Author Topic: 250/300 SEF vs 250 XC-F  (Read 556 times)

mack730

• Novice
    • View Profile
250/300 SEF vs 250 XC-F
« on: October 11, 2021, 05:50:59 AM »
Hey guys seeking some feedback from the sherco crowd. I'm looking to add a small bore 4t to the stable.

I had a '12 KTM 350 xcf-w a couple years back but was tired or riding that on the tight stuff (felt like a big fat pig and wore me out quickly) and wanted to get back to working on my fundamental so I picked up a ktm 150 xcw. I ride WA tight single track on the west side of the mountains, but recently started riding more in eastern WA (high desert) and some down in Oregon/California which is more open flat and some sand. There are also a couple spots where I need to transit and its brutal on the 150. I love the 150 and it isn't going away.

What I'm looking for is a similar small bore 2t experience but in a 4t package. I like lightness, nimble and enjoy having a lower hp motor that I have to work hard at. I don't mind clutching, needing to rev it out is fun and while I would like to shift a bit less, I do enjoy the feeling that I am actually riding the bike vs just throwing it in 2nd/3rd gear and forgetting about it. I am not looking for a lively 50+ hp motor here in a 260+ lb chassis.....I am 6'2" 195 lbs without gear.

This leads me to the sherco 250/300 sef. I want to try something other than old orange. The kyb would be interesting to ride vs WP. Nimble handling sounds great. The only thing that has be concerned is the weight. On paper it is 30 lbs heavier than the ktm 250 xcf which has me thinking that I'm just repeating the 350 experience as the 250/300 sef probably has similar hp and is close to it on weight.

I also don't find much info on the 250 vs 300 regarding hp/tq, everyone seems to default to the 300 which makes sense, but based on my desires, perhaps the 250 is actually the better choice for me (lower hp and need to rev)?
'22 Sherco 300 SEF

mack730

• Novice
    • View Profile
Re: 250/300 SEF vs 250 XC-F
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2021, 07:16:53 PM »
Well I bit the bullet and picked up a '22 300 SEF today. So far running it up and down the driveway, it feels very nice. Now to get some protection on it and get it out in the woods.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 07:50:51 PM by mack730 »
'22 Sherco 300 SEF

alang

• Vet
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2021, 06:08:19 PM »
Congrats, good looking bike.
2017 Sherco 300 2T Factory
2016 Aprilia Tuono 1100 Factory
2019 Santa Cruz Tallboy Carbon R
Azle, Texas

Trailrider383

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2021, 07:07:35 PM »
I like the color scheme. Although  I like the blue wheels on my 2020 300 SEF factory.

I love mine. I don't know how anyone could not like that bike. Amazingly capable and fun!

mack730

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2021, 09:45:20 PM »
Cross posting my initial thoughts from thumpertalk:

Initial thoughts after my first couple rides:

Overall, very happy with it. Glad I went with the 300, the 250 sef would have been too soft. There were a couple times I wished I had a touch more - perhaps that will come as it breaks in, but if it doesn't, I'm still 100% in love with it.

Mods I put on it: BPD radiator guards, TM Design skid plate, Cyra handguards, e-line exhaust guard, polisport clutch/ignition, fork shoe and swingarm protectors. Protaper evo KTM/Suzuki bars

Pros::

- Feels super light, agile and turns amazingly. Honestly, almost feels as light/nimble as my 150 which is crazy
- KYB's are awesome
- Frame feels narrow in a good way
- For how well it turns it is still amazingly planted at speed (got it up to 50ish on some fire roads)
- Power is smooth and has plenty of power to loft the front end when needed
- It just tractors on the bottom. You can really lug it and ride a gear high
- Doesn't stall much at all. Only times I have see it was a bit of bad clutching on my part. Don't think this will be an issue once I've got some more miles and get the cluch feel squared away.
- Fit and finish is great. No problems here. Wiring looks good
- Seat is really nice. Tons of grip and isn't a 2x4 so it is more than capable for long transits or just being lazy
- I love how it actually comes with almost all of the stuff you need: Spark arrestor, fan, skid (no linkage but oh well)
- I really like the titanium bluing on the exhaust
- 22' colorway/graphics look fantastic
- Its nice that the map switch actually does something. You can feel it. I do think it is only pulling timing on the mid/top. Down low it feels the same.

Cons:

- Foot pegs aren't for me. Flat angle doesn't feel natural for me, and at my height (6'2") my knees don't land in the best spot. Fixing those with my go to fastways in the low boy position.
- Computer has some light bleed which makes it look like the check engine light is on when its dusk/dark. Dealer was great about this, looked at a couple other 4t's he had in stock and they all have the same. Also checked it with his tool and no codes, so just an issue with the quality of the display.
- She's pretty thirsty. Not sure on the exact mileage I will get on a tank yet, but it definitely consumes more gas than any other bike I have had. This really isn't a big deal for me, but could be for some.
- Didn't care for the stock grips - but no biggie here. Put on my go to ODI lock-ons with the sherco cam 'S'. Ok now I'm just nitpicking 😛
- Battery under the air filter. Yeah that's going to get messy from filter oil dripping on it and while getting the seat off is super quick, getting a jump pack in there on the trail would be challenging if you needed to, and would require the air filter being removed on the trail. I do like how it is mounted low for center of gravity though.
- Clutch pull seems very similar to KTM 4t's. Compared it with a buddies '18 KTM 450 XCF and it felt the same. Mine has the 10mm bore. Yeah it is a touch heavier than my 150 with the 9mm, maybe if I care enough in the future I'll try a 9mm. I do really like the pull and engagement zone on my 150. 

Misc things that I read about that could help others who are researching

- Brake pedal sticks too far out: Not an issue on my '22. It is close enough to the clutch cover for me.
- Oil fill is too close to the exhaust. I believe they changed the header shape as this isn't a problem either.
- I don't have a problem getting the air filter in. The bolt goes in fine. The filter cage fits in the metal lip well. Yeah it isn't perfect, but I can't really see why people complain about this.
- Brakes feel good. Might have a touch less initial bite than a KTM but in my opinion I don't really care for that over the top initial bite anyways.
- Brittle plastics - not sure about this one, they feel fine to me. But I guess if I do crack some polisport makes replacements. So no biggie here.
- Bars are low for me at 6'2". Put on the KTM/Suzuki pro taper bars and it feels great.
'22 Sherco 300 SEF

cheeseberger

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2021, 05:18:30 PM »
Glad you like the bike.  On the 2 strokes you don't need to remove the air filter to jump or charge the battery.  There is a positive connection up above air filter and easy to find a ground too, so maybe the same on the 4 stroke.

cheeseberger