Author Topic: 290 X-Ride  (Read 93811 times)

Olenuf

• Junior
    • View Profile
Re: 290 X-Ride
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2016, 06:25:59 PM »
I've been hanging out at the last couple events held by the area trials club, and this has sure pointed out that the X-Ride is not going to fill that desire to use for trials events. At least with my abilities. Looks like the garage may need the addition of a Sherco. ST.

Art
Northwest coast, Washington state, USA

Boom Boom

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2016, 05:20:39 AM »
I've been hanging out at the last couple events held by the area trials club, and this has sure pointed out that the X-Ride is not going to fill that desire to use for trials events. At least with my abilities. Looks like the garage may need the addition of a Sherco. ST.

Art

Could not agree more.
However our vintage events allows a modern bike class and I had good fun on mine having a go at it.  Tight turns was the only thing to take me out.
Carlisle Pa
2016 Sherco 300 SE-R
2016 Scorpa 300 Factory
Bultaco 350 199b

Harry Potter

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2016, 07:27:58 AM »
Has any one riden or compared both the X Ride and the Beta X Trainer? Thanks
I'm in the basket, a "Reprobate."

Michael

• Junior
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2016, 08:47:45 AM »
I find that if I let the bike sit for a while the clutch tend to stick so when I snap it into gear it is best to have a clear path ahead... Clutch works fine after a minute or 2. I have read (on trials central) that putting it in 5th and rocking it back and forth before starting can fix this or putting it in 5th and kicking it over with the bike turned of is another solution. I don't seem to have the same issue with my ST but it is a 2015 so it may just be a matter of time. 
2015 ST250
2014, 290 X-Ride - street legal :).

Nova Scotia Canada

Olenuf

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2016, 10:28:13 AM »
Comparing the X-Ride to the Beta. On the last single track ride we had a rider with us on the Beta. First, must say he is a good trials rider and he can really ride the Cross Trainer. Lots of power off the bottom and geared perfect for tight single track. So if you like to kick up the pace to enduro level it's a real nice choice. Definitely easier to ride than a KTM 300 EXC-W. Build quality seems very good.  Still I'm more of a Sherco X-Ride person.  I like the gearing for a slower pace, and the lighter weight. If I were a bit younger physically I'd love the Beta, but there are lots of choices for good enduro rides.

As to the clutch drag. First do a couple changes with a relative inexpensive oil. I used Rotella T-6 and was surprised at how well the clutch felt using the T-6. I've got  Maxima MTL 80 wt in there now and it seems good with that, but really no better than the T-6. The garage has been in the low 40's F. temp wise and when I start it I  give it a minute or two to warm and find if I pull the clutch in and rock it back and forth and rev it some it seems to free up the plates with the cold trans fluid when I shift into a gear.

Art

Olenuf

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2016, 03:51:11 PM »
After a good day of single track took the usual, for me, garage day to go over the Sherco.

Does your kick stat lever make contact with your foot peg at end of stroke? Try this.

It has bugged me that the kick starter lever makes contact with the foot peg at it's end of travel. I found I could move it one notch on the spline and low and behold it stops it's stroke just before contact with the foot peg. It then hits a side case bolt on folding back and up and need a bit of help to fold and comes to rest when folded against the side case. I deepened the notch on the kick start lever some and this makes it fold in easy. The lever is a bit taller to kick but it seems to like the extra travel and starts better, especially when cold.

Art

Michael

• Junior
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2016, 06:14:59 PM »
That is great news as that bugs me as well.

not exactly sure what you mean by "I deepened the notch on the kick start lever some and this makes it fold in easy." maybe a picture would help.
2015 ST250
2014, 290 X-Ride - street legal :).

Nova Scotia Canada

Olenuf

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2016, 07:07:21 PM »
That is great news as that bugs me as well.

not exactly sure what you mean by "I deepened the notch on the kick start lever some and this makes it fold in easy." maybe a picture would help.

Haven't used the camera in a while and battery needed charging.
When the lever is folded up and in there is one clutch side case bolt head that is close to the kick start lever. On the inside of the lever there is a notch which provides clearance for the bolt head. It also is the place that one of the set screws for the lever hinge is located. When you move the kick start lever on the splines it becomes obvious that it will not fold behind the clutch side case if moved more than one spline. Filing that notch on the kick start lever a bit deeper allowed the lever to fold easily, but the kick start lever does now just touch the clutch side case when folded up and in. Hope that helps. It's very obvious when you move the kick start lever on the shaft splines.

Art
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 07:09:59 PM by Olenuf »

Harry Potter

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2016, 01:56:12 PM »
So would you owners buy another X-Ride?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 07:58:17 PM by Harry Potter »

kkim

• Novice
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2016, 02:04:13 PM »
So would you owners but another X-Ride?

