Author Topic: Review: Rekluse Torque Clutch Pack--21' 300 SE-F  (Read 561 times)

Sfade

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
    • Email
Review: Rekluse Torque Clutch Pack--21' 300 SE-F
« on: April 03, 2021, 05:50:48 AM »

Bottom line:  if you ride tech/enduro stick with your stock clutch.  If you ride GNCC/Hare/desert it could be beneficial. 

I ride tech/enduro mainly and it was a little bit of nightmare.  It is supposed to drag a little initially, but it drug something horrible the whole time.  I could climb a hill almost with the clutch pulled in....like a run away train.  I even moved my lever ALL the way out.  Starting in gear was just a joy ;)  I ate a lot of dirt the last two days trying to manage the bike. 

The torque and snap at lower throttle openings is insane.  My usual pivot turns turned into 360 pivots-not on purpose.  It feels like you have 12x60 gearing!  It is just too much torque down low.  I do have the ZRT throttle cam (same as stock cross cam but for ODI lockons) and 13x50 so already plenty of torque. 

Planning to call Rekluse on Mon about the horrible drag to see if that should have subsided, but beyond that I'm taking it off as it makes the bike a wild boar on meth. 

After I broke in the initial clutch I was actually very happy with it.  At first it felt funny like the engagement point was moving around.  I had already ordered the Rekluse by then.  I thought I should send it back but I was like what the hell, I'll have a back up stock when I burn through the Rekluse.  I should have returned it.
2021 Sherco 300 SE Factory
2020 Sherco 300 SEF Factory (Supermoto)
2019 KTM 250XC

DEL107

• Novice
    • View Profile
Re: Review: Rekluse Torque Clutch Pack--21' 300 SE-F
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2021, 06:37:02 AM »
My dealer told me that the swap by sherco from a 10mm master cylinder to 9mm has caused this drag. Even with the stock clutch pack I have it and, its messing my riding up a bit. I might convert back to 10mm to get the better disengagement

Sounds like the rekluse made it worse?

KTRacer14

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2021, 07:34:25 PM »
Take the stock stack of friction discs and metal plates and measure them with calipers.

Take the Rekluse stack of friction discs and metal plates and measure them with calipers.

You are going to find that the Rekluse stack is thicker.  This is the cause of the problem. 

Rekluse should be able remedy this issue with some thinner metal disks.  That should resolve the issue. 

Sfade

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 11:50:37 AM »
My dealer told me that the swap by sherco from a 10mm master cylinder to 9mm has caused this drag. Even with the stock clutch pack I have it and, its messing my riding up a bit. I might convert back to 10mm to get the better disengagement

Sounds like the rekluse made it worse?

I thought the drag was a non issue for the most part even with the 9mm.  I will say it did increase when I put the ARC levers on as it doesn't have the leverage ratio like the stock lever.  I wouldn't even call it drag with the Rekluse...it's basically in gear all the time. 
2019 KTM 250XC

Sfade

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2021, 11:55:26 AM »
Take the stock stack of friction discs and metal plates and measure them with calipers.

Take the Rekluse stack of friction discs and metal plates and measure them with calipers.

You are going to find that the Rekluse stack is thicker.  This is the cause of the problem. 

Rekluse should be able remedy this issue with some thinner metal disks.  That should resolve the issue.

Will do that.  At least that will make it usable.  Still not sure I will ever want to use it as it's too much torque...hence torq pack name I guess.  The shorter stack may smooth out the engagement???   We will see. 
2019 KTM 250XC

JS_MO

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2021, 12:02:49 PM »
Why did you buy a rekluse clutch pack so soon?

Sfade

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2021, 03:36:21 AM »
When I first got the bike the clutch felt funny to me.  I let it break in but the engagement point seemed to move around on me a bit.  Something felt off.  I heard about the Rekluse so I figured I would try it and have the stock as a back up.  Between order to receipt there was maybe 2 wks.  In that time the stock clutch got better and better and actually very happy with it.  I came very close to returning it the day I got it as I was now happy with stock.  I decided to just keep it and have a spare...unfortunately it is not what I'm looking for.  Sometimes experiments fail.
2019 KTM 250XC

KTRacer14

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2021, 12:15:45 AM »
Sfade,

Were you able to measure the disc stack ups yet? 

If you get the stack heights correct to match stock you may be surprised how much different the Rekluse stack behaves.

Sfade

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2021, 09:19:42 AM »
No, I haven't done it yet.  Will do next week.  Tired of taking the clutch in and out at this point and just wanted to ride.  The stock clutch is in and I'm happy.  Curious about that judderspring they had me install in the kit.  Stock didn't have one but Rekluse said to use the one supplied.  Will measure soon and call Rekluse.  I have a 3 day riding trip in about 4 days so maybe one evening when hanging out I will measure. 

Which leads me to another point.  The Sherco clutch cover gasket is garbage.  You have to be really careful and not let it unseat or you'll crush it and oil leak will ensue.  I ordered 2x orings but still waiting.  In the meantime I used 100% silicone and put a thin bead and let it cure.  Then put on and the seal is perfect.  Plan on sticking with this method as its much better than the orings Sherco uses. 
2019 KTM 250XC

Ud_Luz

• Novice
    • View Profile

Sfade

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2021, 12:11:52 PM »
Maybe it is but I already have a tube of silicone...so therefore it is better. 
2019 KTM 250XC

Sfade

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2021, 11:43:56 PM »
So I called Rekluse finally.  I measured the stack and it is on the tall side but within spec.  I'm taking the judder spring out to reduce height and give a go, but Rekluse tells me that it may cause a lot of undesired chatter.  If I don't like it they are going to send me a Rekluse made stock-type pack and a better slave cylinder as a replacement.  Wow, what a company!  That's customer service.  Going to give the sans judder spring a go, but will probably opt for stock type pack and slave cylinder instead. 
2019 KTM 250XC

KTRacer14

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2021, 05:18:55 PM »
How much taller was the stack?

Keep us informed on the results.  Sometimes with situations like this, it turns out that you were the first one to actually USE the product, and sometimes there are some teething pains that need to be worked out.  A good company will work it out, and that is how they dial in their products. 

Sfade

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2021, 10:59:00 AM »
33.6mm.  The max their instructions says is allowed.  Rode w/o judder spring.  Helped drag a little but a lot of chatter.  Going to have them send me the stock type pack and slave.  I dont care for the torq drive engagement properties anyway.  Rocking the stock pack no issues right now other than complete disengage is all the way in...probably due to weaker 9mm but the rekluse slave should help fix that. 
2019 KTM 250XC

Evh1

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2021, 07:31:22 PM »
I just received a new Rekluse clutch pack from the backordered last order. They sent a new slave cylinder with the clutch, as well as a new Rekluse clutch cover-gnarly...so that tells me they are thinking that cylinder the fix for this problem in this thread. I'm on a 2020 300 Factory and will report back when I get he unit installed. BTW, I run Rekluses on all my bikes...ktm790R, Husky 501S, Husky 300FE. Not having to think or worry about clutch operation just frees me to pick lines or brake points etc. No arm/finger pump and I'm just riding better with them. Love them...