Author Topic: kyb suspension settings  (Read 827 times)

johnnyfwoods

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
kyb suspension settings
« on: November 25, 2020, 06:45:13 AM »
hey guys i have a 2019 300 sef factory  i changed the springs to my weight from a local tuner and that is it   looking to keep as stock as possible  so my question is where do i set the clickers? i have the kyb technical touch currently set at... forks R:12 C:12 shack R: 13 C: 14 HS 1.5 with 97 race sag   im a vet B harescamble racer  i prefer a softer ride but i got bumped to A class and i know they need to be a tad stiffer for faster riding   just curious if my settings are close or any adjustment may be needed   also my forks are on the second line in the clamp thanks

jamracing

• Vet
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: kyb suspension settings
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2020, 01:01:03 PM »
Fork position should be adjusted for the terrain. The tighter/slower the track, the more you can pull them up, as it'll help with steering.
For settings, i always start in the middle and work from there. If you're a slow A rider, you'll want it on the stiffer side. I'd also put a zip-tie on the fork and see how far to compress it, and adjust accordingly. You want to use up the full travel on the biggest jump.
2020 300 SE Factory

johnnyfwoods

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2020, 05:21:53 AM »
ok thank you

Sfade

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2020, 05:47:13 AM »
2020 300 SEF Factory myself.  First, put a zip tie on your fork leg if you already haven't to see how much travel you are leaving on the table when you ride.  Most rides I have an inch left...for that big hole that I may hit:) Take black sharpie and color the shock shaft bottom up maybe .5" and see what's left after a ride.  Adjust compression damping to utilize more or less.  Quick rebound settings:  Front rebound when you push down hard and release should not oscillate more than once to your sag point.  Rear, ride off something tall with an edge while seated and if you get bucked up off seat slow the rebound.   

My dry body weight is 157lbs.  So, for me it was either turn every clicker all the way out or remove oil.  I removed 20cc of oil from each leg and kept clickers close to normal settings--which is about midway. 

Fork Height: Depending on how fast you ride and how quick you want your steering vs. how much stability you want ie. tight woods speeds = quicker steering and open desert speeds = more stability; raise and lower your forks for effect.  I ride tight woods and sand so I have my forks just past flush to rake out the front for stability in the sand, but since the Sherco's head angle is already steep it still steers faster than my KTM 2 stroke.  When I get on terra firma I raise the forks up to second line from top cap. 

FYI, I spent almost $2K additional on my WP suspension using Kreft Moto's internals on my KTM and it blew my mind how good the air fork can be.  And still, its not as good as the stock KYB on Sherco!

« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 05:50:45 AM by Sfade »
2021 Sherco 300 SE Factory
2020 Sherco 300 SEF Factory
2019 KTM 250XC

O2B

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2020, 03:55:44 PM »
Had I known KYB and WP used the same fork tube manufacturer, I would've had the Ride Shop install KYB internals for my KTMs.
I'm like you, ended up spending 3+ G's on Kreft Moto for a 250 and 150 (xcw's)....better than stock? yeh...am I wow'ing? No

Out of the box with the Sherco, never felt so pleased (with only adjusting) but yes there's room for improvement ultimately.
Would prefer a spring rate up and softer valving (maybe with a little less oil), I'm at 178lbs w/o gear.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 03:57:34 PM by O2B »