Author Topic: SHERCO 450/500 THERMOSTAT  (Read 341 times)

gassa

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
SHERCO 450/500 THERMOSTAT
« on: February 17, 2021, 01:57:12 AM »
Hi. I was wondering if any has put thermostat into the bike.

And why wouldn´t there be one to begin with?

In wintertime I believe engine runs to cold because lub oil smells of gasoline ( fuel injection make the mix to rich, engine to cold )

Thanks in advance !

DEL107

• Novice
    • View Profile
Re: SHERCO 450/500 THERMOSTAT
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 05:55:50 PM »
Competition bikes rarely come with them as overheating is usually the issue, not over cooling.

It's not unusual to cover one or even both of your radiators with anything from low tech cardboard to custom cut plastic, with some perforations if needed depending upon just how cold the air temp is.  Trail tech sells a thermometer if you want a real idea of the temp your bike is running.   

gassa

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 02:50:52 AM »
Maybe...It comes already in KTM ?

Anyway we drive a lot in 10 to - 10 degrees here and fuel consumption are noticable higher than other KTM

I will cover the radiators and have engine heat display until this is solved.

DEL107

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 06:53:03 PM »
Maybe...It comes already in KTM ?

Anyway we drive a lot in 10 to - 10 degrees here and fuel consumption are noticable higher than other KTM

I will cover the radiators and have engine heat display until this is solved.

Here in the US, the street legal KTM models like the EXC and off road XCF-W come with Thermostat, the race ones SXF/XCF do not. Your situation of richness would cause a bike to fail emissions certification so it makes sense to have the thermostat to keep the bike at the perfect temp. Guys here can't wait to take them off because they think it'll make some power which is untrue.

Maybe there is an in-line solution to install a thermostat for you? Something off a different brand or model?

gassa

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2021, 02:03:49 AM »
Thanks.

Yes I was hoping someone would guide me to thermostat that was slim because there is not much room for it. Maybe if I reroute the hoses it would be possible to use thermo-bob thermostat or something else aftermarket solution.