Author Topic: Sherco 2021 WP explor issue  (Read 531 times)

Samsie

• Novice
    • View Profile
Re: Sherco 2021 WP explor issue
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2021, 12:41:50 PM »
So i just finished setting the race sag. but we can't get the static deflection ok.

So the bike on a stand is 65.8cm
The bike on the ground 61 cm
The bike with me ons it 56.1 Cm

So the race sag is 97mm
But the static deflection is 48mm and it should be 30mm.

Now i'm wondering what does the static deflection do? what is it's purpose?

Grtz

JL4049

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2021, 02:13:41 PM »
It means your spring rate is a bit high.
What you are looking for is an additional 70mm (plus or minus) sag with your weight added to the bike (from static sag). You only have 50mm. If you up the preload to get the static sag correct, then you'll likely only have 75mm (again, give or take) race sag. If you put springs in with a lower rate, you'll be able to preload it to get the sag correct and have the race sag where you want it. If your suspension is very harsh and you have to dial in heaps of rebound, this is probably the main reason. Putting the correct rate springs in is probably the best thing you can do for any suspension. Don't worry about changing valving until you've got the correct springs and had some time to dial in the damping.

LumberJeff

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2021, 03:18:31 PM »
What you are looking for is an additional 70mm (plus or minus) sag with your weight added to the bike (from static sag). You only have 50mm. If you up the preload to get the static sag correct, then you'll likely only have 75mm (again, give or take) race sag. If you put springs in with a lower rate, you'll be able to preload it to get the sag correct and have the race sag where you want it. If your suspension is very harsh and you have to dial in heaps of rebound, this is probably the main reason. Putting the correct rate springs in is probably the best thing you can do for any suspension. Don't worry about changing valving until you've got the correct springs and had some time to dial in the damping.
Well said. So many people dive into full suspension reworks & never just try riding it with proper springs first.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Samsie

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2021, 03:39:16 AM »

Thanks for the info! I called my sherco dealer and he said the static sag for a 2t from is ok 48 mm he followed lessons at reiger suspension so I donít really know what to do now

Edit: I was talking about the rear shock now the sag of it not the front forks donít know if we were on the same page because Iím a bit confused about the 70mm
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 04:59:18 AM by Samsie »

JL4049

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2021, 02:28:50 PM »
No Problem, Sorry if I've confused you even more lol. The 70mm is the difference between the static and race sag (30mm static - 100mm race). Ideally your race sag should be ~ 1/3 of total travel. Don't stress too much if you are a few mm off either way. Near enough really is good enough unless you are riding fast and at the top of the game. I prefer my bike to be sprung slightly softer (static sag 20-25mm, race sag 100-110) as I can back the rebound damping off a bit which makes it easier to transfer weight when riding over obstacles and it soaks up small rocks better (although it can get a little skittish at high speeds) If I'm on a track or a ride that's mostly high speed fire trails I just wind 3 or 4 more clicks of both compression and rebound in the forks with half a turn more high speed compression and 3 more clicks of rebound in the shock (low speed compression I leave where it is). That's what works for me with the KYB suspension.

Samsie

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2021, 10:40:07 PM »
No Problem, Sorry if I've confused you even more lol. The 70mm is the difference between the static and race sag (30mm static - 100mm race). Ideally your race sag should be ~ 1/3 of total travel. Don't stress too much if you are a few mm off either way. Near enough really is good enough unless you are riding fast and at the top of the game. I prefer my bike to be sprung slightly softer (static sag 20-25mm, race sag 100-110) as I can back the rebound damping off a bit which makes it easier to transfer weight when riding over obstacles and it soaks up small rocks better (although it can get a little skittish at high speeds) If I'm on a track or a ride that's mostly high speed fire trails I just wind 3 or 4 more clicks of both compression and rebound in the forks with half a turn more high speed compression and 3 more clicks of rebound in the shock (low speed compression I leave where it is). That's what works for me with the KYB suspension.

Oh ok now I get the 70mm haha. Weíll Iím gonna give this a try and see how it goes this weekend play with the suspension On a local single track and feel what it does. Thanks for the input Iím hoping to get the suspension to work how I want it to work! Iím not a pro rider far from so I wonít need everything out of it but I would love to find the sweet spot for it!

alang

• Vet
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2021, 07:40:01 PM »
JL4049 said it exactly correct.
I would change to softer rear spring
2017 Sherco 300 2T Factory
2016 Aprilia Tuono 1100 Factory
2019 Santa Cruz Tallboy Carbon R
Azle, Texas