Author Topic: 2021 300ser first impression  (Read 1155 times)

Sfade

• Junior
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 2021 300ser first impression
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2020, 10:34:12 AM »
Lower weighted center of gravity makes side to side transitions very easy with lower pegs.  For me though it was the stock peg to seat height and my legs all jammed in there.  I have 35" inseam and that little bit made my knees feel a lot better and I found the sit to stand and reverse transition much easier and less fatiguing over a day of riding.  It's also a shorter dab distance to the ground, but doubt that I actually notice.  Lastly, the pegs I bought (Flo) grip so much better than stock. 
2020 Sherco 300 SEF Factory
2019 KTM 250XC
2019 KTM 690 Enduro

burner25!

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2020, 10:57:26 AM »
Lower weighted center of gravity makes side to side transitions very easy with lower pegs.  For me though it was the stock peg to seat height and my legs all jammed in there.  I have 35" inseam and that little bit made my knees feel a lot better and I found the sit to stand and reverse transition much easier and less fatiguing over a day of riding.  It's also a shorter dab distance to the ground, but doubt that I actually notice.  Lastly, the pegs I bought (Flo) grip so much better than stock.
Iíve just ordered the flo pegs and a set of protaper bars, for the bike, (500),to get a better position . Iíve been on some longer rides  recently and the bars are still a bit low with some risers on . The  stock pegs do feel high, so I canít wait to try the flo pegs! Hope they are worth the money ££££££!
Thanks for the link sfade!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

motif

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2020, 12:24:54 PM »
but they didn't improve starter and battery...

hesutton

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2020, 09:26:05 AM »

[/quote]
Well for me , Iím finding the ride position a little cramped, so I thought the pegs a little lower would be better than putting more bar risers on as they are already 35mm higher. I ride green lanes and trails so Iím standing a lot.
[/quote]

Peg position seems fine on my '21 300SE, but the dang bar has almost no rise at all.  Never ridden a bike with a bar that was almost flat like that.  Ditched them immediately for a set of ProTaper CR high bend bars.  Much better rider compartment.

Heath
2002 Honda CRF450R
2014 Husqvarna WR300 (Sold)
2021 Sherco 300SE Factory

burner25!

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2020, 11:10:20 AM »

Well for me , Iím finding the ride position a little cramped, so I thought the pegs a little lower would be better than putting more bar risers on as they are already 35mm higher. I ride green lanes and trails so Iím standing a lot.
[/quote]

Peg position seems fine on my '21 300SE, but the dang bar has almost no rise at all.  Never ridden a bike with a bar that was almost flat like that.  Ditched them immediately for a set of ProTaper CR high bend bars.  Much better rider compartment.

Heath
[/quote]
Iíve bought a cheap set of protaper off a Suzuki, itís a first ride out tomorrow. The flo pegs are only here on Tuesday, so it will be interesting how the bike feels stage by stage!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dangermouse

• Expert
  • Everything looks better when you're on a dirtbike
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2020, 12:30:16 AM »
Sfade thanks for the info on the forks, definitely will remove oil. Iíve also read good comments on installing 1.0 ICS springs.

As for the footpegs, I felt a little high on the bike but it wasnít that bad. Iím 6í tall but I will consider it.

Hi, just a word on your 'high feeling' foot pegs.
Sherco fitted a very low, fkat bar in 2019 compared to the previous models.
Lots of owners, myself included, fitted bars with the old shape to feel comfortable in the cockpit.
Their bars were Oxia (an excellent in house brand) and the bend is the same as CR High Bend.
2019 300 SEF Factory
2011 TE449
Admin - Sherco Riders & Owners FB group
Just an old quick trail rider having a go.
From Qld Australia 🌏

motif

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2020, 02:42:47 AM »
Sfade thanks for the info on the forks, definitely will remove oil. Iíve also read good comments on installing 1.0 ICS springs.

As for the footpegs, I felt a little high on the bike but it wasnít that bad. Iím 6í tall but I will consider it.

Lots of owners, myself included, fitted bars with the old shape to feel comfortable in the cockpit.
Their bars were Oxia (an excellent in house brand) and the bend is the same as CR High Bend.

good to know, maybe I try renthal bars instead.

jiar577

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2020, 05:38:42 AM »

Thanks for the heads up, I have a couple of handlebars so removed the stock Oxia and the bend is really similar to the Protaper steering damper low. I donít have a way to measure it but just putting them side by side Iím almost positive both are exactly the same bend. Why did Sherco specs such a low hb? Unless youíre 5ft tall or install a submount steering damper itís useless.

Installed a stock OB hb which is around 23mm taller than the Oxia and ergos feel a lot better.
2021 Sherco 300se Factory
2015 KTM 300 Sixdays (sold)
2015 KTM 350 Sixdays

BD123

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2020, 06:12:30 AM »

What I didnít like? The air filter access...

I am continually comparing the pros/cons of the next 300 I am interested in (between Sherco and Beta).  Thank you for your comments!

The air filter access has been one of the "cons" for the Sherco that I have heard from some online.  My closest experience with this filter access was my old Honda and Kawi bikes.  I always thought the air filter access, alignment, knowing when it was "tight" enough, knowing when it was aligned, etc. was cumbersome.  Then when I got my KTM, I was amazed at the ease of the air filter install, access, ability to clean the intake tube, etc.   

Is the air filter access that big of a deal? 
Anyone out there like the air filter access and attachment better than the KTM/Husky/Beta setups?
If you like it better why?
Does the support for the filter screw flex as you tighten or can you easily tell when it is tight enough? (my old Honda flexed a ton as you would tighten the stud)

rkm

• Junior
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2020, 07:30:31 AM »
Access is a bit tight but not as bad as most Jap bikes.
KTM did have a killer setup but has gone downhill with the 17 revamp. The new setup is not secure and pokes a hole through the filter. Also if you hook the sidepanel with your boot, it unhooks the air filter. So if the sidepanel comes loose, you need to pull it off and make sure the filter is still tight.
Beta, in their infinite wisdom, decided to copy it.

Alignment is really hard to screw up on the Sherco with the 6 pins on the cage.

jiar577

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2020, 10:08:50 PM »

What I didnít like? The air filter access...

I am continually comparing the pros/cons of the next 300 I am interested in (between Sherco and Beta).  Thank you for your comments!

The air filter access has been one of the "cons" for the Sherco that I have heard from some online.  My closest experience with this filter access was my old Honda and Kawi bikes.  I always thought the air filter access, alignment, knowing when it was "tight" enough, knowing when it was aligned, etc. was cumbersome.  Then when I got my KTM, I was amazed at the ease of the air filter install, access, ability to clean the intake tube, etc.   

Is the air filter access that big of a deal? 
Anyone out there like the air filter access and attachment better than the KTM/Husky/Beta setups?
If you like it better why?
Does the support for the filter screw flex as you tighten or can you easily tell when it is tight enough? (my old Honda flexed a ton as you would tighten the stud)

Air filter access isn't bad at all, it's just that on the orange bikes is so easy. You're overthinking this one lol

I'm trying to be as objective as I can, but this bike makes it hard to be objective: it's so close to perfect out of the crate... I spent $25 on a couple of carb needles, $50 on UHD tubes and that was it, literally ready to race. The components, suspension, paint, welds & how it's put together screams quality. And the handling... never been so impressed by a new bike as a whole package. I'm still undecided on what I like more about this bike, engine or handling?
2021 Sherco 300se Factory
2015 KTM 300 Sixdays (sold)
2015 KTM 350 Sixdays