Author Topic: Sherco SER 250 2017 starter issue - Not bendix?  (Read 62 times)

burnleyian

• Novice
    • View Profile
Sherco SER 250 2017 starter issue - Not bendix?
« on: September 16, 2020, 10:54:25 AM »
Hi,

New to Shercoís and new to the forum. Having an issue starting my Sherco on the electric start. Iíve researched on here and seems to suggest bendix but I think the issue is something else.

When I switch the red button on I can hear it engaging, but then when I press the electric start nothing happens at all, not even a sound. If I keep it held down after 30 seconds it sometimes fires. If not, I bump start it when itís warm it will start off the electric start no problem after that

Iíve tried replacing the starter switch but nothing. Also the battery connectors are clean and plenty of charge on battery.

Any ideas much appreciated

:-[ :-[

jamracing

• Vet
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sherco SER 250 2017 starter issue - Not bendix?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 11:26:52 AM »
Hi,

New to Shercoís and new to the forum. Having an issue starting my Sherco on the electric start. Iíve researched on here and seems to suggest bendix but I think the issue is something else.

When I switch the red button on I can hear it engaging, but then when I press the electric start nothing happens at all, not even a sound. If I keep it held down after 30 seconds it sometimes fires. If not, I bump start it when itís warm it will start off the electric start no problem after that

Iíve tried replacing the starter switch but nothing. Also the battery connectors are clean and plenty of charge on battery.

Any ideas much appreciated

:-[ :-[

When you turn the master switch on, the only thing you should hear is the power valve cycle. Sounds like there is an electrical issue somewhere in the starter loop. Disconnect and clean every connector, apply some dielectric grease and assemble. a multi-meter/volt-meter is a great tool to diagnose as well.
New to the blue
2017 300 SE-R

burnleyian

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 11:31:52 AM »
Yes I can hear the power valve cycle. But then nothing with the push start button, itís not even turning over.

Ok thanks I will go through all the connectors and clean thanks, just find it strange how it starts when warm as if it was a loose connection then wouldnít expect it to start at all.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

eagle

• Expert
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 02:38:04 PM »
I only have experience with the 4 strokes, but what has happened sounds abit like an issue i had with my KTM ? I could hear the relay click but that was it, the power was getting to the starter, so it was off with the starter. Ends up 1 of the brushes wasn't making contact, once this was fixed all was good.
KTM 453
 Sherco 6Day 300i
Old man out there having fun;):)!
Nyora Victoria
Australia