Author Topic: Steering Damper on KYB equiped bikes  (Read 184 times)

TTBadDog

• Novice
    • View Profile
Steering Damper on KYB equiped bikes
« on: November 01, 2021, 04:05:50 AM »
Coming of various KTM 200' from 2003 forward with varying degrees of re-valved forks etc. On most of these, I have used my trusty Scotts over bar steering damper. On the KTM 200's it really helped.

It has been said they are a band-aid for poor setup but if suspension was good it only may have acted as an improvement or safety factor for unexpected loose rock or clipping a tree. Aside from the benefits the damper may provide when clipping a tree slightly does a stock valvied KYB equipped 250 SE have a need for a damper or would I just be moving over un-needed weight?
2022 250 SE Factory

JS_MO

• Novice
    • View Profile
Re: Steering Damper on KYB equiped bikes
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2021, 07:15:34 AM »
I wouldn't bother with one. I ran one for ten years on Yamaha's. Didn't like them on the Austrian bikes I've had and def would not put one on my Sherco. I don't think they help with clipping trees, actually I think they make it worse when you try to recover and it fights you. I do think they have their place in high speed applications. I'm a rocky woods guy so rarely am I going over 40 mph. The Sherco chassis really works well in the rocks, woods, roots etc. I'd spend that money on a proper revalve personally. I thought the stock suspension on my 21' factory was a tad harsh on rough trails. Beat me up in Missouri Hare scrambles until I had it revalved. Of course there's some fairly strong opinions on this subject, so others may have a perspective I do not.