Author Topic: STIC metering block for Keihin Carbs...my personal experience  (Read 299 times)

Sfade

• Junior
    • View Profile
    • Email
It's not on my 4t Sherco obviously, but is on my 19' KTM 250XC with Keihin and will apply to anyone with 38 or 36mm Keihin carb...ie Sherco 2ts.  1st and foremost I am doing this on my own accord and have no ties to the company or inventor George Boswell.  He's a good guy and responds quickly to questions and great customer service/support.  He does however self promote a bit too much on ktmtalk. 

If you don't know what STIC is, its a metering block to replace your Keihin one--a very nicely machined CNC one at that.  You can search online and learn all about the dynamics if you want, but basically it claims to provide a lot of torque and power.  After you buy the STIC and JD jet kit for it you're looking at ~$450ish I think. 

Your ideas of how jetting works will need to change.  My current setup is 195 Main, 50 pilot, and JD red clip 4, Airscrew 3.5-4 turns out.  Very different and even sounds and feels different.  It's a set and forget jetting that supposedly self adjusts for altitude and temp for the most part which is nice. 

I was against it at first and thought the gains couldn't be worth the money especially after buying and RK Tek head and Keihin for my KTM.  I stripped my pilot jet like and idiot so instead of buying a stock metering block I'd just go for it and try the STIC out hearing some swear by it....curiosity got me.   

Does it work and is it worth the money is what you want to know?  Hell yes it is!  Its good, I mean really good.  For example a rocky loose very steep hill usually required 2nd gear and feather the clutch to keep from spinning/stalling with stock Keihin/RK.  With the STIC I don't even really touch the clutch.  I can let the RPM drop almost to nill and it keeps tractoring.  I can run a gear higher and still loft front with a snap.  The pull is very impressive.  The transition is a tad more linear into the mid/powerband and its a rocket and pulls really hard.  The overrev is insane--it just keeps going and going.  Gas mileage is about the same.  I let a friend ride it and he wants to sell his TPI and get a carbed bike just to put a STIC on it.  I said get a 2021 Sherco and slap it on. 

Along with the RK and Keihin, best mod I've done.  Tokyoffroad on youtube is a smart engineer type that has reviewed the STIC in depth.  Not an expert on it, but happy to answer any questions I can about it. 
2020 Sherco 300 SEF Factory
2019 KTM 250XC
2019 KTM 690 Enduro

erdat

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
Re: STIC metering block for Keihin Carbs...my personal experience
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 10:31:51 AM »
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am sure that many of us have read about it, but to here it from an actual user is always good.
'15 SE-R 250
Ankara, Turkey

EnduroMD

• Junior
    • View Profile
    • Goshen Medical Practice
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 04:56:58 AM »
Thanks for the detailed report! I have a Lectron on my KTM 200 but was curious about the STIC performance. I am tempted!  ;D
2019 Sherco SE Factory
2013/2015 KTM 200 (linkage)
2012 KTM 150 Son's bike
Goshen, Indiana, USA

Sfade

• Junior
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2020, 06:34:55 AM »
If I had to buy another 2T, it would be a Sherco 250 with a STIC.  Now that KTM is TPI just not a fan.  Rode one and no comparison to a keihin/stic combo.  That and I had to spend some coin to my suspension the way I wanted on my KTM.  Sherco KYB stock is prefect for me once I took 20cc oil out. 
2020 Sherco 300 SEF Factory
2019 KTM 250XC
2019 KTM 690 Enduro