Author Topic: SHERCO 500 FACTORY  (Read 864 times)

gassa

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
SHERCO 500 FACTORY
« on: July 06, 2020, 11:11:11 AM »
Hi. I am new to this forum and recently bought 500 SEF 2020

Has anyone had problems with frequently stalling the motor. Would heavier flywheel fix that or Recluse. Canīt somehow not run the bike in low rpm like I use to with my KTM 525

Also the bike is incredible low geared, I put 48 instead of 50 ( 14 in front ) and still not happy and I am afraid if i go lower it will stall all the time.

Another problem is finding Handlebar risers for the bike but I hear Renthal 993 or 997 will fix that for taller drivers. Can someone confirm that or put link of 20-30mm risers.

Then it is the clutch, I am not happy how heavy it is, Clarke seems to be the thing but I was hoping for cheaper option which works...anyone!

Otherwise very happy with the bike, engine is sooo powerful and bike seems good built.

All best

Gisli

alang

• Vet
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: SHERCO 500 FACTORY
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2020, 11:36:50 AM »
997 bars give nice ht addition.
2017 Sherco 300 2T Factory
2016 Aprilia Tuono 1100 Factory
2019 Santa Cruz Tallboy Carbon R
Azle, Texas

Jjamb

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 12:42:49 PM »
I'm 6'4" and put on Renthal Fatwall RC High Bend bars, which I like so far (5 hrs in).  Enduro Engineering makes a bar riser if you want to go that route or try Rox pivot risers at www.roxspeedfx.com

burner25!

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 03:45:18 AM »
I used Rox risers but they were to high, so I got some from  scar racing.com, they work well. i to find the clutch heavy but the bike had never stalled in slow stuff. i do find neutral hard to find!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

burner25!

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 10:40:18 PM »
Was out for a few hours yesterday, on single track, woods and hills. The bike was great! The bike handles everything very well, loads of torque so you donít need to keep gearing up and down.

I balanced the wheels with a set of weights and it makes a huge difference while on the road between trails! Well worth it!

A few things still need a bit of adjustment!

The clutch leaver is a little short as the end curves away from the bars, so itís a stretch when using two fingers, which gets tiring after a while. Iíve adjusted to the end if travel on the leaver, so that may need changing!
I have the bars in the forward holes with 30mm risers, but this may need pulling back a bit or the bars rolling back! But only a bit off right!!

All personal adjustments then to bike should be right.
Only had one off, when a ditch was over grown with fern and I couldnít see it!!

woodsguy

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2020, 02:57:23 AM »
" I put 48 instead of 50" Seems this would increase the stalling issue. Auto-clutch should help if you want to spend the $$'s.

For risers, I bought the Tusk from Rocky Mountain, comes in 2 heights. Just put on, haven't rode it yet. I went with the shortest one.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 04:22:37 AM by woodsguy »
TORCS #70
2 X over 60 champ
2 X Runner up over 60

Dangermouse

• Intermediate
  • Everything looks better when you're on a dirtbike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2020, 01:02:24 AM »
For the stalling, inspect the idle stepper motor for possible contamination build-up. Give it and the port a good clean.
Idle is auto controlled.
It is also worth calling into your dealer and getting them to upload the latest ecu mapping to the bike.
There are improvements to the maps from time to time.
Recently rode a 500 demo most of the day in single track and stalled it once for the day, it's not a common thing.
2019 300 SEF Factory
2011 TE449
Admin - Sherco Riders & Owners FB group
Just an old quick trail rider having a go.
From Qld Australia 🌏

burner25!

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2020, 05:52:13 AM »
For the stalling, inspect the idle stepper motor for possible contamination build-up. Give it and the port a good clean.
Idle is auto controlled.
It is also worth calling into your dealer and getting them to upload the latest ecu mapping to the bike.
Recently rode a 500 demo most of the day in single track and stalled it once for the day, it's not a common thing.
Hi
Do you mean by cleaning the stepper, just unplug and give it a blast with wd40 or contact cleaner under the fuel tank.
Thanks

gassa

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2020, 08:31:26 AM »
Update:

With now almost 30 hours on the bike I have done few modifications.

I bought higher handlebar from dealer, same brand as OEM, I still want to go 1-2 cm higher.

It seems ( if I compare my gearing to my KTM friends ) this bike has motocross gearing. It comes with 14/50 but now I have 15/48
The bike was too fast finishing the gears and wasted a lot of fuel, Sherco is about using 20% more gas than my driving buddies ( other brands than Sherco ) but I manage to reduce that a lot by changing sprockets.

I find it hard to understand why they didnīt have 6th gear much higher than rest, like overdrive,  just so the bike can be driven in comfortable gear on highway. The KTMīs are going a lot faster.

I removed two springs from clutch ( I intend to replace them with lighter KTMīs springs ) and it certainly does slip little bit on asphalt when full throttle but in hard enduro never.

Then the KYBīs, i went from comfort to everything opened. Now I am 5 clickīs back, both C and R and the bike is a beast!

Stalling is still a issue but I am more aware now. Somebody said to change the spark plug for another brand....have to look into that. And I want look into weights for fly wheel.

Few things I have to mention, there are three bolts to loose when changing oil, and none of them has same size ( and one is allen ), and when changing front sprocket, I have to use 28mm....does anyone have 28mm key  ;D ( SHERCO please in future, use ... 27 - or 30  ;)

Stickers are very loose on the bike but I donīt mind, I was going to replace them anyway.

Wonderful bike which I intent to keep long

« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 08:50:55 AM by gassa »

burner25!

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2020, 10:39:58 AM »
I have had no problem with the bike stalling and I can do low speeds in the tight turns( woods etc..,) . I borrowed it to a mate on Wednesday and he stalled it all the time, so thanks odd.
Neutral is still a twat to find unless moving!
The bike does everything well, canít  complain! It is also good on the road at 50-70mph for a enduro.

Dangermouse

• Intermediate
  • Everything looks better when you're on a dirtbike
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2020, 11:34:03 PM »
Idle is auto controlled.
Hi
Do you mean by cleaning the stepper, just unplug and give it a blast with wd40 or contact cleaner under the fuel tank.
Thanks

No, physically remove the stepper motor from the throttle body and clean the pintle and the port that it sits in.
They can get a gum formation on them that prevents the stepper from catching the idle after releasing the throttle.
(a combination of fuel mist vapours and very fine dust)
2019 300 SEF Factory
2011 TE449
Admin - Sherco Riders & Owners FB group
Just an old quick trail rider having a go.
From Qld Australia 🌏

burner25!

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2020, 10:48:39 AM »
Idle is auto controlled.
Hi
Thanks

No, physically remove the stepper motor from the throttle body and clean the pintle and the port that it sits in.
They can get a gum formation on them that prevents the stepper from catching the idle after releasing the throttle.
(a combination of fuel mist vapours and very fine dust)
With just a contact cleaner?
Thanks

burner25!

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2020, 11:13:32 AM »
Five hours on the bike today, Iíve found that the bike doesnít lend inself to standing, Iíve found myself sitting when I should be standing. Maybe the footpegs need lowering a bit? The bike feel good when sitting but when you stand itís to cramped  Iím finding.
Just done my first oil change on the bike since Iíve had it. Iíve used motul7100, Iíve done about 18-20 hours just plodding and the oil was dirty, no bits in old oil  but Iím glad I changed it!

The clutch is to heavy, I will remove two springs.
I need more time on the bike to get the ergos right. Still had i great day!