Author Topic: 60hrs and still sorting out ergos  (Read 585 times)

Sfade

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
    • Email
60hrs and still sorting out ergos
« on: October 11, 2021, 09:54:03 PM »
I'm working a night shift and its slow so....maybe this may help someone.  Once I put a low rise bar on my KTM 250XC and Flo lower pegs it fit me perfectly.  The Sherco 300 SE has been interesting and still adjusting.  If I didn't love the engine and suspension so much I would have sold it.   I'm 5.11 and 34.5 inseam so all legs.  The Sherco got Flo lower footpegs and Protaper KTM/Suz bars 92mm height and lowered forks to first line.  That's where I settled about hour 5 on the bike until now. 

It's been a while since I rode my KTM and the last two days I rode it and realized how much higher the front end is even with the low rise bar and raising the forks about 5mil past the last line.  On steep uphills the KTM feels too high but downhill its stable and not overly weighted bias on the front.  The Sherco is just the opposite.  Downhill it feels sketchy and too much weight on front.  Even flat terrain my weight is front bias.  I thought this was suspension dive/sag b/c I have it set so soft for the rough stuff, but think its the front height.  I took some measurements front center of front axle to top of triple clamp and from center footpeg to top of grips.  The KTM is 1.5" higher on both occasions.  That's even with 92mm higher bars and dropped forks on Sherco vs. KTM very low rise bar and raised forks.  If this was stock to stock it might be 2.5" which is a huge difference.  It can be adusted to fit about anyone, but this bike was made for the short legged or people 5.8 and below it seams. I have the fix to get a tad more height and will try later this week. 

Something to consider if you're  making the KTM to Sherco switch/owning both. 

2021 Sherco 300 SE Factory
2020 Sherco 300 SEF Factory (Supermoto)
2019 KTM 250XC

alang

• Vet
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 60hrs and still sorting out ergos
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2021, 05:01:59 AM »
I have 997 Twinwall bars.
I think 105mm height, and
Stock pegs. Same height as you.
2017 300 2T factory. And
I run phds bar mounts which
Are a little taller than stock.
2017 Sherco 300 2T Factory
2016 Aprilia Tuono 1100 Factory
2019 Santa Cruz Tallboy Carbon R
Azle, Texas

Sfade

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 60hrs and still sorting out ergos (finally sorted now)
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2021, 05:56:05 PM »
Hit the perfect spot and so happy with the result.  To think only a 5mm or so more height and 5mm less sweep would make such a difference.  I put on Fatbar 826 and cut to 31.25" (793mm).  I found that 31.25" bar width and 8-12 degree sweep is perfect for my build (elbow to wrist to shoulder alignment).  All 4 of my motorcycles and and both my mtbikes are fit this spec.  If you haven't spent some time figuring your own out you're doing your whole upper body a disservice. 
2019 KTM 250XC

jiar577

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2021, 10:35:05 AM »
Interesting this is mentioned as I went in the other direction with lower bars. I'm 5'11" too and installed a Proper Steering Damper Low handlebar which is basically a KTM stock bar but 25mm lower to compensate for the use of an underbar steering damper. As a matter of fact it looks identical to the stock Oxia bars on the '21 when comparing them side by side. Also installed Flo low pegs.

What I tried to achieve is sort of mimic the Astra Offroad proposition and I already had the Protapers so it was a no brainer (the Protapers are not as low as Astra's but it's really close in all dimensions). Yes the weight is biased towards the front & it took me a couple of rides for my back to adjust but I'm really liking the handling.
2021 Sherco 300se Factory
2015 KTM 300 Sixdays (sold)
2015 KTM 350 Sixdays

Sfade

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2021, 10:47:50 PM »
I'm disproportionately all legs and shorter torso and was not liking it....different strokes.  Funny, on my KTM I had to go complete opposite and use astra bars and raise the forks to get my weight forward enough, felt like a ADV bike it was so high.   
2019 KTM 250XC

Dangermouse

• Expert
  • Everything looks better when you're on a dirtbike
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2021, 10:39:22 PM »
I'm 5'11" and all I've done is drop on a set of CR High bend bars
(This was the same shape as the pre 19 Sherco Oxia bar)
The new flat bar is just no good for most people.
2019 300 SEF Factory
2011 TE449
Admin - Sherco Riders & Owners FB group
Just an old quick trail rider having a go.
From Qld Australia 🌏