remove any oil correct?

Ridgepounder6

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2020, 07:10:00 AM »
My clickers are close to the standard setting plus/minus a few each way.  Set sag obviously 100-107mm-ish.  I drained 10cc then went to 20cc out of each leg and it softened it up a lot.  I'm 175lb in gear.  Also, adjust to speeds and terrain your riding.  Fast=stiffer, slower=softer.  If you haven't put a zip tie on one of your fork legs to see how much travel you're using do so.  You don't want to leave much on the table or be bottoming out.  I also took a black sharpie and colored the Rr. shock shaft to see how much I was using, left over ink showed me.  If you're riding softer/sandier terrain I highly recommend you lower the forks a line or two.  I have mine lowered to the cap.  Rake and trail is steep and it was good on normal surfaces but would push/knife into the sand.  I raise to second line when on normal dirt. Hope this helps. 

Also, I have a 2020 300 sef fac as well and the bike kicks ass.  Very planted and is awesome in the tight stuff and pretty good at speed.  She's a little heavy but I think it does really well in all but hard enduro--will do it but you will feel that heft.
Iím coming from a Honda 250rx and this bike handles and feels so much lighter and more nimble itís insane, love this bike up in the mountains, the gearing is so much better than the Rx for mountain riding and having just the little bit more bottom end and torque with the bigger bore is nice too.

Sfade

• Junior
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2020, 02:23:09 PM »
Removing oil based on weight?  Maybe.  I would ride a bit and once you get comfortable and up to your typical pace and it's still stiff even with compression backed out pretty far, you may think about taking oil out.  Maybe start 5cc if it's close then 10cc etc.  Your pace and how you ride will have something to do with it just as much as your weight ie. if you never leave 2nd gear type of riding.  For me there just seemed to be a lot of oil to push through the shim stack.  You can always add oil back in if you go to far.  The Factory model, to me, was set up for offroad racing/GNCC type so those high speeds will require a lot of oil for damping and compensating for high temps and the oil thinning becoming more viscous.  Slow/techy riding just won't effect to that extent.
2019 KTM 250XC
2019 KTM 690 Enduro

ditezz

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2020, 07:29:10 PM »
The obvious question is ,Have you fitted the correct size springs for your weight??Makes a big difference

ditezz

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2020, 07:35:24 PM »
Don't take the lines at the top of the fork to be accurate .Remove wheel and slide axle into forks to adjust fork height.When least resistance is felt when rotating axle equals aligned forks

Trailrider383

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2020, 06:38:37 AM »
Also if you can't find the suspension info in the manual for the KYB suspension, you will find it in the French section. Clicker settings for comfort, standard and sport. The spring rate for your weight info is in there also.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 09:31:46 AM by Trailrider383 »

Sfade

• Junior
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2020, 03:39:57 PM »
Don't take the lines at the top of the fork to be accurate .Remove wheel and slide axle into forks to adjust fork height.When least resistance is felt when rotating axle equals aligned forks
The obvious question is ,Have you fitted the correct size springs for your weight??Makes a big difference

True True.  If youre outside the stock spring range that's a no brainer.  I did the axle-in-fork method to ensure legs were equal in clamps.  I can't say yours will be but the lines on the forks were dead on accurate with each other.  Now that I know that its an easy adjustment when I travel and get on less sandy terrain. 
2019 KTM 250XC
2019 KTM 690 Enduro

Ridgepounder6

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2020, 02:26:45 PM »
I was able to achieve the 30mm static sag and 100mm rider sag so Iím in the middle of the sag range so I donít feel that I need a stiffer spring. Took the front wheel off and made sure the forks were lined up properly.