Author Topic: 21' 300 SE: All the mods I have tried and what worked/didn't work  (Read 479 times)

Sfade

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
    • Email
First, the bike needs no mods (except maybe ergo adjustments as required). I did them all because I and I enjoy the process of experimenting. 

-Ergos:  Fatbar w/ 95mm rise, Flo lowering pegs (tapped and filed flat button head screw to get some upward camber), and low seat -- worth every penny
-Mako 360:  worth it
-STIC metering block:  worth it but not worth it...only benefit is self compensating for alt/temp as stock Keihin w/ JD runs perfect
-FMF Factory pipe:  prefer it's powercurve but is weak and crushes easy--not worth it
-P3 carbon pipe guard:  worth it, would have saved me from being on 3rd pipe if initially bought
-ODI compatible Throttle cam (brand??):  worth it to use lock ons
-Racetech stiffer springs:  not worth it/too stiff (chasing more hold up)
-Racetech preload spacers:  worth it--3mm washers achieved some hold up
-49 and 50 teeth sprockets:  worth it
-AXP full skid plate:  extremely worth it
-BP designs Rr disc guard:  worth it
-S3 low compression head:  worth/not worth it.  There are a few instances in a days ride when lugging at the limit I feel it working better, but stock head is just fine
-Gummy Rear:  extremely worth it (JX8 or VE33S)
-Tubliss: always and issue with it...not worth it
-UHD tubes IRC/Tusk:  never a pinch flat evern at the lowest pressures--worth it
-MotionPro double rim locks:  must have for low pressure--worth it
-2x lighter clutch springs: extremely worth it to lower lever pull
-Rekluse slave:  worth it to increase clutch plate tension release
-Bigger Rr brake tip:  worth it for ease of use
-Arc Merlon Levers/folding:  not worth it (now that I am in full wraps)
-EE full wraps:  worth it
2021 Sherco 300 SE Factory
2020 Sherco 300 SEF Factory (Supermoto)
2019 KTM 250XC

alang

• Vet
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 21' 300 SE: All the mods I have tried and what worked/didn't work
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2021, 01:33:22 PM »
I like how you did that.
I had to get 114 link chain
To run a 50 rear.  I added
A EE linkage guard to stock
This is on a 22 300factory.
Skid plate. Put in N8RG needle.
2022 Sherco 300 2T Factory
2016 Aprilia Tuono 1100 Factory
2019 Santa Cruz Tallboy Carbon R
Azle, Texas

TTBadDog

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2021, 02:07:53 AM »
Good to see some useful feedback on mods. I am soon adding a SmartCarb for the temp, altitude and low rpm benefits. Will post results but it will be a bit as I am going to give my ACL a week to heal up a  bit, oops.  I added the Midwest lever, primarily for the ability to get a true 2 finger lever. I may have friend machine a stock lever down for me instead. The engememet zone seems too wide. It is very easy to slip it just a bit on a tough second gear climb when you should be in first. I prefer second for the smoother power delivery and ability to build speed without an upshift.

I have a 22 250 SE coming off years of 200's. With that said I expect to have to use the clutch some, giving up a bit of lugging on the 250 but have more over rev free spin up. I may add a RK Tec head to improve bottom and rev but looking for feedback first.

Everyone has their reasons for doing mods, as you said the bike really needed nothing but I like to "personalize". I suppose the STIC metering block could deliver some of the benefits at least on bottom that the SC2 does but for a little more money the whole sheebang can be bout wit the SC2. Resale on the SC2 would be higher than the STIC or I could sell the Keihin to recover a portion of the SC2 purchase. A fresh Keihin that has not even been dirty yet should bring a good price. I hope to improve the bottom just enough to perhaps move to a 48 or 49 rear to lengthen 1st gear. The 250's come with 13/50 not 13/48.

What was the reasoning behind the Rekluse slave? How does it differ from the stock setup and what benefits or operational difference is there? Is it lighter pull or more/less throw?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2021, 02:12:13 AM by TTBadDog »
2022 250 SE Factory

Sfade

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2021, 09:27:41 AM »
My experiences obviously will be different than others with any mod.

If I had to do it over I would have gone SC2 vs. STIC.  I had such a great experience on my KTM 250. It made the 250 almost as luggy as a 300...insane improvement. The carb is such on an angle on the Sherco that fuel leaks out way more than you think while riding steep up/downs...not to mention self adjusting.  SC2 is just a better mousetrap.

The Rekluse slave was a gift from Rekluse along with a Honda clutch pack that works with the Sherco as I  was unhappy with their torq clutch pack.  I forgot that attempted mod....Rekluse torque drive pack.  It was awful.  Would be awesome if I rode motocross though.  Their slave has a better spring and noticed it released the plates better and grew my engagement zone and helped with my modulation.  Would I go out and buy it?  Prob not but it works and Rekluse has awesome customer service and really took care of me. 
2019 KTM 250XC

TTBadDog

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2021, 07:30:20 AM »
Thanks for the feedback on the slave. I did read about your experience with the the Torqdrive. I was going to go that route but I see it would have been a mistake. I will be contacting Rekluse about the Honda plates. I want to get a spare clutch pack for my spares kit. I figure I could replace the stock as it is basically new and wear out the Honda plates. This would give me a back to back comparison so I know which way to go for next replacement. I suspect the Honda plates are going be less costly. I am hard on a clutch. I will use second whenever possible on climbs and just cluith may way out if I start running low on power/rpm.

I rode Christmas eve day and made a point to attempt some steep good traction climbs that do require first gear. I took them in second and made note of how far I could get before lugging to a stop. Repeated several times and then tried clutching up the rest of the way in second. Possible but very hard to do. When I instal the SC2 will repeat and report.
2022 250 SE Factory

Sfade

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2021, 06:28:51 AM »
I believe Rekluse makes their own Sherco clutch pack now, standard NOT Torq Drive. 

Are you running stock gearing?  I have some thoughts/experiences, but your riding style/area/elevation/avg speeds will dictate.  I went to 50t rear when I installed the STIC within the first 5hrs of owning.  I adapted but started chasing more controllable onset of power with lighter clutch springs and different throttle cams.  Helped, but still so much at times it tries to rip my arms off.  Threw on a fatty pipe (i needed a new pipe) at the same time dropping to 49t (should have done each on its own) and felt too soft.  50t back on with fatty and bike felt great.  Ripped giant hole in fatty and back to another gnarly pipe...and back came the hit and more arm pump.  Put on 49t again w/ gnarly.  1st is useable 2nd is longer which helps.  More control and no arm pump and all the power.  Sometimes you chase your tail trying to do too many things.  Finally after 80hrs on engine found the sweet spot I have been looking for.  Will save my 50t for when I get up in elevation. 
2019 KTM 250XC

TTBadDog

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2021, 04:54:19 AM »
Yes, 48,49,50 is terrain, riding style, and bodyweight thing. This along with mods dictate your choice. I have the 250 which came with 50T rear, presumably to give similar last breath chugging similar to the 300 which came with 48T. Just a guess on my part. I hope with the SC2 I can switch to a 48 or 49 to extend the pull in 1st OR just use second and a bit more clutching.

My terrain is very steep with varied traction, I weigh 160 after a bowl of ice cream and 2 beers so I don't need a lot of power, just good clutch skills!
2022 250 SE Factory