Author Topic: 290 X-Ride  (Read 77174 times)

rosco

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • ROSCOSMOTORCYCLE.COM
    • Email
290 X-Ride
« on: June 11, 2013, 07:58:04 AM »
Sold one of these the other day.  Finally got to ride one.  Wow what a fun little bike.  Starts & runs great right out of the creight.  You have to give a pretty good positive pull on the shifter from 1st to 2nd, but other than that the shifting seems pretty smooth.  The customer just informed me that he is averaging somewhere between 35-40 mpg.  But he says that he is pretty easy on the throttle. 
 The only problem so far is the battery display on the meter assembly keeps flashing.  The customer tried a new battery but that didn't seem to help.  He says that all the other display's seem to be working fine other than the battery ind.  If someone has some advice on this it would be greatly appreciated.
 Well I have another one of these on order.  I think once a few of these get out there and people start realizing how fun and easy to ride these bikes are, they will be an easy sale.
 I guess my only complaint is that they do not have a forest approved sparky on them.  So if anyone has any info on that I would appreciate it as well.  Thanks!  Ross
Rosco's Motorcycle & Atv
1125 Kennel Dr.
Rapid City, SD.  57703
605-348-3946

Bob Billyard

Re: 290 X-Ride
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 06:08:12 AM »
here"'s a video of the Scorpa T ride which is the same bike - enjoy

Scorpa T-Ride

john01

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 07:30:04 AM »
Wow that guy can RIDE!  So the T-Ride and the Sherco X-Ride are the same bikes?  If so which company makes them?  Thanks.

mootak

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Taskys Metric Cycle
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 02:34:51 PM »
My X Ride customer Dutch is loving his bike. He has told me that he has been looking for this bike for the last 30 years. It is keeping him riding at 70 + years old. He took first place in the Legends class at our Desert 100 race.  (see trophy pic below)  Said he had fuel to spare after a 50 mile lap.
 Dutch likes to make "improvements" to his bike to survive his wet muddy riding area here in Wa. State.
He has sent me several e-mails and asked me to forward them to the Sherco community.

Here is e-mail #1

June 10, 2013

Jeff,

This Sherco X-Ride could be the best entry level dirt bike ever made if a few simple mods are made at the factory.  I am more comfortable on this bike than I ever have been in my over 50 years of off road riding.
A new rider could learn on this bike and take the same bike up to serious competition in enduros.  But the problems with the way it is stock will be barriers to sales.

It comes stock with an open hole in the bottom of the air box which allows dirt to be sucked directly into the carb.  I cured that problem with and small piece of gorilla tape.

The rear tire throws dirt, mud and pebbles past the expansion chamber into the air filter. I cured that problem with a small aluminum plate taped to the frame in front of the expansion chamber and more tape closing the gaps between the rear fender ant the frame.

The rear tire also throws mud into the expansion chamber which comes with no spark arrestor.  I cured that with a US Forest Service approved spark arrester made for Volkswagens. 

The front tire throws mud directly onto the radiator.  I cured that problem with a curved piece of plastic mounted below the radiator shroud and another piece of plastic closing the vent holes in the front fender.

Both tires load the rider with dirt and mud from helmet to knees both front and rear.  I have reduced the problem with a plastic piece added to the top of the rear fender but have not yet dealt with the front fender.
It needs something to deflect the dirt spin off from the front tire to stop it from being thrown back into your face and chest when you are moving.

In spite of these irritations I absolutely love this bike.  I want to buy two more for use in my American Legion Dirt Bike Troop Support operation.  Unfortunately these problems with the current set up will be a hindrance to fund raising for this purpose.

I have attached photos of the mods I have made which have enabled me to finish three local enduros as well as win my class in the Desert 100 race this year on this bike.

Dutch

Here is e-mail #2

6-12-13

Jeff,

Attached are more pictures of the mods I had to make to the Sherco X Ride to deal with the problems caused by the present  factory set up.  If Sherco would make some type of "mud kit" that could be set in place and held down by the seat and tank, easily attached to the front and rear fenders and below the radiator shroud I believe they would overcome customer resistance to buying the bike in its present from.

The picture showing the simple aluminum baffle plate I made to go between the expansion chamber and the air box also shows a plastic air intake baffle I experimented with but ended up not needing.

I am also using a simple plastic baffle that sits in front of the air box and held in place by the gas tank to stop splash from getting to the top of the air intake.  I don't have a picture of it but will take one if you want it. It is just a piece cut from a gallon water jug.

The riding vest shows how the present set up loads the rider with mud and the filter shows how mud was reaching it before I made the mods. This will create buyer resistance if not corrected.

The picture showing the mud build up around the radiator does not show how clean the radiator itself is because of the baffles I made to protect it. Very little mud gets to the radiator.

I think the other pictures are self explanatory.  Any questions?

I can only repeat how happy I am with this bike in spite of the problems with the present factory set up.  Rolling the throttle on is like having an electric motor in the frame.  It is all torque put to the ground no matter what gear you are in.  When you snap the throttle open you get instant power. The light weight and quick steering make this the best woods bike I have ever owned.

Please give this feed back to Sherco.

Dutch

Trophy time!

Rear fender mud splash eliminator

Radiator splash guard

Splash guard

[

Splash guard installed

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/mootak/media/TSBXmodsamptroops033.jpg.html]

Air filter before he installed his airbox splash guard

Later,
Jeff Tasky
Taskys Metric Cycle

« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 02:38:41 PM by mootak »
Later,
 Jeff Tasky

john01

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 06:29:17 AM »
Great feedback.  Thanks for sharing.  Next time you talk to Dutch tell him congrats on his win and thanks for sharing; I like to mod my toys too.

