Author Topic: 2020 SEF 500  (Read 1606 times)

Supernova666

• Novice
  • Send it
    • View Profile
    • Email
2020 SEF 500
« on: November 02, 2020, 07:01:11 AM »
Finally got to ride the 500 some more.  Did mainly fast flowy stuff, fire roads, atv trails, some single track.  I did put the exh snorkle restrictor back in as it feels about the same power wise, but just less noisy. 

Fuel consumption was not good for the first 22 miles, and the oil was fuel contaminated.  I changed the oil, and put another 25 miles on it and it also has a hint of fuel smell but was able to get the 25 miles on roughly 1/5th of a tank.  Figure this is pretty normal given break in.  Transmission is very tight and shift timing is crucial.  At some points, the shifter will just NOT move unless clutch is pulled all the way in or throttle timing is perfect.  I'd equate it driving an manual trans 18 wheeler where shift timing is key. 

Power is fantastic.  Coming off of a 2 stroke, its taking some mental reprogramming to control the throttle differently.  On very rocky jagged hill climbs where throttle blipping a 2 stroke would be appropriate, thats NOT the case with the 500 unless you want to stall it, or flame it out.  Just smooth steady throttle apply and home free.  Will take some time to get my mind back to 4T mode since its been a few years since I actually rode one in the woods.

There is an issue with the exhaust.  I hope its just a head pipe flaw and not a design issue.  I have send the below photos to the dealer and awaiting their reply.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 07:02:57 AM by Supernova666 »
You will only sound insane if you try to explain reality

Heilman181

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 2020 SEF 500
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2020, 07:34:30 AM »
Mine has plenty of clearance!
2020 Sherco 500 SE-F Factory

Supernova666

• Novice
  • Send it
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2020, 10:24:10 AM »
yeah i dont know what the deal is with mine.  Even with tab bent over, its super close.

Supernova666

• Novice
  • Send it
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2020, 01:46:51 PM »
Got roughly 150 miles on it now.  10hrs...

Dealer has ordered an injector as a reflash did not cure the stalls/flooding issue.  Other than that, bike is great. Gearing needs some work, terrible for dual sport unless you want to cruise on the rev limiter.

Hoping to get another ride in this weekend as the more I ride it, the faster I am getting on it.  Even in the rocky creekbed stuff, Im already much faster than I was on my kato 300 2T.  Guess I just prefer the 4T torque curve over the pipey 2 stroke.

Supernova666

• Novice
  • Send it
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 10:22:09 AM »
New injector is in...useless however.   Went to start it up before injector swap and it flooded....wtf?? on an EFI bike? yup.  plug was soaking wet.  Ran battery dead cranking it over. 

new plugs will be here today.  This bike is being such a POS. 

jamracing

• Vet
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 06:29:49 AM »
New injector is in...useless however.   Went to start it up before injector swap and it flooded....wtf?? on an EFI bike? yup.  plug was soaking wet.  Ran battery dead cranking it over. 

new plugs will be here today.  This bike is being such a POS.
If the dealer is close by, just drop it off and let them get frustrated with it
2020 300 SE Factory

gassa

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 10:48:48 AM »
I have the same bike and the fuel consumption was about 20% higher than my buddies bikes.

I changed the gearing and it improved a bit.

By driving it with higher gears and lowering the rpm it made the bike also more fun to drive. It was ( and still is ) very strange how gearbox is set. Fasted speed was around 100 km/h....now it is 135 or about. Not much fun when taking the highway between routes.

I agree shifting gears is quite stiff. I was hoping it would be more fluid but after 50 hours it is still the same.

Great bike though !!

Supernova666

• Novice
  • Send it
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2021, 06:40:19 AM »
New plug in and it fired right up.  The old one was carbon fouled bad. 

With new injector in, the bike runs completely different.  Fuel consumption is now half of what it was, and the oil level is no longer climbing.  Power wise it feels softer but a lot more trackable.  I know this isnt a single track bike and thats what I am used to.  Rode it at Red River and was a dandy in bills woods.  Even though it hits like a freight train, its still manageable in the tight stuff and loose hill climbs.  Even at 27f it started no problem.  Cranked a bit slower but started after a few revolutions without issue and idled nice and consistent for warmup.

A new issue has arisen that has my scratching my head though.  Going to see what the dealer says about it.

After a few hours of riding in the tight stuff, the idle starts hanging.  LIke 3000+ rpm.   That sure makes downhill drop offs and tight switchbacks sketchy AF!

If I pull clutch in, it will eventually return to normal after 3-4 FULL seconds, but as soon as I give it some throttle it hangs again.  Like a carb'd bike pulling air.  I checked the TB coupler and it seems normal.  Did loosen clamps and push it onto the TB and intake a little farther and re-tightened the clamps.  Still did it.  Its a random issue.  Weird...

Shut bike off, let it sit for maybe 30 seconds and bingo....it idles normal for 5-6 miles then it does it again.  The stepper may be getting hot? 

burner25!

• Junior
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2021, 09:36:38 AM »
Glad you sorted the first problem.
On the revs , my bike did it when I was out once, but itís not done it since. Someone said to take the stepper motor off and clean it as they get gummed up!? I thought Iíd just over oiled the air filter one time.
Anyway try that if it continues.

I find this bike great on single track and tight woods.
I do think the gearbox is stiff, Iím on 64 hours so I canít see it loosens up!
Keep us updated!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Supernova666

• Novice
  • Send it
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2021, 12:53:53 PM »
I am working with the Dealer on the idle issue.  I haven't ridden it much since last outing.  I think I may have torn a portion of my ACL when I rolled my knee in a deep trench.  Also, my left elbow is now permanently blown out like my right.  Cartilage has separated and is floating around so I have limited mobility in both arms now.  I see my riding days are numbered :(