Author Topic: Sherco clutches a weak point?  (Read 1558 times)

jiar577

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sherco clutches a weak point?
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2021, 05:51:09 AM »
The 2021 2t has 9mm master so lever isn't as stiff.  My 2020 300 factory 4T (for sale in classifieds by the way) is 10mm and a hair stiffer.  I shimmed each spring a few mm and it really reduced the stiffness but maintained plenty of pressure. 

I've put quite a few hours on the new 300 2T and I started pushing the clutch really hard in some nasty stuff.  I did notice a change in engagement point and it was messing with me a bit.  Then again it may have been my tired hands.  Regardless, I like to try new things so I ordered up the Torq drive clutch pack from Rekluse.  If/when it wears out I'll have my stock pack to throw back in.  I'll post how it goes when I drop it in...this forum is on life support so gotta try and keep it fresh.

Did you installed the Torq drive after all?
2021 Sherco 300se Factory
2015 KTM 300 Sixdays (sold)
2015 KTM 350 Sixdays

Sfade

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2021, 05:58:14 AM »
The 2021 2t has 9mm master so lever isn't as stiff.  My 2020 300 factory 4T (for sale in classifieds by the way) is 10mm and a hair stiffer.  I shimmed each spring a few mm and it really reduced the stiffness but maintained plenty of pressure. 

I've put quite a few hours on the new 300 2T and I started pushing the clutch really hard in some nasty stuff.  I did notice a change in engagement point and it was messing with me a bit.  Then again it may have been my tired hands.  Regardless, I like to try new things so I ordered up the Torq drive clutch pack from Rekluse.  If/when it wears out I'll have my stock pack to throw back in.  I'll post how it goes when I drop it in...this forum is on life support so gotta try and keep it fresh.

Did you installed the Torq drive after all?

Yes, I did just install it two days ago.  Nice kit.  I really like it saves your basket from being notched with those stainless sleeves.  The pull felt great.  However, I ended up taking my KTM out the next day as my clutch cover gasket was crushed in one section causing a slight oil leak I didn't notice.  I hate those sherco clutch cover gaskets.  You have to be very careful when you reuse them as they don't seat well.  I ordered two new ones from AOMC so probably won't ride it to review until next week.  I will post once I get at least 5hrs on clutch as the first couple it will need breaking in so feel will change. 
2021 Sherco 300 SE Factory
2020 Sherco 300 SEF Factory (Supermoto)
2019 KTM 250XC

jiar577

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2021, 05:28:06 PM »
Yes, I did just install it two days ago.  Nice kit.  I really like it saves your basket from being notched with those stainless sleeves.  The pull felt great.  However, I ended up taking my KTM out the next day as my clutch cover gasket was crushed in one section causing a slight oil leak I didn't notice.  I hate those sherco clutch cover gaskets.  You have to be very careful when you reuse them as they don't seat well.  I ordered two new ones from AOMC so probably won't ride it to review until next week.  I will post once I get at least 5hrs on clutch as the first couple it will need breaking in so feel will change.

Seems promising, please post your comments once you have a few more hours on it.

I hear you on the CC gasket thing, I fixed it by accident: bought a used 450sef Rekluse clutch cover (looks like new & got it for a dime actually) thinking it would be a straight fit but once I got it realized the 450 cover doesn't have the slot for the 2T gasket, so I made a paper gasket for it. Been working great so far. The only issue is the Rekluse letters on the cover are slightly tilted forward but looks as it should once the bike sags under my weight. For what I paid for the cover I can't complaint lol
2021 Sherco 300se Factory
2015 KTM 300 Sixdays (sold)
2015 KTM 350 Sixdays

Sfade

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2021, 05:29:50 AM »
Rekluse is a tad bigger for more oil and stronger so that's a good buy.  I was just going to used silicone or gasket maker, but I figured I could wait for the proper O rings as is less of a mess.  That's why I have 2x 2 strokes so I always have a bike to ride.  Funny thing, I was out on my KTM due to awaiting new Sherco gasket, and I blew out the throttle cable.  It pulled out of its crimped end at the throttle.  Gasket comes in today, so now the Sherco will be up and now the KTM down.  Will be out on Sherco this week to break in that new Rekluse clutch pack. 
2021 Sherco 300 SE Factory
2020 Sherco 300 SEF Factory (Supermoto)
2019 KTM 250XC

Butty sugrue

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2021, 01:17:02 PM »
17 250t 199hrs original clutch no problems and Iíve removed two springs as well

Gartzza

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2021, 03:43:13 AM »
250 hours on a SE 300 (2019) with original clutch. I put washers under the springs somewhere in early stages in order to ease the pull and no problems nevertheless. 
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 04:13:17 AM by Gartzza »

jamracing

• Vet
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2021, 09:55:17 AM »
Someone posted a link to OEM replacement pack (by Pro-x maybe)... Anyone know about this? Otherwise i'll grab the Honda replacement parts
2020 300 SE Factory

jamracing

• Vet
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2021, 04:41:37 AM »
I have 392hrs on my 16 300 SER on the stock clutch and 328hrs on my 17 300 SER stock clutch.  I had to put one in my gals 17 250 SER at 88hrs because it literally started disintegrating but bike was purchased used with 80hrs. I put a Honda XR600 clutch pack in it and it now has 269hrs.  I'm not that easy on my clutches either. I use my own custom oil blend of 50 50 Rotella T4 15-40 non synthetic and Mobil One 15-50 full synthetic.

cheeseberger
Looks like https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pro-X-16-S14091-Clutch-Friction-Plate-Set/224389223671 will do the job for the fibers, just need one more to complete the pack for Sherco?
2020 300 SE Factory

Nerminater

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2021, 12:24:36 PM »
I think that it's hard to fault a bike when a consumable gets consumed under extraordinary circumstances. When the pros subject it to wear and tear in 1-2 hours what normal riders will put it though in 60 or 100 hours, that's not too bad. My 2017 clutch had 81 hours on it when i sold the bike, and even with 3 KTM springs in it, not once did it slip or overheat.
As far as the engagement point, maybe it changed due to the clutch master cylinder change. the smaller piston requires more lever swing.
Cant argue with your reasoning, but you are admitting that you've had to alter a stock clutch.
2016 SE-R250 SIX DAYS
2012 WR250FA
1984 XT250G
1992 DR350E
1989 KDX 250

jamracing

• Vet
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2021, 05:26:33 PM »
I think that it's hard to fault a bike when a consumable gets consumed under extraordinary circumstances. When the pros subject it to wear and tear in 1-2 hours what normal riders will put it though in 60 or 100 hours, that's not too bad. My 2017 clutch had 81 hours on it when i sold the bike, and even with 3 KTM springs in it, not once did it slip or overheat.
As far as the engagement point, maybe it changed due to the clutch master cylinder change. the smaller piston requires more lever swing.
Cant argue with your reasoning, but you are admitting that you've had to alter a stock clutch.

Anything I modified want to make it more reliable. The newer models are just as reliable, but have a easier to use master cylinder
2020 300 SE Factory