Author Topic: 2022 250 SE- How to wake up the ECU??  (Read 162 times)

TTBadDog

• Novice
    • View Profile
2022 250 SE- How to wake up the ECU??
« on: November 21, 2021, 05:38:31 AM »
Unable to Bump Start my 2022 250 SE. Coming off 17 years of various KTM 200's which bump start very easy I was puzzled at first. Rolling down hill in any gear and traction it simply would not start. I finally figured out that the ECU is not alive until you hit the button. With the location of the button and when the clutch is slightly dragging this is not easy to do. Also don't really want an attempt nudge of the starter when tranny/clutch is trying to spin the gears, probably not good to engage a starter even momentarily against turning stuff inside. Often you need to roll in neutral to get some speed then catch second before planting azz onto seat with throttle blip for a moment of traction. Attempting to co-ordinate all that whilst sliding down a hill and attempting to blip the starter switch is cumbersome at best. Maybe I am just being picky and or a starter button relocation to left bar is in order but I find it easier to sometimes just bump start, for instance I partially engage clutch and rear brake to help keep rear wheel spinning at set speed with varying traction. If you catch too little traction or bump brake too hard may stall, just pull clutch in and bump to restart.  Regardless if one were to have a failed starter, weak battery etc. a simple (just like all our old school bikes) bump start would be best.

OK reasons aside, how do I wake up the ECU for a set period of time? With a wiring diagram and or theory of ops could the ECU be woke long enough to bump start. Is the ECU woke up by 12v when the start button is hit AND the engine starts in X seconds, how does it determine when to shut off?   Need to know more about how the system operates. I suspect if you woke up the ECU the fan (if called for) would run. I think the BEST solution would be to find a way to wake the ECU when front wheel motion is detected by trip computer system. Many other methods would work as well and there could be options but first I need to know how to wake it up and how it determines when to shut itself down.

Wondering how the setup varies from some of the KTM setups, my last KTM was E-start and Kickstart. You did NOT have to do anything to wake the ECU or whatever. just kick it.
2022 250 SE Factory

JL4049

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 2022 250 SE- How to wake up the ECU??
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2021, 01:11:25 PM »
You should be alright if you get rolling in neutral, thumb the button just before you clutch in and kick it into gear. The button wakes the ecu for approx 30 seconds, so if you complete the rest of the bump start within that time you should be jake.

mt9292

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2021, 02:58:12 AM »
I have a 2022 SE300 Factory and mine goes to sleep within 5-8 seconds after the engine stops. Is there a way to extend this time?

TTBadDog

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2021, 04:23:39 AM »
We need the schematics for a way to temp wake it up. I bet a FW flash could extend the time, perhaps the ECU falling out after 5 to 8 seconds is to preserve battery as the cooling fan cuts off after 5 to 8 if was on after engine is stopped. If I stall while dragging brake down a hill I would prefer to just stab the clutch and bump start. Other times I will stall engine on purpose by hitting Kill or stabbing  brake prior to an off camber where I may have to dab right foot, use the clutch and dead engne as a Left Hand Rear brake. Perhaps stopped for a sec to wipe goggles or chat with a rider, if on a hill just bump it and go. Think of how many starter cycles could be avoided over the course of a season. Starters do wear out and this could extend the starter life.
This is likely a situation where the FW developer did not consider all the options or get input back from the riders. Again, my KTM 200 with E-start will start ANY time you bump it or kick. Nothing to wake up.
I wonder how we get ahold of someone back at HQ to inquire about a change to the FW?
2022 250 SE Factory