I would, but I'm old and slow. It depends on what you are looking to get out of this bike. I wish Sherco would add electric start to this motor which would make it perfect for me, but I know that will never happen, so I added a Beta Xtrainer to the garage to keep the Xride company. :)

Both are great bikes with slightly different missions.
2012 Sherco X-Ride, 2007 CRF230F converted for D/S, 2015 Beta Xtrainer 300

Olenuf

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2016, 05:38:45 PM »
Would I buy another X-Ride?

Here again I fit the riding style of "old and slow". I can approach a tricky rough trail section and the X-Ride brings a big grin on my face at how it finds traction, doesn't stall, just pulls through stuff so nicely. Push it fast and the gearing is wrong, and the suspension is not right, and  it's a great work out machine for me as I stand on the pegs 99.5% of the time.  If I eventually get a trials machine, it will be interesting to see if the X-Ride gets sold.

Art

Boom Boom

• Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2016, 03:45:45 AM »
Sherco needs to step up the game with this bike if it wants to increase sales.  The Beta Cross Trainer is close in purchase price and offers a nicely sorted out product.
If Sherco would just change the gearing to be more trail friendly that would be a huge step in the correct direction.  It is not a trials bike and should not have trials gearing.
The torque of the trials engine is what makes this bike so friendly and easy to ride. 
Sherco either needs to lower the price or make some improvements to gain market share.
That said if I could only own one bike it would be the X-ride.  I can still ride trials type conditions and still cover modest trail distance with ease and in modest comfort.
Carlisle Pa
2016 Sherco 300 SE-R
2016 Scorpa 300 Factory
Bultaco 350 199b

Harry Potter

• Intermediate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2016, 03:57:01 AM »
Back in January, 2016, I saw Rosco who started this thread win an indoor Enduro Cross on an X-Ride competing against KTMs, Huskys, Yamahas, ect. It was an impressive win for the bike and rider. Now he has the X-Ride and a X-Trainer for sale. I am old and ride slow. I see Sherco has a very unimpressive Web site and no aftermarket support whereas Beta has both. I think the X-Ride would fit me welll but Beta would have better support and resale. Next weekend, weather permitting, I am test riding both. :)   :)

Clay

• Global Moderator
  • Vet
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2016, 07:48:42 AM »
The Beta X Trainer and the X Ride are two totally different bikes. The X Trainer is a modified enduro bike and the X Ride is a modified trials bike. I have to give it to Beta....that X Trainer is a cool motorcycle that the market has wanted for a long time. This kind of illustrates two different marketing philosophies that Sherco and Beta have. Sherco is the typical Euro company that believe the off road world evolves around European racing and Beta has elected to put all of their eggs in the US basket. I have an idea how many motorcycles Beta sells and I have an idea how much Beta spends on racing here and it doesn't make sense unless you figure that this is their race budget for the world. My point though is that Beta in Italy listens more to what we want here in the US than Sherco does but Sherco will get better at listening to us here when my numbers get higher. And they will.
As far as the website and other things mentioned..... Please keep in mind that Beta owns the company that sells Betas here in the US so Beta puts money into employees, websites, racing etc. I am an independent distributor and whatever gets done here in the US is on my nickle. Sherco gives me some discounts on bikes and that is it! Honestly it has been tough for the last couple of years but, so far, 2016 has picked up substantially and if it continues into 2017 I will be in good shape next year to do more with my website and race support. Even though my company is smaller I hope that the fact that I am accessible to you guys means something. I am and should be the expert on Sherco here in the US and I'll answer my phone on Sunday afternoon if you have a question. A couple of weeks ago I had a customer call me while at the gas stop at an enduro in TX.  ;D
I still say the best marketing tool in the industry is happy customers here on this forum and I appreciate all of your help. For example: Almost every time I speak to a customer they ask about parts availability and I try to reassure them that I have parts and then I ask them if they have been on this forum. They almost always say they have and so I ask if they have seen any complaints about a shortage of parts. Of course the answer is no and that pretty much ends the parts concern that everyone has.
Speaking of parts.... I have just begun to use DHL and they have cut the shipping time from France to 5 days. It was 10 with UPS. Pretty happy about that!
Back to Harry's point on aftermarket support..... The parts that fit the bigger Betas will fit he X Trainer. The X Ride is a totally different bike and it's small numbers  so, no, the aftermarket companies won't build parts for it. On resale I have to disagree. Sherco and Betas have been holding their values well and guys get good money for their used bikes. I was concerned about this when I started this but it has not been an issue.
Clay Stuckey
Sherco Offroad  www.shercooffroad.com
email: clay@shercooffroad.com
cell: 615 347 6519
Tennessee, USA

Olenuf

• Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2016, 10:11:57 AM »
It would be interesting to compare, the Sherco 250 & 300 SEF enduros  to the Beta X-Trainer, for the begining enduro, single track rider. Does Sherco need a de-tuned enduro?

Art