Author Topic: what long lasting mousses can you recommend?  (Read 527 times)

motif

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
what long lasting mousses can you recommend?
« on: July 08, 2020, 01:34:46 PM »
especially for my sherco 300 se?
I'm riding slow technical stuff.
Never used mouses so maybe it's time to try
unless they're still crazy expensive.

Altered8

• Novice
    • View Profile
Re: what long lasting mousses can you recommend?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 04:44:20 AM »
Nitro mousse seems to be the highest recommended mousse nowadays but out of stock everywhere . Iíve just bought golden tyre mousses for a try

rkm

• Junior
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2020, 07:11:33 AM »
The Michelin blue box ones are much better than the original Michelins. I get about three tires out of them before theyre shot.

cheeseberger

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2020, 07:04:44 AM »
I have used Michelin's and Nitro's and in my experience I prefer the Michelin's.  The Nitro's shrank and the tires wanted to come off the bead.  This was on 3 bikes with Nitro's.  The Michelin's didn't shrink.  In fact I recently installed a year old Michelin that I ran in Baja (a loaded bike mind you) with over 3,000 miles on it that has sat uninstalled for over 6 months in my 300 SE-r.  The Nitro's didn't break down or get soft but shrank a fair bit and I will not be using them again.

cheeseberger

Nitsuga

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2020, 03:36:45 PM »
15 years with mousses and cannot beat Michelins. Metzeler and Mitas last a bit less, and Arter Mousse is crap.
Sherco 300 Sef-R 2017
Sherco 300 Sef-R 2015 (going)
Sherco 300 Sef-R 2014 (Gone)
several orange bikes before seeing the light

Temuco, CHILE

motif

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2020, 11:34:58 AM »
The Michelin blue box ones are much better than the original Michelins. I get about three tires out of them before theyre shot.

ok, but how long your tire last then :)

rkm

• Junior
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2020, 07:30:06 AM »
I change fronts around 30-40 hours of hard enduro.
I just changed out a mousse and it looks like I had about 1300 miles on it.

motif

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2020, 05:03:21 AM »
so in my case it would be around 1 year new mousse, pretty expensive for a piece of freaking foam, pathetic.

rkm

• Junior
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2020, 08:13:57 AM »
Five times the cost of a good tube that I would replace with tire changes. Plus I dont carry tire tools anymore and the piece of mind is valuable.
Thats not even figuring in how much better they work on rocks and roots. Ill never go back.

Nitsuga

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2020, 12:43:36 PM »
so in my case it would be around 1 year new mousse, pretty expensive for a piece of freaking foam, pathetic.

Peace of mind is priceless. Having a puncture mid race or 100km from anywhere is much more expensive. Tried Tubliss for a while and works fine (specially being able to adjust pressure). But it's not bullet proof; mousses are.
Sherco 300 Sef-R 2017
Sherco 300 Sef-R 2015 (going)
Sherco 300 Sef-R 2014 (Gone)
several orange bikes before seeing the light

Temuco, CHILE

Rick

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2020, 06:30:34 AM »
Tireballs, last forever. I'm still using some from a set I bought in 2005! Tried to cut one with a file one time and couldn't...
Not cheap initially, but they are over the long haul.

tireballs.com

"TireBalls are the next level of flat prevention. Lighter, tune-able and longer lasting than the alternative. Gotta have em!"
Paul Whibley
2012 OMA and GNCC Champion.
Virginia, USA

Sfade

• Junior
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2020, 10:42:56 AM »
I used Tubliss for a while and had issues with the front.  I got tired of messing with it, especially when changing to a new tire you can easily damage the system.  Fed up I went back to HD tubes like my other bikes had and I still run 8-9psi and bash into rocks and roots and never a flat.  Easy as hell to change tires and don't have to worry about a getting a perfect seal.  I just can't find fault with HD tubes.  I run tube less tires in my mtb and love it, but its opposite--easier than tubes.  I run ultra low pressures and a 3month CO mtb trip not a single flat.  I'm just not prone to flatting on two wheels I guess.  Maybe its b/c I only weigh 155lbs or maybe after 25yrs of riding singletrack I just know what not to hit or how to hit at what speed/angle???  I'm sticking with tried and true HD tubes in my dirt bikes until I start getting flats...then maybe I will revisit.
2020 Sherco 300 SEF Factory
2019 KTM 250XC
2019 KTM 690 Enduro

rkm

• Junior
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2020, 11:33:21 AM »
If you ride rocks and roots fast, the mousse is an incredible performance advantage. I dont run one cause im scared of flats, I run one cause it flat works better.
If you like rocks, you owe it to yourself to try one.

Sfade

• Junior
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2020, 02:15:43 PM »
What are the performance adv. of a mousse?  All I can think of is no flats and maybe some rim protection?  Also, if you were to try one which I'm not opposed to, front or rear the better bang for buck?
2020 Sherco 300 SEF Factory
2019 KTM 250XC
2019 KTM 690 Enduro

rkm

• Junior
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2020, 03:55:38 PM »
Totally different feel hitting square rocks and roots. Doesnt bounce the same, kinda thuds into them and keeps going.
Its hard to describe now that Im trying to type it. Instead of a harsh hit and then a rebound, it just thuds and rolls.
My last mousse started to fall apart in the middle of a ride. It wasnt until then did I realize how hard I was hitting rocks and not even thinking about it.