Author Topic: 2021 300 SE throttle pull and upsizing sprockets  (Read 1084 times)

Sfade

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
    • Email
2021 300 SE throttle pull and upsizing sprockets
« on: February 22, 2021, 06:00:33 AM »
Stock 48t rear wasn't cutting it--lacked the ability to quickly get the front end up.  I went to 50t steel from supersprox and have the quick-torque I need.  It also makes 2nd gear perfect for really hard climbs and not spinning and not needing to clutch much.

The stock throttle cam has 2x positions. "Enduro" and "Cross".  Enduro comes on slow then ramps up.  Cross is big cam (quicker turning) and is waaaay too much for the woods.  I got in trouble real quick and immediately changed back to enduro after launching over a ridge and tumbling down the rocks.  What I really want is a cam that mimics my KTM 250.  Not quick turn but linear pull. I like ODI lockons too.  Running lockon on left and stock tube on right. No one I have found is making a linear pull cam like what I'm looking for.  I have a bunch of ODI lockon cams that I'm going to shave down an make my own to mimic my KTM.  If that doesn't work...swap to KTM throttle and separate start button.   Reason is b/c when I switch back and forth between my KTM and Sherco my obstacle hopping timing gets all screwed up.  I'm not good enough to relearn how much throttle to turn with each bike.  I need some consistency. 
2021 Sherco 300 SE Factory
2020 Sherco 300 SEF Factory (Supermoto)
2019 KTM 250XC

DEL107

• Novice
    • View Profile
Re: 2021 300 SE throttle pull and upsizing sprockets
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 06:06:40 PM »
Have you tried the ODI Sherco cam and grip combo PN 470SCS? I have a set of ODI black Husqvarna open end ODIs and the cam sitting here but cant report yet as my bike isnt due in until late this week. I'm just praying it isnt a victim of that ice storm in Texas. If it made it out of there I should it have tested it by next week.

alang

• Vet
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 06:39:29 PM »
I like the S cam with ODI
Lock on grips.
2017 Sherco 300 2T Factory
2016 Aprilia Tuono 1100 Factory
2019 Santa Cruz Tallboy Carbon R
Azle, Texas

Sfade

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 03:59:30 AM »
I played with all of ODI's cams.  The "S" cam is for the 4 stroke--the only cam ODI makes specifically for the Sherco. It works with the 2 stroke but the throw is looooong....as it wasn't built with the 2 stroke in mind.  The "D" cam is a large linear cam but I couldn't get it to fit into the body without it binding.  If I trimmed it down some I think it would fit but would be too aggressive like the "cross" stock cam.  That's the one I'm going to file down to match my KTM cam. 

Side note, if someone's looking:  ZRT (zero turn throttle) makes a quick turn cam that fits ODI lockon grips (the one that about killed me in the gnar).  It's modeled off the the 2 stroke white cam in "cross" mode.  FYI with shipping that cam is going to cost you $34! 

Got my files and razors blades out and will be widdling some Derlin to make my own ODI Sherco 2T "linear standard" throw cam tonight. 
2019 KTM 250XC

DEL107

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2021, 06:24:28 AM »
Take some pics of your mods, I'll probably follow your path. I like a quick but not suicide throttle.   

Sfade

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2021, 05:58:51 AM »
I started working on cam by shaving the ODI D cam down bit have more work to do. Will finish as I have several ODI lockons I want to use. I did give the Cross cam another go...one where I wasnt riding all day with Enduro cam and then switching.  I just couldnt make the recalibration quick enough and about killed myself.  I did file the stock Cross cam just a hair to ease initial pull.  I rode it 3 days and adjusted to it 1st hour.  Its perfect.  13x50 with cross cam is right where I want it.  My brain reset to the shorter more aggressive throw.  I rode the hardest stuff I have ever ridden and it was magic. 
2019 KTM 250XC

DEL107

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2021, 06:09:26 PM »
Did you catch that Zero Resistance Throttle is making an ODI cam for our bikes? I think Mitch @ Hard Enduro Outfitters has them or you can buy direct.

I have one on the way but he is at Bike week so it won't ship for a week. I'll get pics up when I get it.

Sfade

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2021, 06:37:12 AM »
Yes, I did research and call them.  You end up paying like $40 for a cam after their shipping costs...which is crazy as ODI you get 4-5 cams and lock-on grips delivered for about $30.  Also, the cam they make is even a quicker turn than the faster "cross" cam config. in the stock throttle.  I definitely don't need it any faster...not with 13x50 at least.  I have a bunch of large ODI cams I can just cut down to match my liking...I'm just awaiting on my new dremel as my last one died while working on the cam.   
2019 KTM 250XC

JS_MO

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2021, 06:49:53 AM »
I ordered a ZRT cam. Isn't it just a copy of the OEM cam that clips on an ODI tube?

crappazppa

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2021, 09:01:05 AM »
I started working on cam by shaving the ODI D cam down bit have more work to do. Will finish as I have several ODI lockons I want to use. I did give the Cross cam another go...one where I wasnt riding all day with Enduro cam and then switching.  I just couldnt make the recalibration quick enough and about killed myself.  I did file the stock Cross cam just a hair to ease initial pull.  I rode it 3 days and adjusted to it 1st hour.  Its perfect.  13x50 with cross cam is right where I want it.  My brain reset to the shorter more aggressive throw.  I rode the hardest stuff I have ever ridden and it was magic.

Did the same myself since I ride the "quick" cam on my ktm.  It feels about right now and the sherco throttle cable is still a little long but with some adjustment at the throttle and at the carb I think it will be just about perfect.

DEL107

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2021, 04:05:03 PM »
I ordered a ZRT cam. Isn't it just a copy of the OEM cam that clips on an ODI tube?

Can't compare it until I get it. The ODI Sherco cam is useless on a two stroke, that I do have. If the ZRT is a replica of stock that works on the ODI tube, I'm cool with that. They do refer to it as quick throttle.

JS_MO

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2021, 10:22:27 AM »
I got an s-cam. It rubs on the cable, can stick wfo, and takes about 120degs to fully move the slide. I ordered the ZRT unit.

Sfade

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2021, 04:06:22 AM »
Yeah, the S cam is only for the 4T.  I tried it and the pull is loooong.  Please report back on that overpriced ZRT cam.  Kind of made me mad when he told me on the phone that they charge $12 for shipping.  A stamped envelope would do the trick on such a small item.  I called him out on it and he sorta played it off.  I guess its a peeve of mine when businesses try to make money on shipping charges.  I got my new dremel so I will finish my attempt at grinding down the D ODI cam into "cross" stock version. 
2019 KTM 250XC

JS_MO

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2021, 05:26:57 AM »
Ya I hear ya. 12$ probably leaves some profit for the guy. I'm usually too cheap to buy such a thing, but I watched a buddy a few weeks back take a helicopter ride from a stuck throttle. I figured I better fit something proper just for sanity sakes.

Sfade

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2021, 03:31:33 PM »
My ground down cam came out okay, but the radius is a little off and I don't care for the feel.

Sometimes you gotta pay the man and looks like I might have to cough up the dough to ZRT.  I have 3 sets of ODI EMIG grips new I really like.  Will probably have to swallow my pride to gain smiles on the trail.  Worth it I guess. 
2019 KTM 250XC