Author Topic: 2020 starting issues  (Read 2981 times)

peewee

• Novice
    • View Profile
2020 starting issues
« on: December 02, 2020, 01:16:20 PM »
Hi everyone,
I've a 2020 Sherco 300 ser, with 10hrs on clock. just wondering is anyone experiencing any starting issues,(electrical) or aware of any dealer reworks,faulty components etc on this specific bike??
Unfortunately my fault is intermittent however getting worse! Battery seems good,checked all electrical connections,even added a seperate earth from motor mounting bolt to the battery earth on frame under fuel tank!
I've taken the bike to the dealers,...sods law never played up!! Tried starting the bike last weekend,fault occurred again,managed to video on phone.Have now sent video to dealer!!
Fault: Press start button,starter motor just clunks, after several attempts will eventually crank engine and start!!
Any info will be greatly appreciated :)
Thanks

erdat

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
Re: 2020 starting issues
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2020, 05:57:02 AM »
my friendes 2020 SEF 250 had oxdized starter button, that was the problem! the way he determined the problem was 1. short circuted the starter relay, then went on and disconnected the startet button connecter, and short circuited that one, that's how he found that the starter button was the problem. <<perhaps it might be as simple as that,
-erdat 
'15 SE-R 250
Ankara, Turkey

peewee

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2020, 09:45:36 AM »
Many thanks for info, will try

motif

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2020, 08:03:07 AM »
welcome to the club, all these bikes have start problems, weak battery, crappy start button etc etc
Mine has almost 100 hours and same sh@#$t from time to time with starting.

Gartzza

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 11:21:39 PM »
After weather became colder and now it's minus degrees, starting is getting poor from time to time. Again. It may require 10 tries without any sign of starting, but then it suddenly starts as it should, straight away. No matter do I use Yuasa led battery or litium battery. I have changed once throttle housing/assembly, including starter button, and cleaned the button inside not so long time ago. Frustrating that in the garage bike starts well and problems occur only during riding >:(

Next time it wont start, I'll short circuit the cables next to the starter relay under the seat by my 10mm wrench and let's see, does it start straight away. I have the wrench hidden in to the foam on the handlebar for the occasion, that the wire to the starter button gets ripped off. This happened once.. This bike needs a kick starter. I thought my Yamaha is starting bad from the button, but it's nothing compared to this one :(

Any other ideas for the reason?

eralha

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2021, 03:38:30 AM »
Hi i own a 2021 300 SE .

One day i the bike gave me a flat battery i needed to jump start it on the garage, after that the ride went well, the bike charged the battery.

On last ride the power valve motor stoped working, here in Portugal we had lots of rain and i power wash my bike every ride 2-3 times a week.

what i found that was causing the problems was moisture/water on the connections to the power valve motor and the flat battery was in another connection that was keeping the ignition turned on.

I took out all the connections i could find and cleaned them with contact cleaner now its good, i think that this is maintenance that we need to do in the winter.

Cheers.

Gartzza

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2021, 11:14:06 PM »
After the ride when bike became cold, I couldn't start it again outside (exhausted one litium and one lead battery when trying). The spark was from the level of one spark in the beginning to none. After that I took bike inside and started tearing it open: I checked most of the connectors for dust or moisture, wires and wire harness visually, used new plug without change, put in new regulator as I happened to have one, swopped places of relays and no change for better. Then I plugged the charger on the battery (because it was starting to get weak) attached to the bike and after a while, the spark came back and was perfect time to time. Was the reason the charging of the battery only or how much did effect the fact that bike got warmer in the garage within those 6 hours?

Next day the bike started straight away again in the garage and I did ride about few hours, during which the starting became worse and worse. It was -11C outside. So, now I'm still confused what is core reason for this behavior. Have those batteries again gone bad? They seem to have normal voltage. Last time I measured the one on the bike, it was 13,3V. I think the latest one is third battery for this bike and fourth is now ordered. Can it be so that bike does not charge battery well enough during the ride? But for the last ride I put in a new regulator, so it shouldn't be the reason.

Can I check all wires by with multimeter so that I put one lead to the pin in the main connector and another lead to the other end of that wire (for example wire coming to relay)? Or I need to tear open the whole wire harness and look for cuts, bruises etc. on the wires?

ricey3

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2021, 06:51:55 AM »
the general advice on all the 300 two strokes is that the lithium batteries don't cope well with cold at all.

I've found you have to follow the waking procedure for the lithium battery quite closely. I now do this without the choke on for the first couple of start attempts for the day so as not to flood/foul the plug. Sometimes the battery does not even have enough internal temperature to engage the starter mech properly. Almost like your engines seized - which it isn't. 

The UK distributer advises fitting a lead acid for the colder months and tells me that Sherco are working with Shido to produce a larger capacity battery for future models. I fitted a lead acid and the problems went away a bit.

