Author Topic: 290 X-Ride  (Read 80379 times)

Michael

• Junior
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 290 X-Ride
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2014, 06:52:25 PM »
Hopefully we will get a bit of a thaw so I can get it out :).

I raced my EC200 in a hare scramble 2 years ago and realized I am no racer... but I am pretty good at crashing and getting up and just keep going. I think the X-Ride will be more fun for that sort of thing. I also organize all the local trials events so it should be good as a work bike and I can even nip people around on the back between sections if need be. I think the thing I am most looking forward to is riding it to work and being able to do some trials practice in the parking lot at lunch time :). Of course trail riding with my son is always a blast I'm guessing we will be trading bikes back and forth a fair bit as he is 15 so his CRF100 is getting a little small for him (but it is still a really fun little bike).

Any hints or tips on the bike would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Michael
2015 ST250
2014, 290 X-Ride - street legal :).

Nova Scotia Canada

P A Rider

• Junior
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2014, 02:39:14 AM »
It is going to be spring here real soon and I will finally get a chance to really ride my bikes also !
If I had all the money I spent on dirt bikes , I would spend it on dirt bikes!
Easton Pa. USA

Michael

• Junior
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2014, 01:52:58 PM »
That is what the ground hog said here as well - but I'm not seeing it -  ;D
2015 ST250

Nova Scotia Canada

P A Rider

• Junior
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2014, 06:48:15 PM »
Got the X Ride on the work stand today to do the needed mods . I will let you know if I find anything  you should look for on your new bike .  ;)
Easton Pa. USA

Michael

• Junior
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2014, 06:44:00 PM »

Well finally got off work early enough to get to RPM today... to much salt to drive it home so tossed it on the trailer.

I unloaded it and figured I would give it a gentle warm up... after many kicks I lent it over till a bit of gas leaked from the carburetor... lots more kicks - head scratching... Call Barry to see if there are any tricks to it - nope but he had only put a little bit of gas in it - off to the gas station and supper... fuel up the bike - started first kick - Doh!

Really light bike at only 92kg you really notice it when moving it around. I only putted around a bit I was super happy with how comfortable it was and the 290 seemed really smooth. Looking forward to getting it out for a trail ride.

I had the dealer look at the hole, in the air box as per Dutch's comments but the 2014 apparently has a "squeegee thing" that should keep the dirt out and let the water drain. The jetting seemed ok but will check it after a bit of riding. Will be taking it to our indoor trials event next weekend 3 days of competition but will just be farting around showing off the X-Ride
for the crowds and actually competing with my GG trials bike [:D]     

2015 ST250

Nova Scotia Canada

Michael

• Junior
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2014, 02:04:37 PM »
Having great fun at the indoor event this weekend...

2015 ST250

Nova Scotia Canada

Michael

• Junior
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2014, 06:13:18 PM »
Got back from Bermuda and couldn't wait any longer. I figured the rain had taken care of most of the salt... time to get out for a ride. I rode out Waverly road without going over 1/4 throttle or so. never had a 5 speed before so it will take a get a bit of getting used to not having the extra gear at the top but it really chugged along nicely at the speed limit.

Once I got off road I found the bike was much more manageable than the EC was and having a seat was a nice bonus compared to the TXT. I really enjoyed the weight and the size of the bike. I played a bit in the pit and then took a rip up the pipeline.

after that I played around in the training spot and quickly realized that I was way over dressed for trials practice

Wishful thinking I can't even hop it on the TXT yet but figured it was worth a picture...

Unfortunately  things didn't go well on the way home I was just cruising along and all of a sudden the bike decided to stop running. I had to get a picked up and trailer the bike home. I really appreciated the KLR driver who stopped to see if I was alright and offer assistance.

