Author Topic: SE-R 300 Factory 2020 Randomly no spark and won't start  (Read 1546 times)

gilbert

• Novice
    • View Profile
SE-R 300 Factory 2020 Randomly no spark and won't start
« on: November 22, 2020, 01:14:38 AM »
Hello guys,

When my Sherco have avg 120 MTH i was on cross country competition and on second lap engine stopped. I tryied to start but without effect. I take motorcycle to my workshop and find that there is no spark...

I checked all electric conections and put special electric grease on it, coil params, pulser params, and everything was ok. I opened left case and found some metal fillings on pulser, clean it and motorcycle starts <3. But my happines did not take long. Few rides later (6 mth), the same problem. Starter works, engine not start - no spark...

I called Polish Sherco Importer and he told me to ship him my CDI, Coil and regulator rectifier. He checked all my parts and tell that everything was ok. So i put my old CDI, Coil and regulator rectifier to my Sherco, bought new Pulser and motorcycle starts! YEEEAH! I found...

But no, after another 2 mth the same situation - no spark. I go to home, put new battery and motorcycle started. I checked voltage when starting the engine and it was 7,2 V. So very high power consumption when starter works. I disassembled electric starter, clean, change electric brushes, change bearing. Now the voltage when starting the engine is 11,2 and engine starts without problems.

Today i wanted to go woods with friends. I started my Sherco it works maybe 15 seconds and dies... I checked - no spark... (SIC!) Checked voltage 12,4V, checked voltage when starter works 11,2V.

The problem shows in random situations and I have no idea anymore... I hope you guys can help me... Becouse Polish Sherco Importer have no idea to help me.

ShercoTip

• Novice
    • View Profile
Re: SE-R 300 Factory 2020 Randomly no spark and won't start
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 04:30:40 AM »
Hello.

Write to me on e-mail. I'm from Poland.

gajeskitrw@onet.eu

gilbert

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2020, 12:49:00 PM »
Something new:
Engine starts left. So I have 6 reverse gears...

Trailrider383

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2020, 09:02:34 PM »
Well, that's a step backwards...

Gartzza

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2020, 10:52:41 PM »
...I disassembled electric starter, clean, change electric brushes, change bearing...

Do you have old style coil on your bike or new one with own CDI (Kokusan)? If old style, it might be broken. At least you can't measure it with home tools or multimeter etc.

I have had also starting problems and so far I have resolved them each time differently, so maybe the core reason for this kind of behavior is still unclear. So, during some time I have changed lead battery for winter, new coil, new start button, rectifier, main wiring harness. With old style coil lots of spark plugs went bad. Since last spring bike has worked normally, but now it has started starting bad again. I swopped  hopefully litium battery to lead battery again, but this time it doesn't resolve the problem, as earlier :(

Question: Where did you buy electric brushes? Or do you have information, which size they should be? Which battery you have now?

EnzimaRacing

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2021, 02:55:43 PM »
Hello everybody!
Im also a Sherco rider and I love this machine! I think is the best ride I ever had for hard enduro and besides Im facing some ignition issues I would not change a bolt on that bike!  ;D

I thing my ignition issue is very similar to yours. My Sherco 300 SE Factory 2021 (20ART) doesn't start. I can see a single spark on the spark plug and nothing more (yes one spark only). I believe I have checked everything possible and I still didn't find the problem:
New Spark Plug;
Pull ECU far away from the ignition coil (magnetism effect known on 2019 models drives ECU crazy), 2021 models have already new rubber part on the ignition coil mount to increase the distance between both components;
Pick up coil checked and good;
Ignition coil - good (0,5 mOhm between + and -);
DC CDI - good (getting the 12V on the red wire and good ignition signal from ECU)
Stator good (3phase AC stator with  0,44ohm on Y1-Y2-Y3);
New Battery;
Diagnostic machine connected with no error issues.

One single spark is all I can get every 30 sec (I need to wait the ignition to turn off if I want to see one spark again).
Please share any in put you may have!
Thanks!

Strosek

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2021, 10:41:58 AM »
Guys, the issue you're having is a bad relay.  It's the relay behind the left side panel in a little rubber boot.  The tell tale sign is the single spark.

When you get a replacement use a little epoxy to properly seal the relay as water gets in and corrodes the contacts and this is what happens.
Cheap replacements are available on ebay as this is a universal part.

Good luck!!

EnzimaRacing

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2021, 10:59:27 AM »
Hi Guys!
Well I didn't have the chance to look into the relay, but a talked to the dealer and they sent me new CDI and new Ignition Coil.

PROBLEM SOLVED, engine running smooth!

In my opinion is was the CDI, ignition coil show standard resistance values on the primary coil, but I didn't tested separately.

Dealer was great, ship me both components in same they we speak!

All the best end good rides!

Gartzza

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2021, 03:52:50 AM »
Hi Guys!
Well I didn't have the chance to look into the relay, but a talked to the dealer and they sent me new CDI and new Ignition Coil.

PROBLEM SOLVED, engine running smooth!

In my opinion is was the CDI, ignition coil show standard resistance values on the primary coil, but I didn't tested separately.

Did you got similar new cdi and new ignition coil as you had in the stock bike or what are the differences?