There is also a new map - recently released that allows more current to flow and aid starting. this will help also. Its recently out so you may need an update.

JS_MO

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2021, 07:22:09 AM »
My 2019 tpi husky 250 will not crank the engine over if it is below 25F, -3C. It came with a Li ion battery. Will hardly spin the bendix. Get it about 10 degrees warmer, and it works just fine.

Gartzza

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2021, 04:03:59 AM »
Yesterday bike started from the first press of the button in the warm, but while driving in temperature -11C, I hardly could restart the bike even when it stopped on the track, meaning straight after it was shut down. Current batteries are not old and another one is lead battery from Yuasa, but neither one does not work properly in cold. As there seems to be a pattern here, it's most probably either battery problem either charging problem. I try new battery next thing, even though current batteries shouldn't be so old..  :(

eralha

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2021, 02:02:26 AM »
Yesterday bike started from the first press of the button in the warm, but while driving in temperature -11C, I hardly could restart the bike even when it stopped on the track, meaning straight after it was shut down. Current batteries are not old and another one is lead battery from Yuasa, but neither one does not work properly in cold. As there seems to be a pattern here, it's most probably either battery problem either charging problem. I try new battery next thing, even though current batteries shouldn't be so old..  :(

I think your main problem is with the battery, the ignition on this bikes need to have a battery working good, one time when my battert gone flat i tryed to bump start it with no success, even on a long downhill, it only worked with a jump starter, and when i would take out one of the wires of the jump starter the bike would die. So i can tell that thes bikes need to have power in the battery.

And the lithium battery are not good for cold weather, better try a lead acid battery.

alang

• Vet
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2021, 06:08:00 PM »
Earthx etz5g works great
On my 17 300ser.
2017 Sherco 300 2T Factory
2016 Aprilia Tuono 1100 Factory
2019 Santa Cruz Tallboy Carbon R
Azle, Texas

Gartzza

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2021, 10:40:10 PM »

I think your main problem is with the battery, the ignition on this bikes need to have a battery working good, one time when my battert gone flat i tryed to bump start it with no success, even on a long downhill, it only worked with a jump starter, and when i would take out one of the wires of the jump starter the bike would die. So i can tell that thes bikes need to have power in the battery.

And the lithium battery are not good for cold weather, better try a lead acid battery.

I installled new litium battery (Aliant YLP14) with 245 cca cold cranking power and could ride this time without any major problems. There were some situations that it took 3-4 tries to start the bike, but in total, the difference with older battery was very significant. This confirms the feeling that many of starting problems with this bike are related to bad battery. Even though, you think that your battery is not so old, it does work well on another bike or you have charged it right before, it just might be not good and strong enough for this bike, I might say, a quit picky bike, in this relation.. :-X

Gartzza

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2021, 12:14:15 AM »
I installled new litium battery (Aliant YLP14) with 245 cca cold cranking power and could ride this time without any major problems. There were some situations that it took 3-4 tries to start the bike, but in total, the difference with older battery was very significant. This confirms the feeling that many of starting problems with this bike are related to bad battery. Even though, you think that your battery is not so old, it does work well on another bike or you have charged it right before, it just might be not good and strong enough for this bike, I might say, a quit picky bike, in this relation.. :-X

Yesterday it was only few degrees minus outside and bike worked mainly okay, but there were few times that bike didn't start as it should, from the first press of the start button, but it needed number of tries and it took about 10-20sec to get bike started. Now I have that brand new litium battery with 245 cca installed, so bad battery can't be the reason for this behavior. I'll keep riding and monitoring the issue. If problem will get worse, next things to be tried out are: new relays and that thing mentioned in another thread - ecu getting some bad wibes from the ignition coil (or what was that   :o )

Gartzza

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2021, 06:04:04 AM »

Yesterday it was only few degrees minus outside and bike worked mainly okay, but there were few times that bike didn't start as it should, from the first press of the start button, but it needed number of tries and it took about 10-20sec to get bike started. Now I have that brand new litium battery with 245 cca installed, so bad battery can't be the reason for this behavior. I'll keep riding and monitoring the issue. If problem will get worse, next things to be tried out are: new relays and that thing mentioned in another thread - ecu getting some bad wibes from the ignition coil (or what was that   :o )

I bought new relays for the bike and problem remains. During riding if bike stops (or I turn it off), it occasionally starts again only after several attempts. If stoppage is very short, bike may start from the first push of the button, but the longer the bike stands, the longer it may take to start it up. I discussed with dealer and they said that there have been few updates for the GET CDI box for ignition. Next thing is that I'll send the cdi box to the dealer for update. If that doesn't work, I'll be out of ideas, once again.  :-\