Author Topic: Lengthening wheelbase for stability  (Read 167 times)

Sfade

• Junior
    • View Profile
    • Email
Lengthening wheelbase for stability
« on: September 09, 2020, 12:00:24 PM »
One thing I love about my 2020 300 SEF-F  is that its tight, compact, quick handling does great in the turns and fits in the pocket of rutted tracks/berms really well.  HOWEVER, I ride in Florida sugar sanded tight wooded single track and I always feel I'm seconds from going down where on my KTM smoker I am stable as can be. 

The geometry that makes it such a quick turner, makes it a handful in the sand with that steep head angle and maybe shorter wheelbase.  I have dropped my forks all the way down but its still unstable--it loves to push/knife that front end.  Another option would be to bring the rear axle further back to lengthen wheelbase. That would require adding two links basically and not even sure there's enough room to maintain proper chain slack.  Anyone try this?  On terra firma I don't have any issues, but my local trails have me riding my KTM a lot more due to this instability.  I also have to work the bars more as the front is twitching all over causing a lot more fatigue.  If I can create stability by wheelbase lengthening then I can forget about the idea of a damper.  I said it a while a go in a post.  If you ride sand, Sherco's geometry isn't the preferred.
2020 Sherco 300 SEF Factory
2019 KTM 250XC
2019 KTM 690 Enduro

motif

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
Re: Lengthening wheelbase for stability
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2020, 04:14:58 AM »
just drop the forks in triple clamps.

O2B

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2020, 02:02:23 PM »
What's your static and rider sag? If you started at 30mm static, try maybe 33 to 35mm static if rear spring is compatible with your weight.
Adding the Xtrig to your shock it makes sag adjusts much easier with the quick turn of a socket. Add the Xtrig when it comes time to service the shock.

I'm 195 to 200lbs with gear, during first ride on new 250 Factory, suspension was set at "Standard", I had the 30mm static set, my ride sag was high 90's....bike forks were at 2nd line, didn't like it. Again, this was first ride ever, so was just getting initial ride thoughts. Bike and Rear felt TALL, like a stinkbug feeling ride and bike was knifing in corners at times...

2nd time around, adjusted everything to "Comfort" settings with 35mm Static and forks at 1.5 line from top....it rode better.
Ride sag is now in the low 100's (103ish)
Will keep static sag at 35mm and probably try forks again at 2nd line and soften suspension only another click or 2 and go from there.

With my KTMs (pds), once I find an ideal fork spot after ideal base sag, I leave forks there (adjusting forks is a pain) and have the Xtrig with proper weight/sag ranges (spring)....then I adjust the rear a few millimeters up or down with a quick zip of the Xtrig, depending on riding terrain, desired stability and weight changes (gas mainly).
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 02:32:54 PM by O2B »

Sfade

• Junior
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2020, 07:18:21 PM »

Thanks. I wrote above I have dropped all the way flush.
2019 KTM 250XC
2019 KTM 690 Enduro

Sfade

• Junior
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2020, 07:27:14 PM »

Thanks. I wrote above I have dropped all the way flush.

Race sag Rr. I bumped to 107mm due to sand conditions--Xtrig not necessary but nice.  Spring rates are perfect for my geared up 183lb rider weight.  Just curious if anyone has stretched out the rear looking for more stable feel.  Not many have Shercos and even less that ride in my conditions so probably very few if any who may have experimented, but thought I'd see.
2019 KTM 250XC
2019 KTM 690 Enduro