Author Topic: 290 X-Ride  (Read 80134 times)

Clay

• Global Moderator
  • Vet
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 290 X-Ride
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2014, 04:03:57 PM »
It fires fine but has quite a bit of compression.
Clay Stuckey
Sherco Offroad  www.shercooffroad.com
email: clay@shercooffroad.com
cell: 615 347 6519
Tennessee, USA

Fasteer

• Junior
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2014, 05:40:32 PM »
Has anybody solved the spark arrestor issue?
Would something like this work?
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/905/23208/Pro-Moto-Billet-Endos-Spark-Arrestor-End-Cap?term=usfs spark arrestor
2014 SEF300 Factory
Calgary, AB, Canada

weantright

• Vet
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2014, 05:45:54 AM »
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/905/23208/Pro-Moto-Billet-Endos-Spark-Arrestor-End-Cap?term=usfs spark arrestor

Depends on where you live and how the ranger/inspector is. It needs to have "US Forest approved arrester" stamped on it for 100% legal and most likely that end cap will not fit the Sherco. Modifying it will work and if keeping the stamped markings visible is the next best thing. Where I ride I have never seen anyone poke or look for one. I have built several from Home Depo sink drain screen for $5. Make sure it's the SS one and pinch it between the end cap and internal tube.

https://www.plumbingsupply.com/stainlessscreenstrainers.html
2017 6 days 300sef-r w/DalSoggio and flow (Stolen), 2016 XTrainer w/Rekluse & KYB's, 2014 Husky FE250
Ohio, USA

Clay

• Global Moderator
  • Vet
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2014, 05:45:50 PM »

Depends on where you live and how the ranger/inspector is. It needs to have "US Forest approved arrester" stamped on it for 100% legal and most likely that end cap will not fit the Sherco. Modifying it will work and if keeping the stamped markings visible is the next best thing. Where I ride I have never seen anyone poke or look for one. I have built several from Home Depo sink drain screen for $5. Make sure it's the SS one and pinch it between the end cap and internal tube.

https://www.plumbingsupply.com/stainlessscreenstrainers.html

The level of ingenuity in the dirt bike world never ceases to amaze me! 
Clay Stuckey
Sherco Offroad  www.shercooffroad.com
email: clay@shercooffroad.com
cell: 615 347 6519
Tennessee, USA

Fasteer

• Junior
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2014, 06:41:52 PM »
yup, that's genius.
2014 SEF300 Factory
Calgary, AB, Canada

Boom Boom

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2014, 06:19:40 PM »
http://www.lewisportusa.com/parts_muffler.htm

Check out the S/A that Lewisport has. The one listed for a 4RT should work and has the USFS stamp. Bit expensive but if you need the USFS stamp not many options.
Carlisle Pa
2016 Sherco 300 SE-R
2016 Scorpa 300 Factory
Bultaco 350 199b

Michael

• Junior
    • View Profile
    • Email
2015 ST250
2014, 290 X-Ride - street legal :).

Nova Scotia Canada

Fasteer

• Junior
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2014, 07:45:40 PM »
My friendly dealer let me take the X Ride for a short spin around the parking lot.
I like this bike !
But first I had to start it.
Kicked it several times before I noticed the gas was turned off ...
I hate how it kick-starts, not just the compression but that you have to kick towards the rear at the top of the stroke then run out of stroke about 2/3 of the way through.
I'm told this is a trials thing.
Afterwards i shut it off and restarted it several times.
Maybe you would get used to it but it was a deal breaker for me. 
EFI and e-start, please, Sherco.
2014 SEF300 Factory
Calgary, AB, Canada

Michael

• Junior
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2014, 09:07:39 AM »
Great day to be out on the X-Ride I even found some nice smooth trails to ride :).

2015 ST250
2014, 290 X-Ride - street legal :).

Nova Scotia Canada

P A Rider

• Junior
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2016, 04:29:39 PM »
So I had the X Ride out with all the fast guys today and came back smiling ! I used all the fork and shock travel for sure , so has anyone done any work to the suspension ? Otherwise this bike is a blast !
If I had all the money I spent on dirt bikes , I would spend it on dirt bikes!
Easton Pa. USA

Olenuf

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2016, 06:26:11 PM »
I think you will or have found that the X-Ride is not a trials bike nor an enduro. I just accept the last rider out position and enjoy myself. I'm never that far behind and frequently catch up, when I find one of them crashed or stalled in a difficult trail section.

Art
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 06:30:40 PM by Olenuf »
Northwest coast, Washington state, USA

P A Rider

• Junior
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2016, 03:32:49 PM »
I do accept that roll and love it  :D on my half breed bike for sure . I just like improving my bikes n that is the main item that I would like to change . I will talk to Drew Smith at WER and see what he has to say ? ::)
Easton Pa. USA

Olenuf

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2016, 06:11:02 PM »
Looked back through the thread and realized that the most of the X-Ride owners have had their Sherco's awhile. Did not mean to come across like a expert.  I'm finding it interesting that we seem to feel the X-Ride is worth hanging onto.  The dealers had a hard time selling them and it's rare to find a used one for sale. May be that there is just not many out there.
As to modding the suspension. I'm satisfied with the stock, and have decreased the dampening just a bit to respond more like a trials machine.  I also have the feeling that the whole design, frame geometry, strength will just not work well when pushed like a heaver built Sherco.  Have to say have not had any problems that would be related to it's light weight build.  Other X-Ride owners need to add as to how they ride. I just don't push mine that hard.

Art 
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 06:12:35 PM by Olenuf »
Northwest coast, Washington state, USA

Boom Boom

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2016, 04:36:03 AM »
My $.02 on the suspension is just ride it.
The sit to stand relationship is too great to attempt to push the bike hard sitting.
I have done well hanging with the faster enduro bikes in the rocky nasty single track but it requires you to ride standing and your legs become the suspension just like with the trials bike. The true weak link to working well as a nimble quicker trail bike is the trials geared tranny.  The gap from 3rd to 4th just kills you when trying to move at a decent clip.  Smaller rear or up one on the front sprocket helps make 3rd work a bit better but then 4th and 5th are truly worthless unless on wide open trail.
I just do not see the existing suspension tolerating being pounded hard like a proper enduro bike.  The X-ride is the perfect cheater bike for those that want to ride places that a trials bike would be the ticket but want the comfort of sitting and ability to touch the ground and dog paddle thru anything that comes along.
Carlisle Pa
2016 Sherco 300 SE-R
2016 Scorpa 300 Factory
Bultaco 350 199b

P A Rider

• Junior
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2016, 04:57:54 PM »
I love that the bike is what it is and enjoy mostly cruising along as a trials type bike with a seat . But have found myself being the anchor of the group last one to get caught up . But I do agree that we have a very unique bike for sure and will not change it for a while since we CFO Barbara and I just planned our vacations . That will require a fast or very slow bike so the X Ride will not see alot of time on it . As far as selling it Not Likely . Just to much fun !  ;D
Easton Pa. USA