Author Topic: 300 SEF-R cam chain noise or tensioner issue?  (Read 157 times)

Willdabeast

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
300 SEF-R cam chain noise or tensioner issue?
« on: November 14, 2020, 11:34:05 PM »
Hello all, my 2019 300 SEF-R, makes a bit of noise that sounds like timing chain, the tensioner seems to be working, and I have checked to see that it does not let go by tapping it on a bench, (and it was reinstalled with the correct cam timing) it makes no noise under hard reverse load(down steep hill engine braking in 1st), but makes consistent noise in all other situations, are timing chains very stretchy on these bikes?  Are there better tensioners available out there? it has about 45 hours on it, and the oil /filter has been changed as it should have been.  Do I just give the tensioner a click or two more to tension it up a bit, the spring just seems not to do the trick?  Is there anything after the spring(against the actual ratchet mechanism of the tensioner)?  Mine is cap, spring then the tensioner itself.  Any tricks to know when removing or accessing the timing chain?   Just need a general direction to go fellas and ladies....Thanks,   Will from Brisbane Australia. :D
2019 300 SEF-R in Brisbane Australia

Willdabeast

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 300 SEF-R cam chain noise or tensioner issue?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2020, 07:53:42 PM »
No one chiming in?  Anyone even had issues with noisy 300 sef-r engine?

erdat

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2020, 08:31:56 AM »
I don't have the know how of differentiating or the skill to pick up the noise form the cam timing chain. If it helps, I could record and send you the engine sound of my son's SEF300 (2017) for comparison purposes. The bike has about 85hrs. Let me know,

cheers,
Erdat 
'15 SE-R 250
Ankara, Turkey

burner25!

• Junior
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2020, 10:04:22 AM »
No one chiming in?  Anyone even had issues with noisy 300 sef-r engine?
Hi will

Itís very slow on this site, remember Shercoís donít brake down! So no one logs on. It can take weeks for a reply

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

forestrider

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2020, 08:17:12 AM »
I have bad news for you.  My 19 sef started making noise, I checked the top end twice but finally pulled it apart to find the rod had play.  when I rebuilt the crank I found the pin had a weird wear.  I contacted Sherco and they said this year had a modified pin with a groove to allow more oil.  That mode was definitely a bad choice for Sherco engineering as now the replacement does not have the machined groove and the 21 went to plain bearing.

The funny thing is the rod looks fine just the pin and bearing.  The rep told me if you keep running it the piston will eventually fail. 

Willdabeast

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2020, 07:39:36 PM »
So I have to remove whole crank, or is it the top bearing where it connects to the piston?

forestrider

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2020, 09:16:37 PM »
It is the lower rod pin that is bad, the complete rod assembly will need to be replaced.  The US cost was about $220 but I also replaced the mains and piston although they were still in spec.  My total cost was in the $700 range