Hopefully it is something simple to fix as all in all (up to the point it stopped) it was an awesome ride.
2015 ST250

Nova Scotia Canada

Michael

• Junior
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2014, 04:35:17 AM »
Took the X-ride for a longer ride today with no issues. The local dealer (RPM) said there was a kink in one of the engine vent lines but it shouldn't have had any effect on the bike seemingly "running out of gas" fuel was flowing both "on" and "reserve". It is possible that it was a little bit of dirt in the carb but nothing was found on inspection of the carb and all is good now.   :) :) :)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 12:33:04 PM by Michael »
2015 ST250

Nova Scotia Canada

P A Rider

• Junior
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2014, 04:49:56 PM »
So I added a set of Tubeless Inserts today and a good nobby on the front now I need to go ride her ! :P
Easton Pa. USA

rosco

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • ROSCOSMOTORCYCLE.COM
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2014, 10:54:42 PM »
I still have a 2013 here on the floor.  Someone needs to buy this thing before I decide to keep it for myself.  I want to take it up in the hills here and see what I can climb with it.  I can just tell this thing would be a goat up in the hills. 
Rosco's Motorcycle & Atv
1125 Kennel Dr.
Rapid City, SD.  57703
605-348-3946

Boom Boom

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2014, 05:40:00 AM »
I added a X-ride to my toy collection this past weekend.
As said by many above I can see it becoming a "go to" bike for those billy goat trail rides and perfect for getting noobs started out on a dirt bike.
Carlisle Pa
2016 Sherco 300 SE-R
2016 Scorpa 300 Factory
Bultaco 350 199b

david.bergen

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2014, 01:23:05 AM »
So I added a set of Tubeless Inserts today and a good nobby on the front now I need to go ride her ! :P

Can you compare the riding with a smaller endurobike ( 125 cc)
What do you like the most on the bike?
Husky wr 125 (2013)
Ajp pr4 (2014)
Beta xtrainer 300 (2015-2016)
Beta rr 250 racing (2016-2017)
Belgium

Boom Boom

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2014, 04:28:08 AM »

Can you compare the riding with a smaller endurobike ( 125 cc)
What do you like the most on the bike?

A 125 enduro is still a full sized bike that you need to ride aggressive to keep in the power band.
The X-ride is more like a trials bike with a comfortable seat that has a little more rake to the front so not as twitchy at speed like a trials bike but not as good as a enduro at speed.
The standing riding position is very comfortable and neutral, pegs are not back in a aggressive position like the trials bike.
The seating height is low enough that riding aggressive sitting is not good and sitting to standing position will give your legs a work out. I ride mine standing the majority of the time and sitting is only for resting or if needing to dog paddle thru nasty conditions. The tranny spacing is trials gearing and 5 speed same as the trials bike, they just stepped up the overall ratio with smaller rear sprocket.
This is not a push it hard like a enduro bike but for trail riding in general it is perfect.
Being a trials engine you have no power valve so the engine has no hit, just a bunch of grunt and RPM winds up slow and even. Most would find it boring but if riding conditions are on the more challenging side and some foot work is needed it sure is nice not picking your bike up from a dirt nap just because you cant get your footing.
Having the center mounted radiator and fan like the trials bike (only larger) no issues with taking a radiator out if you do take a side hit and you can idle or crawl along all day and never have a heating issue because you have the fan. Love mine for doing work like marking loop for an event or just start and stop riding trimming back face slappers. Stalling is not an issue...it is a trials engine and will grunt down and start with just letting the clutch out and minimal throttle.
For as light as the suspension is I find it works just fine to hoss my 250lb fat ass around.
The tires on the bike are crap...throw a quality knob on the front and a proper trials radial on the back and it is unstoppable.
It kicks hard like a trials bike does, this is the only negative for smaller young riders or say most women.
A proper enduro geared 6 speed tranny would be great but that would require a complete different engine.
The 290 trials engine is a proven trials engine and silly simple.
Hope my ramble helped answer your question.
Carlisle Pa
2016 Sherco 300 SE-R
2016 Scorpa 300 Factory
Bultaco 350 199b

david.bergen

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2014, 05:25:25 AM »
Boom boom,
Thank you for the info. That's what I am looking for.
Husky wr 125 (2013)
Ajp pr4 (2014)
Beta xtrainer 300 (2015-2016)
Beta rr 250 racing (2016-2017)
Belgium

Fasteer

• Junior
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2014, 02:46:46 PM »

It kicks hard like a trials bike does, this is the only negative for smaller young riders or say most women.

you mean it is difficult to kick start?  Takes a big effort or doesn't want to fire?
2014 SEF300 Factory
Calgary, AB, Canada