MOTO VITA

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 03:40:24 PM »
 I just joined this forum. I have a T Ride (Yamaha engine) and am interested in the X Ride as it appears to be the same chassis. Does anyone know the differences other than the power plant?
 My bike came with absurdly stiff fork springs, like street bike springs. I need to figure out some replacements but don't know what rate I have. Has anyone here felt the need to change fork springs? Are X Ride riders happy with their stock suspension?
 I'm in WA, USA and I've sent a message to Dutch (above) via Tasky's Cycle (who directed me here) looking for input.
  I'll subscribe here and see what I can learn.
 Thanks
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 03:46:24 PM by MOTO VITA »

rosco

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • ROSCOSMOTORCYCLE.COM
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 11:12:37 AM »
The suspension on the X-ride seems to be real plush.  More of a trials bike feel to it.  Does your T-ride have the yamaha WR250F motor in it?  I haven't rode one of those yet but a customer of mine bought a Scorpa 250F Long ride from me back in 07.  The suspension felt good on it but again it was a trials bike.  I would guess that it would just be a matter of getting the correct weight of springs in it.
Rosco's Motorcycle & Atv
1125 Kennel Dr.
Rapid City, SD.  57703
605-348-3946

MOTO VITA

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 08:36:43 AM »
 Yes it's a WR250F.
 I expect you are correct about just getting the right spring rate. Problem is I don't know what the existing spring rate is or what the right spring rate would be. I hope to see an X-ride. If the springs feel noticeably softer than mine I could order the X-Ride springs.

MotoC

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Moto Connection
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 08:52:31 AM »
I meant to say something about this a long time ago, but somehow forgot.......I noticed that the X-Rides are coming thru a little lean on the jetting - especially if you are in the northeastern USA.  On the trials side of Sherco we usually run a one size larger pilot jet on those Dellorto's than what the X-Rides are coming thru with.  If you leave it stock on the X-Ride, it makes the idle hunt (lean) even with the FUEL screw all the way out (5 turns max).  I recommend jumping up one size on the pilot if you have one of these bikes or see that problem.  It will be much easier to ride and putt around on (trials style), plus it will start up a little better when cold and come off choke sooner too.  Here in the US - Clay might have some jets, or if not - then try the US importer for Dellorto -  http://www.herdan.com  in PA.  I have a few various jets too if you are in a jam.....

Someone somewhere mentioned about oil/gas mixtures and drooling oil out the exhaust.  I think the manual for the X-Ride says 50:1 or maybe 2% (same thing I think) - but like someone else mentioned - you are better off running 70:1 or so unless you really ride hard and fast all day.  We run 80:1 on the same motor in the Sherco trials bike with never any problems.  The other thing I usually do with those bikes is go for an Iridium version of the NGK plug - that makes them start easier too, plus less chance of ever fouling (usually not a problem).  For the trials application its a NGK BPR5EIX - but I need to check and see if that is the same cross-over for the X-Ride stock plug....
Scott Armstrong
Moto Connection
Vermont/USA
802-524-7777

Dan

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 07:18:53 AM »
Just returned from early morning ride in the hills along the Yellowstone River. The suggestion to use an Iridium plug was super. Starting improved a bunch. I still had 50:1 mix in the tank but will change to 70:1 and expect to find additional improvement. This bike has extended my years of riding (age 74 and 5'7") by lower seat ht and other super ergonomics as well as engine characteristics. I miss my 520 KTM's electric start but that's all I miss. The NGK stock number for BPR5EIX is 6597 and I bought mine from NAPA for about $6.50.
Dan
Billings, MT
2013 290 X-Ride

benhanson

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 08:07:58 PM »
We picked up an x ride the other day for use as a goat trail motorcycle for my girlfriend. I have been going through it and wish I had paid more attention to the observations that Dutch made. There is indeed a hole on the engine side of the air filter. We took the bike for a short spin the day we picked it up and I sure wish we hadn't. I pulled the air filter today and found a lot of dust that had been sucked through the hole. Dust had also been sucked through the carb and into the engine. Not very good.  I plugged the hole with an automotive grommet that I had. Be warned that plugging that hole should be done first before the bike is ridden.

kkim

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
2012 Sherco X-Ride, 2007 CRF230F converted for D/S, 2015 Beta Xtrainer 300

Michael

• Junior
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 03:43:15 PM »
Hi Guys,

I am new to the site... Just bought a 2014 X-Ride today I traded in my 2006 GG EC200, 1987 TLR 200, and 2004 CRF50. I was able to get it street plated here in Nova Scotia but given the amount of ice and salt on the roads it will be a bit before I get it out for a ride. Still have my GG 200 trials bike for "real" trials riding but looking forward to some fun trail riding with my son :).

I have asked the dealer to change the main jet, plug the air filter hole, and change the spark plug. I also got him to take it apart and make sure everything was well lubricated - can never be to careful. It is my 10th bike but my first brand new bike - great way to celebrate my Birthday :D 
2015 ST250
2014, 290 X-Ride - street legal :).

Nova Scotia Canada

john01

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2014, 07:29:10 PM »
Congrats and welcome to the site.  Look forward to your ride report.

P A Rider

• Junior
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2014, 05:52:19 PM »
Mike I bought an X ride last year from Moto Connection and it is a blast ! Could end up being one of my most used bikes I own , because everyone that rides it loves it , me most of all . I wish you lots of smiles ! :)
If I had all the money I spent on dirt bikes , I would spend it on dirt bikes!
Easton Pa. USA