Author Topic: SE 300 factory 2021 - Starting issues  (Read 2238 times)

rkm

• Junior
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: SE 300 factory 2021 - Starting issues
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2021, 08:29:11 AM »
Add an additional ground from the battery direct to the subframe. Theres a nutsert right above the voltage regulator thats very convenient. If you get a long crank time with no start but starts perfect occasionally, you need the update.

Euro fuel runs differently than ours, the jetting chart is almost useless. Especially as you go up in altitude.

N3YMY

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2021, 11:00:50 AM »
The starter not engaging at first sounds like a bad battery. Is it a groaning noise or a freespin noise?

IMHO the 4Ah battery from the factory is too small for these machines; to continuously run a fuel pump, ECU and periodic restarts, it can get run down quick.

Changing to a battery that has 220 CCA vs 40 CCA was a huge shot in the arm for me.

Especially in colder weather...

alang

• Vet
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2021, 08:04:20 AM »
Earthx etz5g is a great battery
If you decide to replace yours.
2017 Sherco 300 2T Factory
2016 Aprilia Tuono 1100 Factory
2019 Santa Cruz Tallboy Carbon R
Azle, Texas

motif

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2021, 05:58:35 PM »
so sherco still didn't fix that...

welcome to the club.

Gartzza

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2021, 09:49:38 AM »
Just updating the info: additional 16mm2 ground cable from minus pole of the battery to the frame didn't have any kind of effect on the starting issue. I'll have my ECU updated maybe next week, but delaer says, it probably won't help, but it's the starter that's somehow faulty or creates this issue. We'll see..

DEL107

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2021, 06:05:53 PM »
There is hope guys. I have a three week old '21 SE. I verified with the dealer before I took delivery that it had the latest map, the one that cured what RKM mentioned. He made it clear he understood the new map install, the one where you have to disconnect the GET so you don't fry it.

Hot , cold (in the van @20-28F all night), in gear, doesn't matter. Starts with half a spin.

I just hope the hell you've got good dealer support. No excuse for a '21 not to fire right up.

Get on the phone with Sherco, raise some hell...these are expensive bikes so don't let them off the hook. They should be replacing wiring harnesses, starters, what ever it takes.

Otherwise they are just shit like KTM warrantee service 

Gartzza

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2021, 11:04:59 AM »
There is hope guys. I have a three week old '21 SE. I verified with the dealer before I took delivery that it had the latest map, the one that cured what RKM mentioned. He made it clear he understood the new map install, the one where you have to disconnect the GET so you don't fry it.

hi, could you explain, what exactly is “GET” and how to disconnect it? How  ECU update procedure should done correctly? I need to understand this in order to explain my dealer..

DEL107

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2021, 04:01:51 PM »

hi, could you explain, what exactly is “GET” and how to disconnect it? How  ECU update procedure should done correctly? I need to understand this in order to explain my dealer..

Email Mitch over @Hard Enduro Outfitters so it won't be second hand info. I found the info scattered across a few different threads, but basically the GET portion is disconnected from the bike while the dealer uploads the updated software. If it's not disconnected during the process, it will fry.

peppegiacchi79

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2021, 08:49:45 PM »

Hot , cold (in the van @20-28F all night), in gear, doesn't matter. Starts with half a spin.

I just hope the hell you've got good dealer support. No excuse for a '21 not to fire right up.

Get on the phone with Sherco, raise some hell...these are expensive bikes so don't let them off the hook. They should be replacing wiring harnesses, starters, what ever it takes.

Otherwise they are just shit like KTM warrantee service
what must be disconnected to update?  what is the GET?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

erdat

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2021, 10:22:10 AM »
The get is th athena cdi box. The connecter is on the right side. You have to remove the gasoline tank to get access to the connector. One you have access you need to unplug the connecter. This will prevent the get fired!
-erdat
'15 SE-R 250
Ankara, Turkey

Gartzza

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2021, 03:28:55 AM »
Just updating the info: additional 16mm2 ground cable from minus pole of the battery to the frame didn't have any kind of effect on the starting issue. I'll have my ECU updated maybe next week, but dealaer says, it probably won't help, but it's the starter that's somehow faulty or creates this issue. We'll see..

:) I installed updated ECU on the bike yesterday in warm garage and bike started perfectly. I drove around little bit on the yard and stalled the bike many times on purpose and could always start the bike on the gear clutch pulled in - this have not happened in a long time. But as the starting problem occured usually when cold (even during riding), i took the bike in the van on the parking lot for the night and tried out starting in the morning in ~-2C outside: From the first push of the start button the bike started perfectly! So, maybe this is not full test yet, but it seems that UPDATING the ECU was the cure. When trying to solve the starting issue, I have tried out many different batteries (now litium 245cca), new wire harness, new plugs, new relays, additional ground wire for the battery, changed from old-style ignition coil to new type - Athena box + kokusan coil (old coil just deteriorated), have cleaned all possible grounds in the bike and start button and what else..

So, if you have such kind of a starting problem that despite of motor spinning, bendix and starter engaging there's no spark in the beginning or it's very weak - get your ECU updated at your dealer. Don't buy first that starter they are selling    ;D
« Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 03:31:07 AM by Gartzza »